Boris, eh?

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Boris, eh?

Post by Ray »

This isn't an easy one. There are passionate debates in the UK on this one. At worst, we could see the break up of the UK. At best? I do not know.

In the spirit of an equitable dialogue, I would be interested in the views of any who voted to leave the EU;

(a) what their reasons were for voting leave
(b) what their views are now
(c) what they see as the advantages of being outside the EU.

Point (c) is the most important, as after three years, I am not aware of a cohesive plan for the world after leaving the EU. I would be very interested to hear this, as I am keen to learn.

I'm not interested in the personal views of our politicians. I find myself appalled by the self-serving nature of most of them, with very few exceptions, so I'd be interested in the facts, the proposed plans, and the Cafe's thoughts on these.

Ray
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

Boris, yes, most interesting. Having read his book on Churchill, one can't get away from the impression that C is B's idol. As was indicated on the English radio while discussing the Boris Bounce, he would like to become Churchill II. I think it were better if Boris would remain Boris.
The good thing, at least something may start to happen, as I believe is now the general consensus. At least of those with whom I talked in the UK during the last few days. It's also expected that the chance that London as financial centre will become less important is not te be. It will provide the chance to become more competitive and it's gearing up thereto already. Brussels might be saying we shan't alter the agreement; time will tell if Brussels will want to do without the UK. As Junckers and Boris exchanged mobile phone numbers, I wouldn't be surprised if the summer reces won't be reces for most involved. I wouldn't be surprised if discussions are conducted right now but not including Barnier on the EU side, as a more pragmatic approach might be called for. The relationship between the French and Brits has always been a "love/hate" thing.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Views of a Leave voter, OK, Thoughts currently being thunk by me while totally sober:

I am an Englishman, who has now lived in central Scotland for well over thirty years, I voted against an independent Scotland, I would again.
I voted to leave the E.U. I would vote that way again.

Why did I vote against an independent Scotland? Scotland is too small to be independent, the SNP led by the wee Krankie are living in a dream world promising prosperity, North sea oil is well past it's peak, there aren't many other major assets I can think of apart from some wonderful but damp scenery and one of the best items of mass warfare the world has ever seen, erm, the midge!
Why did I vote to leave the E.U.? I don't like this septic isle being ruled by an unelected European commission, where Britain seems to be the only country in the EU that does it's best to obey every law that the commission produces while most of the rest of Europe just ignores them. I would like to see the UK have control over the fishing of it's own waters, I have never had a problem with immigration, probably because I am an immigrant to Scotland and live in an area that hasn't got an immigrant "problem" Most people immigrating to the UK avoid the wettest, coolest, midgiest parts of Scotland, they have more sense! I just think the UK can be a success on it's own two feet.

None of these views have changed, I still feel and would vote the same way. I want to see a UNITED Kingdom which is a part of Europe and is not part of that corrupt political cesspit known as the E.U. but has it's own trade deals and it's own autonomy (Please excuse my random and probably totally incorrect use of apostrophes, I am never quite sure and no longer care)

What has changed? any hope I had that the UK Government would negotiate any sort of deal has died during the last couple of years. The whole lot of them are just bickering, there has been no attempt to negotiate with each other to come to a compromise and present a united front to Europe. Not helped by Teresa May who judging by the News adopted the same approach at Westminster as at Brussels-
Theresa- "Gonna sign this thing?"
Europe/Westminster/DUP/Labour/SNP- "No."
Theresa- "Gonna sign it now?"
Etc.

About 12 months ago I gave up, now everytime a political article or a politician starts spouting on the news, I turn over or turn off, I am conscious of the fact that BoJo is our new PM and is currently promising the moon on a plate, so still lies, damn lies, but maybe his enthusiasm will get him further that Theresa's knocking her head against a brick wall approach. I will find out after it happens, but only if I am too slow changing channels on TV.

(Purposely avoided reading previous posts as much as possible so hopefully I haven't upset anyone!)
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

If I understand correctly, it is in E.U. interests to make an example of Britain. To discourage other countries from leaving.

Prime Minister May, therefore, had an impossible task-to negotiate a Brexit that would include a good trade deal with the E.U.

