Out and About -- In the World at Large

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by skirtyscot »

renesm1 wrote: P.S. Despite wearing a kilt, I still managed to feel too hot and bothered

You should invest in a linen one like mine!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

moonshadow wrote:
Regular Guy wrote:
moonshadow wrote:Darryl,

No but seriously, you're lucky you didn't get arrested. There are hoards of people across the land just itching to make an example out of a mishap like that and paint us all with the same brush of "perverted". Look at what happened to our friend in Valdosta.
Moon, what are you referring to in Valdosta?
RG
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=19311&p=184455&hil ... ta#p184455

https://www.wbrc.com/story/37573004/man ... -accident/

See that is unfortunate. I remember reading that original article about him deciding to shop for and wear skirts. I remember thinking there's a great MIS ambassador decently promoting skirts for men.

Unfortunately he has put a black mark on MIS.

Negative press just slows down our acceptance. And give people cause to not trust or accept MIS.
Again we get put into a box with in this case the perv box.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

skirtyscot wrote:
renesm1 wrote: P.S. Despite wearing a kilt, I still managed to feel too hot and bothered

You should invest in a linen one like mine!
Lightweight linen is a great material for hot weather, I am always on the lookout for a linen skirt in the style I like; short, with belt loops and pockets. Crumples easily but I am not worried about appearance when it is hot.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Charlie »

Next door, there live twin girls, six years old. The've seen me many times in various skirts and we've had many conversations about me wearing them.
Today, I was working in the garden, minding my own business and wearing a knee-length denim skirt - sunny day, so nice and comfortable.
The girls had a visitor, another girl of about their age.
"That's Charlie, he wears a skirt!" said one of the twins.
"A skirt?????!!!!" said the visitor. I'm sure I heard the main circuit breaker, or at least several fuses pop inside her head. She'd obviously never contemplated that a male could possibly were anything but trousers. They wanted to see the skirt, but it meant I'd have to climb on to the fence, so I declined. Five minutes later they were playing happily again.
Hopefully the idea of males wearing skirts had been planted in her mind and will grow to some form of acceptance in the future. It just seems so wrong that girls are brought up taking for granted that they can switch between skirts and trousers without a second thought, while boys are told they must only wear two tubes - or at least not told they could wear a skirt if they wanted to.
Charlie
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Charlie wrote:t just seems so wrong that girls are brought up taking for granted that they can switch between skirts and trousers without a second thought, while boys are told they must only wear two tubes - or at least not told they could wear a skirt if they wanted to.
^+1
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

Sometimes I wonder, whether children 2019 know that skirts are worn /expected to be worn entirely by women?
They never or seldom see their mothers wearing a skirt. That they haven’t seen their father or other men wearing one might be sheer coincidence.
At least I have, when out and about, several times met groups of kindergarten or school children but for the last fifteen years or so no one has ever reacted to my skirts. Some have looked at me for a split second when passing by but then immediately after been back to their own business. He had a skirt on, hadn’t he? Have I seen that before? I don’t remember? But so what?
GerdG

There ARE viable alternatives to trousers.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Winding our way to AZ to move my daughter to ASU for grad school. After two miserable days in shorts, due to business I had to conduct on the way, I was back in a skirt today. We stopped in a town in Arkansas for gas and lunch, and I popped into a Walmart to buy some sodas and beer, only to discover it was a dry county. I didn’t think such things existed outside Utah, but that revelation was enough for me to become aware of the odd looks. I definitely don’t fit in in the Bible Belt any more, despite being a resident of it. I have enough enlightened places to escape to in N.C. Too, tonight in Oklahoma City I felt perfectly comfortable despite obvious stares. But it was because there were enough other freaks around to reassure me. Eccentricity loves company, I suppose. I’ll be skirted again tomorrow from here to Albuquerque. Today I was in a Merrill tan stretch nylon outdoor style skirt. Tomorrow probably the same or similar. I packed one pair trousers, two shorts, and four or five skirts and skorts. Trousers in particular are miserable for me now; skirts have become the norm.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Charlie wrote:Next door, there live twin girls, six years old. The've seen me many times in various skirts and we've had many conversations about me wearing them.
Today, I was working in the garden, minding my own business and wearing a knee-length denim skirt - sunny day, so nice and comfortable.
The girls had a visitor, another girl of about their age.
"That's Charlie, he wears a skirt!" said one of the twins.
"A skirt?????!!!!" said the visitor. I'm sure I heard the main circuit breaker, or at least several fuses pop inside her head. She'd obviously never contemplated that a male could possibly were anything but trousers. They wanted to see the skirt, but it meant I'd have to climb on to the fence, so I declined. Five minutes later they were playing happily again.
Hopefully the idea of males wearing skirts had been planted in her mind and will grow to some form of acceptance in the future. It just seems so wrong that girls are brought up taking for granted that they can switch between skirts and trousers without a second thought, while boys are told they must only wear two tubes - or at least not told they could wear a skirt if they wanted to.
Charlie
Nice story. :-)
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

