Dress for men

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Dress for men

Post by Big and Bashful »

Jim wrote:
Big and Bashful wrote:Or this? both from Eshakti.

https://img1.eshakti.com/clothImages/CL ... jpg?w=1480
Yes, this one looks fine. I don't know why a man would want the restricted stride that the first one would seem to result in.
I suppose that is what the button front is for, adjust for temperature and freedom of stride as you wish, just don't go too far!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

GerdG wrote:By the way, I still have to see a dress, in which more than just one or two men might look acceptable.
I must ask, how do you decide what looks acceptable on whom?
Having broken through imposed restrictions, should we really create more for ourselves?
My thought is that I don't ask for permission or approval on what I choose to wear.
Steve.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

STEVIE wrote:My thought is that I don't ask for permission or approval on what I choose to wear.
I concur completely. If we place restrictions on ourselves at this point, where will they end? Back to trousers?

A few minutes ago I got to thinking about what a stranger might think upon entering my living-space without some level of introduction beforehand. Put bluntly, it's somewhat of a "man cave" with technological bits strewn here, there, and everywhere, more books and technical doco than one can shake a stick at, and -- at least once a week -- various bits of my "delicate" laundry (go on, use your imagination, I know you want to) hung to dry where there are places to hang it from.

Music at the moment: David Lanz and his retouch of Procol Harum's A Whiter Shade of Pale which pushes a 45+ year "rewind button" on me. Of things and dreams that might have been bit never were...
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

STEVIE wrote:
GerdG wrote:By the way, I still have to see a dress, in which more than just one or two men might look acceptable.
I must ask, how do you decide what looks acceptable on whom?
Having broken through imposed restrictions, should we really create more for ourselves?
My thought is that I don't ask for permission or approval on what I choose to wear.
Steve.
There's everyone having their own style, and then there's the basics. I'm talking colors, proportions, fit, and so on. I see people across the spectrum from non-skirt wearing guys to women of all stripes get every single one of these wrong (generally not all at once), and it winds up looking bad almost every time whether it is one or all of those things. Much of this depends on the person (complexion, body type, etc.) which is why so many people seem to struggle with it. Learning to get it right can also help too refine that personal style.

There are "rules" for these things, but really they are more like guidelines. If you can get everything else right, you can intentionally break a "rule" and make it look better than following it would have. Break too many, and you risk looking like an idiot who can't dress himself. Add to that the extra scrutiny that comes with wearing something unusual (like a skirt on a guy), and throwing caution to the wind becomes a really bad idea.

We don't want to make new restrictions, but heeding the other ones that were already there seems prudent if we want to make skirt wearing for guys look reasonable. Or if you just don't want people to write you of as a crazy person.

In short, we should try to look good.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Everyone has his own opinion of what looks good or bad, and as long as those opinions are politely issued, they should be politely received and rebutted. For example, I might find one style of lace on a skirt or dress worn by a man acceptable, but not another favored by another member. And a third member may find any lace on a man’s garment unacceptable. I hope we can deal with opinions. After all, everyone’s got one.

My own possibly objectionable opinion on dresses is that a sleeveless dress (as opposed to a tank) only looks good on men with “buff” or “cut” musculature in their arms and shoulders. One expects a woman to have arms and shoulders that are not well-defined. Unfortunately, and perhaps unfairly, standards are higher for men, IMHO. I couldn’t pass my own standards.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...