I have seen predictions that, with a hard Brexit, the U.K. economy will suffer depression conditions in the short term. There are reasons to believe that the U.K. economy would eventually recover.

BTW, I suspect that a hard Brexit will kill off NATO. I have seen online comments by Brits about withdrawing British forces from E.U. countries.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Big and Bashful wrote:
Why did I vote against an independent Scotland? Scotland is too small to be independent, the SNP led by the wee Krankie are living in a dream world promising prosperity, North sea oil is well past it's peak, there aren't many other major assets I can think of apart from some wonderful but damp scenery and one of the best items of mass warfare the world has ever seen, erm, the midge!

Norway, Denmark and Finland seem to manage, despite having much the same population and two of them having no oil at all. Major assets of Finland? Lakes and trees. Of Denmark? Legoland and farms. Maybe all those countries have something else to make them economically viable. Maybe Scotland has too.
Big and Bashful wrote:Why did I vote to leave the E.U.? I don't like this septic isle being ruled by an unelected European commission

Whereas Britain is world-famous for electing its bureaucrats!
Big and Bashful wrote:where Britain seems to be the only country in the EU that does it's best to obey every law that the commission produces while most of the rest of Europe just ignores them.

"Seems" is the important word here. What sources led you to believe that? The UK media is notoriously anti-EU, faithfully reporting any misdemeanours of the French while ignoring ours, or twisting them and reporting them as those horrible Europeans forcing us to do something we don't want to do. In fact we are somewhere in the middle of the table. https://ec.europa.eu/commission/pressco ... IP_19_3030
Big and Bashful wrote:I just think the UK can be a success on it's own two feet.

None of these views have changed, I still feel and would vote the same way. I want to see a UNITED Kingdom which is a part of Europe and is not part of that corrupt political cesspit known as the E.U. but has it's own trade deals and it's own autonomy

The cesspit: fair enough, but is Britain really any better? A government which has openly bought support from an extremist party which pretty much everyone previously regarded with disdain.

Success on our own two feet / our own trade deals: we have no chance of negotiating trade deals as good as the ones we are about to walk away from. No chance at all. Japan has said as much about its new deal with the EU came into effect this year. Like other large countries, it is bigger than the UK and won't have to give us the same concessions it gave the EU. Small countries are queuing up to replicate their EU deals with the UK. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47213842
Meanwhile the USA is licking its lips.
Big and Bashful wrote:What has changed? any hope I had that the UK Government would negotiate any sort of deal has died during the last couple of years. The whole lot of them are just bickering, there has been no attempt to negotiate with each other to come to a compromise and present a united front to Europe. Not helped by Teresa May who judging by the News adopted the same approach at Westminster as at Brussels-
Etc.

Sad but true. However don't forget that a large chunk of the Tory party voted against the deal as well. And the noises from Johnson are even less hopeful. Back in the old days, in 2016, the Leavers all said they wanted a deal, we would get a deal easily, leaving without a deal would be crazy. Why do they not want one any more? It's still crazy, they know that, but May pissed two years up the wall and now it's all about who has the biggest balls.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Sinned wrote:Alastair, the main paragraph had nothing opinionated. I did that in a footnote and nailed my colours. Maybe I should just give up now and ignore this thread from this point on. All right YOU continue the factual narrative since you seem to be so good at the factualisations.

Signed off, no more. Don't bother posting a reply as I will not read it. Well done Alistair you have just poisoned this thread. Cal/Al please lock it to stop it getting more toxic.

Oh, go on, Dennis, come up with some facts in support of your opinions. I've done it, in this thread and the previous one. It's so much better than stomping off in a huff. Harder work, mind you, but that's life. And I thought that was the whole point of the thread in the first place, to provide nice non-toxic factualisations for the edification of our friends around the world.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

skirtyscot wrote:
Sinned wrote:Alastair, the main paragraph had nothing opinionated. I did that in a footnote and nailed my colours. Maybe I should just give up now and ignore this thread from this point on. All right YOU continue the factual narrative since you seem to be so good at the factualisations.