dillon wrote:We stopped in a town in Arkansas for gas and lunch, and I popped into a Walmart to buy some sodas and beer, only to discover it was a dry county. I didn’t think such things existed outside Utah, but that revelation was enough for me to become aware of the odd looks.
No wonder, those people are the way they are. But that they exist in the first place...
GerdG

There ARE viable alternatives to trousers.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

dillon wrote: didn’t think such things existed outside Utah, but that revelation was enough for me to become aware of the odd looks.
I think Kentucky has a few of those.... and if you want strange looks... take a stroll up highway 23 in eastern Kentrucy and stop for gas or a bite to eat in your skirt...

... been there... done that... was rebuked many-a-times in the name of JUUEEZUSSSsssss....... (from afar)

Pffttt....
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

I was shopping for skirts yesterday because with the end of summer near, the new styles will be out and skirts will disappear. A young lady asked if I needed any help as I may have stuck out as a male in the women's department. The store is not arranged by category, but by brand and they are separated all over the store. I told the young sales associate I was looking for short "masculine" skirts and she must have taken that as a challenge and commenced to lead me around the entire floor of a large department store. She knew exactly what I was looking for and was making decisions about what would look the best and what would be appropriate and comfortable. Our conversation included how long I had been wearing skirts, why, and how I started. She thought everything I said was logical and agreed about the comfort and freedom, unlimited stride, and ventilation. It's funny that the skirts worn by women in the military were impossible to run with. I think and hope they have changed.

After walking around the store, looking at the inventory on her portable computer, digging in the back room, we settled on eight skirts. Some were "office" style, some were "active" style, some were "casual." I said I would like to try them on and we went to a dressing room. I changed into each one and came out to show her and seek her opinion. I need to know from another person's perspective how conspicuous I appear, especially in back where I can't see. She made comments, asked me to turn around, and asked questions. I was noticing that each time I came out of the fitting room she was getting nervous and excited. She was very nice and I could tell she was noticing the bulge in front, which I worry about and always wear a tee shirt untucked in an attempt to cover up. Between she and I we decided on three skirts, which I followed her to the register to buy. I told her she was pretty and I get dazzled around pretty girls She was ordinary and a little over weight." She had a slight movement like a chill. I also had a rush. Her name was Marelen, not Marilyn. I was afraid to say anything near sexual innuendo or harassment.
Message to any guy if they want to meet girls: shop for women's clothing, lingerie, or skirts, with the help of a sales associate. I am very happily married and not in the market for anything extra. If I was I would have hit on her even though she was much younger than I am.

My wife and I went to Red Robin for dinner and I wore one of my new skirts. I live in a very hot climate and it was refreshing until leaving and my thighs stuck to the seat cushion. Small price for so much comfort.
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

Happy-N-Skirts wrote:I was shopping for skirts yesterday because with the end of summer near, the new styles will be out and skirts will disappear. A young lady asked if I needed any help as I may have stuck out as a male in the women's department. The store is not arranged by category, but by brand and they are separated all over the store. I told the young sales associate I was looking for short "masculine" skirts and she must have taken that as a challenge and commenced to lead me around the entire floor of a large department store. She knew exactly what I was looking for and was making decisions about what would look the best and what would be appropriate and comfortable. Our conversation included how long I had been wearing skirts, why, and how I started. She thought everything I said was logical and agreed about the comfort and freedom, unlimited stride, and ventilation. It's funny that the skirts worn by women in the military were impossible to run with. I think and hope they have changed.

