kilt skirt

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
kiltedterry

kilt skirt

Post by kiltedterry »

Hi all,
I have been wearing kilts full time for some years, but have just bought a wool kilt skirt on ebay.
I'm looking forward to wearing it in public as it will be interesting to see if anyone notices the fringe on the left of the apron rather than the right side.
I hope it will fit me ok so I can wear it ASAP rather than having to alter it (although I will add some internal construction to it at some point).
I would be interested in hearing other members experiences wearing kilt skirts.
Apologies if this topic has been done to death on the forums already.

Terry
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Re: kilt skirt

Post by Fred in Skirts »

:welcome:

Welcome kiltedterry to the best place on the planet to talk about men wearing skirts and or kilts. So grab a cup and sit back and enjoy!!

Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

One of my favorites is a wool A line skirt. It has no wrap, but does have pockets. It is a very large plaid pattern on a diagonal.

People almost always call it a kilt.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Welcome kt, and in answer to your question about the great unwashed noticing the "handedness" of the skirt, no 99.99% will not notice the difference. In fact very few women will notice and nobody will say anything. When I wear a skirt out and about nobody really notices, so why would they notice a kilt worn by a man that's dressed on the opposite side? So wear it with confidence.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Hello, kt. :)
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Forget the construction adjustments modifications extra tailoring - - -
Unless invited to a Scottish lodge for something formal you will do just fine.
The only obvious betraying factor will be the (hem) length -
does it break below the knee ? - this will be the test - kilts stop at the knee
longer than that it becomes a skirt albeit a kilted skirt
For smart casual add a kilt pin near the fringe side.

And welcome to the SC !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
kiltedterry

Post by kiltedterry »

Morning all.
Many thanks for your welcomes and comments.
Alas the kilt skirt is too small by about 3 inches around the waist. My mistake for thinking that a UK size 16 is a 36" waist. I will always ask for the waist size from now on. The upside is that it was quite cheap!
I might have a go at making the waist 3" bigger by putting some extra pleats in the back cut out from the under apron and add some other fabric to bring the under apron back to size...an over winter job. Change the straps too, to thin coloured leather.
Agreed about extra construction...its not worth the effort and would detract from the "flimsiness" of the skirt.
Apart from that its gorgeous...great colours ,tiny straps and buckles, ultra light weight wool it feels like there is nothing to it, which is very different from my usual wool kilts. As to the length its 22.5" total drop, so it sits just at the top of my knee caps, which is a great length.
Terry
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Only off by 3 inches a near miss in misses sizing ! LOL !

Next time think along the (USA) rule of 20
Take the USA misses size and add 20 to it to get an approximate waist measurement i.e. that size 16 add 20 = 36
You have already found out about the UK mis-measurement - so that UK 16 needs to add 4 inches to get the 36

Having a skirt kilt with pleats it is awkward to install a side panel of 1.5 inches to increase the waist.
With a flat surface adding such a panel would like adding racing stripes but said pleats are not all
that easy to work with. Adding one two or three pleats per side of a solid color would work but the
cost of the alteration would take or make this out of the question - still yet if you don't off the skirt
to a charity or resell - you may have something to think about getting an education in skirted
construction see how your measurements match with the garment to made a better judgment on
your next venture - what is my waist and where is it located - what is ratio of the hips to the waist -
how does the hem length compare to where I wear my skirt kilt on the waist - and a thought of
maybe having the back hem just an inch or two longer than the front for modesty convenience.

You can make a bigger skirt smaller - but you can't without material make a smaller one bigger.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
kiltedterry

Post by kiltedterry »

Hi r.m.a,
If I were to alter this kilt skirt I would cut the required width off the edge of the underapron, pleat it and then insert at the middle back. It would mean unpicking some of the waistband then resewing it with the extra inches added to it covering the extra bit of fabric I would need to add to the underapron to replace that stolen to increase the overall waist. Getting the pleats pattern at the back to match might be tricky.
Maybe its just too much work to do all that.
Possibly I could sew the aprons together (getting the correct waist dimension) and add a zip to the side.
Anyway, I'm currently finishing off my latest worsted wool box-pleated kilt, so the kilt skirt has been put in the wardrobe for now. But I'll keep looking on ebay for another one, maybe a longer length one, of the correct waist size!.
Terry
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Yeah, the rule of 20 still applies over here - it's just that the fashion industry uses an inch that's about 10% shorter than the universal standard!!!! :(

Plus maths was never their strongest attribute.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

Unless you think of participating in some Scottish event, you can buy a kilted skirt - in the correct size - and wear it without considering to have it changed.

A tartan skirt, closed and with a zipper on the back. It is taken for a kilt.

A mini-kilt, wraps to the "wrong" side and too short to be a kilt. No problem at all.

Another short skirt, by most people taken for a kilt.
GerdG

There ARE viable alternatives to trousers.
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

GERD,

Where did you buy those skirts and what brand are they? Are they wrap skirts? great look.
kiltedterry

Post by kiltedterry »

Hi Gerd,
thanks for the reassurances and the pictures which are very helpful.
I guess I shall have to start scouring charity shops.
Terry
kiltedterry

Post by kiltedterry »

I have just bought a wool kilt skirt off ebay that is definitely my size, with room to grow a bit
Its 27" long, so I may take up the hem a little bit.
Exciting times!
Terry
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

kiltedterry wrote:Hi all,

Apologies if this topic has been done to death on the forums already.

Terry
Not yet.