Signed off, no more. Don't bother posting a reply as I will not read it. Well done Alistair you have just poisoned this thread. Cal/Al please lock it to stop it getting more toxic.

Oh, go on, Dennis, come up with some facts in support of your opinions. I've done it, in this thread and the previous one. It's so much better than stomping off in a huff. Harder work, mind you, but that's life. And I thought that was the whole point of the thread in the first place, to provide nice non-toxic factualisations for the edification of our friends around the world.
Indeed, non toxic and thus no hamer by CRfriend or one of the other moderators.

It's interesting to see how history repeats itself. The US revolted after the UK imposed new taxes. Amongst one of the frontrunners of that revolution was the Dutch cobler who became laywer on the way, Abraham Yates. French revolutions were also caused by heavy taxes imposed and the way of collecting these. Still tax offices, if they have a chance, will leave you only so much that you can only scrape by daily life.
Now in essence the Brexit is caused by an "authority" which isn't accepted by many of the Brits. Brussels is lucrative for many working there as they earn 4 to 5 times more than they would earn for the same work in their native country.
On of the main questions which is out there and isn't answered properly, is the one as to who has the real power. Is it the president of the EU or Mekel or Macron or the monarchs of Europe via a special advisory board?
As to the media in the UK, like in most other EU countries, these tend to be leftish.
It will be interesting to see what happens with the VAT(sales tax) in the UK after an actual Brexit, as the VAT is funding Brussels.
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

Big and Bashful wrote:Views of a Leave voter, OK, Thoughts currently being thunk by me while totally sober:

Why did I vote to leave the E.U.? I don't like this septic isle being ruled by an unelected European commission, where Britain seems to be the only country in the EU that does it's best to obey every law that the commission produces while most of the rest of Europe just ignores them.
B&B,

where did you get this information? Fake news? My country does not ignore any of these laws. Sweden does not. Germany does not. Holland does not, etc.
GerdG

There ARE viable alternatives to trousers.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Great a political battle and I had nothing to do with it :lol: :lol: :lol:

My only question is where can I find some Benny Hill rerunds
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

oldsalt1 wrote:...... My only question is where can I find some Benny Hill rerunds
Just a teaser from YouTube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epKqu_VHbQU

There are also DVDs available but check the region code. 1 is for USA and 2 is for Europe.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

oldsalt1 wrote:Great a political battle and I had nothing to do with it :lol: :lol: :lol:

My only question is where can I find some Benny Hill rerunds
Now there was a great comedian. I always enjoyed his work! I have found some on E-Bay and on Amazon.com.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Nope, not a battle, well not from me anyway, I shared my thoughts, I am not arguing with anyone, not getting into any heated debates, this is an interesting thread so far, flame wars and on-line arguing leads to too many threads being locked so I am going to be a good little boy (well, large old man!) and resist the urge to turn things into a mass debate.

Let's be nice! "Little book of Calm, little book of calm!" ( and that quote is by________ and from ______, anyone who can name character, actor and programme can buy themselves a jelly baby, or two!)
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

The amount of civility in this thread is quite refreshing :D
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Keep up the good work folks :D
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

Big and Bashful wrote:Views of a Leave voter, OK, Thoughts currently being thunk by me while totally sober:

What has changed? any hope I had that the UK Government would negotiate any sort of deal has died during the last couple of years. The whole lot of them are just bickering, there has been no attempt to negotiate with each other to come to a compromise and present a united front to Europe. Not helped by Teresa May who judging by the News adopted the same approach at Westminster as at Brussels-
Etc.
What is missing in my opinion:
T: do you have any suggestions?
HoC: no
T: Do you have an alternative?
HoC: no

(HoC = House of Commons)

Maybe the members of the House of Commons should visit the common grounds and walk between the sheep and their dung...

Things went in my humble opinion wrong at the very moment the HoC got a larger say via the Judge, thus two skippers on the bridge of the ship.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Fred in Skirts wrote:Now there was a great comedian. I always enjoyed his work! I have found some on E-Bay and on Amazon.com.
Fred,
Do you really mean, The Benny Hill?
Steve.