After walking around the store, looking at the inventory on her portable computer, digging in the back room, we settled on eight skirts. Some were "office" style, some were "active" style, some were "casual." I said I would like to try them on and we went to a dressing room. I changed into each one and came out to show her and seek her opinion. I need to know from another person's perspective how conspicuous I appear, especially in back where I can't see. She made comments, asked me to turn around, and asked questions. I was noticing that each time I came out of the fitting room she was getting nervous and excited. She was very nice and I could tell she was noticing the bulge in front, which I worry about and always wear a tee shirt untucked in an attempt to cover up. Between she and I we decided on three skirts, which I followed her to the register to buy. I told her she was pretty and I get dazzled around pretty girls She was ordinary and a little over weight." She had a slight movement like a chill. I also had a rush. Her name was Marelen, not Marilyn. I was afraid to say anything near sexual innuendo or harassment.
Message to any guy if they want to meet girls: shop for women's clothing, lingerie, or skirts, with the help of a sales associate. I am very happily married and not in the market for anything extra. If I was I would have hit on her even though she was much younger than I am.

My wife and I went to Red Robin for dinner and I wore one of my new skirts. I live in a very hot climate and it was refreshing until leaving and my thighs stuck to the seat cushion. Small price for so much comfort.
I guess I won't be the only one who is curious as to what you bought.
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

TO: Gusto
RE: My shopping Spree
SUB: Skirts

I ended up buying three skirts. Two were stealthy and the fit was nearly straight up and down. One was gray and light weight that might be an office style, not pencil. They are just above my knees. The other one is a solid light blue. The third one is very short and light weight and is about mid thigh. I will wear it around the house and when hiking in the wilderness. Dark blue.

Some of my favorites and most comfortable are scrub skirts that have been shortened to above the knees. Soft, light weight, elastic waist, just enough room to fit and walk comfortably, large pockets, and very low price. It cost more to shorten them than the original price. They come in many colors. Very stealthy.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Update from Arizona. We made it here late afternoon, staying in Tempe. The outside temperatures read from our vehicles were 112F and 114F, so I’m calling it 113. I’m inclined to wonder why people put a city in the middle of a desert to start with, but the more puzzling question is why it keeps growing. I suppose it has some redeeming qualities that are not yet apparent to me. But it’s just too big for my liking.

However the last occupants of this AirBnB apartment left a couple beers in the fridge and that was nice to see. Sadly they are Coors Light...which, as the quip goes, is like making love in the bottom of a boat...because the stuff is f—kin’ near water.

I’m totally beat from interstate driving and dreading the return trip although we have less headache on that route since we have a couple days flexibility in our schedule. I’m thinking Taos and Santa Fe again, two of my favorite places in the country and with climate more hospitable to human life, lol. But I cannot complain too much. SE NC is about as miserable a place in summer heat as there is. Coming from there to here is akin to escaping a pressure cooker to end up in a broiler oven. You’re cooked either way.

I’ve been skirted for most of the trip but will don shorts tomorrow just not to put my daughter in discomfort. She can explain her daddy’s eccentricity at some future moment to her new roommates.
New-in-Skirts

Post by New-in-Skirts »

I was traveling east a few weeks ago came upon a Rest Area and needed to make a pit stop. I was on I-74 about 30 minuets west of Indianapolis. I pulled in checked my phone for a couple of messages that came in while I was traveling. After replying I got out and headed toward the building. On my way out there was a woman entering the building. She saw stopped and gave me a once over up and down with sort of a disgusted look on her face. Guess she never saw a man in a skirt. I just went on my way not thinking anything of it.