Boris, eh?

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Boris, eh?

Post by dillon »

benny hill and fools.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Boris, eh?

Post by dillon »

I apologize for that post, but I couldn't resist. Benny Hill most certainly did NOT deserve to be lumped in with the other two clowns, Trump and Johnson. Mr. Hill did something of essential worth. He actually made people happy.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I don't know really why the Brexit whatsit is still locked. It's a really interesting time in British politics [0] and some very strange things may happen yet about the resistance to Boris being P.M., Brexit and devolution. The next stage is announcing the Cabinet later today. I think that I'd have preferred Hunt but I'm sure that Boris will be entertaining, if nothing else. Maybe the U.S. and us have got the leaders we deserve!!!! :twisted:
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Sinned wrote: I'm sure that Boris will be entertaining disastrous, if nothing else.

There, I fixed that for you.

It was a fatuous remark: it's not the Prime Minister's job to be entertaining. The only people who might be entertained will be people who live abroad and have a keenly developed sense of schadenfreude.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

How aptly put !

if nothing else. Maybe the U.S. and us have got the leaders we deserve!!!!
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Alastair, I used the word "entertaining" deliberately as I'm sure that whatever else he does it will all be interesting with some amusing interludes. As for "disastrously" well, apart from picking his cabinet he hasn't done anything yet and disastrously can only be applied after the events not to assumed future events. We'll see and please don't put words into my mouth. He's probably more intelligent than his buffoonery indicates so we'll see if he shows any of that intelligence. The next 98 days will be worth following.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Indeed. It's what will follow those 98 days that I am worried about.

And he may not have done anything disastrous yet, but he hasn't done anything entertaining either, so you're exhibiting double standards by telling me off for making a prediction in response to yours.

Trying to remember the last entertaining thing he did. Reciting "The Road to Mandalay"? No. Getting suspended above the Thames? No, he just looked like a twat. I give in; your turn.

"Interesting" I can agree with, but not in a good way.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

The. whole turn of recent events in Westminster sends serious shivers rippling in our direction here in Ireland. Fortunately we have sensible people at the helm here and perhaps they may be able to stand up to the likes of Boris.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Gentlemen, let's not get our knickers in a twist over politics. The use of the term "entertaining" in that particular context can have any number of meanings depending on one's viewpoint -- and there are a lot of viewpoints around, including some from sworn enemies who hold deep enmity for us.

I have come to quite heartily detest "living the Chinese Curse" of, "May you live in 'interesting' times."
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Alastair, not going to argue with you on any point as I don't think it worth the aggro. You're coming across as not a Borisophile whilst I am neither on his side or against him - he is what he is. Whatever happens will happen without either of us being able to effect the outcomes. All we can do is, being a passenger on the UK vehicle, is endure the ride which may be very tumultuous .... or not. Whatever, our humble little abode here in York is a designated Euro-free zone and has been for a number of years. We are just waiting for the rest of the country to catch up with us.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

He needs a haircut !
I would not want him ruling like his unruly mop of a hair do -
this posting from my bald headed view - no politics involved.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

It could be an interesting run up to Brexit. "No deal" is now the official gambit for the remainder of this parliament [0]. Parliament goes into recession. No danger of them doing any business during their holidays. Not even in an emergency. No sessions before the beginning of September to sort out any of the negotiations taking place in the meantime. If the remainers [0] still continue to oppose any deal negotiated over the break and pass a vote of no confidence then, unless the vote comes very, very early in the next session, then there is a minimum of 6 weeks run up for a General Election which would put that to mid-to-late-October at the earliest. We could then have the possibility of an Election around Brexit time. No deal would then become the default and push through irrespective of what parliament votes. As was said in the news this morning, it will be interesting to see who blinks first, Boris or Europe. I think that we should keep this thread open on developments in the run up to Brexit and as I am neutral on Boris and the Tories I will try to make my comments fair and factual [1]. Please, Alastair and others, personal opinions and snide remarks should be kept out but factual comments welcomed otherwise the thread could degenerate very quickly and that would be a shame.

[0] I refuse to capitalise as I don't think the institution has earned that respect at the moment. Same with the brexiteers and remainers.
[1] I voted Brexit and still think that we shouldn't be part of the politically integrated European dream. Trading, yes. I used to be Tory so nail my colours to the mast but now I'm not sure how I would vote in the next election. Brexit? Maybe. Lib-Dems, no, as their strong pro-Europe stance would prevent that. Labour, never while ineffectual, racist Corbin is leader. Tories, a short while ago I would have said no, but we'll see how the next few months pan out. "I could not vote for any of the above candidates", a possibility if it were on the ballot paper.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Of course I'm not a fan of Johnson. He's utterly self-serving and a habitual liar. He is generally reckoned to have been our worst Foreign Secretary since WWII. It is hard to imagine anyone less suited to being Prime Minister.

Dennis, you ask everyone to avoid opinions and stick to facts, yet in the same post you state some of your own opinions. A bit of consistency wouldn't go amiss.

You appear to be sanguine about the prospect of a no-deal Brexit. Why? I genuinely cannot understand why anybody thinks this would be a good thing. What benefits do you think it would bring, to you personally or to the UK?
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Alastair, the main paragraph had nothing opinionated. I did that in a footnote and nailed my colours. Maybe I should just give up now and ignore this thread from this point on. All right YOU continue the factual narrative since you seem to be so good at the factualisations.

Signed off, no more. Don't bother posting a reply as I will not read it. Well done Alistair you have just poisoned this thread. Cal/Al please lock it to stop it getting more toxic.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Gentlemen, please. One of the most basic things that needs to happen in any thread such as this is to have the ability to "agree to disagree" -- and to do so politely. What we have here, sadly, is a fairly strong counterexample.

Please don't make me "drop the hammer".
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!