Anti-theft device

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Anti-theft device

Post by moonshadow »

Hehehe.....

https://wcyb.com/news/nation-world/flor ... tick-shift

Our motel in Homestead Florida was near the ghetto, but our car is a 5 speed... it's not going anywhere, most kids can't drive it....

And no, it wasn't my car in the article.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Re: Anti-theft device

Post by beachlion »

I was just wondering. If I go visit my family and friends in the Netherlands and rent a car, will I be able to drive. After a decade of driving cars in the USA with an automatic gearbox, can I go back to stick-shift? I was driving since 1966 so I think some of my reflexes might still be there.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Yes, it's like riding a bike. The last stick I owned was back I 2007, so that's over 10 years ago... I picked it right up with the Kia.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Kilted Musician
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted Musician »

I agree, Moon. You never forget. I learned how to drive a stick at Lake Tahoe in the winter. Mountain roads with some steep hills and snow. If you can drive a stick there, you can drive a stick anywhere!

Recently I've acquired a Chevy HHR from my mom. Before that I had a Chevy S-10 pickup 4 speed for 18 years. Also have a motorcycle... same idea, different layout! :wink:

--Rick
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

beachlion wrote:I was just wondering. If I go visit my family and friends in the Netherlands and rent a car, will I be able to drive. After a decade of driving cars in the USA with an automatic gearbox, can I go back to stick-shift? I was driving since 1966 so I think some of my reflexes might still be there.
You maybe a bit rusty - but I am sure that you can do it
kill the engine a few times but give it some gas and let out
the clutch smoothly and for stopping just depress the clutch
and use the right foot for applying the middle pedal BRAKE.

My car history:

50 Chev - 3 on the tree
50 Opel - 3 on the tree
63 VW - 4 on the floor
64 Olds - 4 on the floor
66 TR4 - 4 on the floor 3 OD on a switch
67 Mustang - first automatic
70 Bronco - 3 on the tree
73 F250 - auto
76 TR6 - 4 on the floor 2 OD on a switch
77 T-Bird - auto
78 Mark V - auto
89 Subaru - 5 on the floor
99 Subaru - auto
08 Mercury SUV - 6 auto OD

Getting back to driving a stick it comes fairly naturally -
only occasionally stalling the engine having to restart
What would be worse is riding the clutch burning it out
Neat feature using the gears for braking saving the brakes
Also with a dead or near dead battery - stick shift cars
just givem a push pop the clutch and voila car started

Driving trucks with multiple gears and split shifting -
having to double clutch going through the gears now that
is a challenge

You can do this - !!!
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I taught myself how to drive a 3 on the tree... same principle, just a matter of figuring out the gear pattern.
-Andrea
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

On the double clutching, I've always heard that most professional drivers don't even use the clutch except to launch. I think they just rev match. I've never tried it, but I imagine since the gears are so close in ratio, it's probably not as difficult as trying to clutchless shift in a regular automobile.
-Andrea
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

Hey!!! What in tarnation does this have to do with men wearing skirts????????

HAHAHAHA just kidding guys. Carry on. Moon you are right about the rev matching. I do it some on my motorcycle. I have only done it once in my car.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Freedomforall wrote:Moon you are right about the rev matching. I do it some on my motorcycle. I have only done it once in my car.
I've considered practicing it, but I believe it can be pretty hard on a transmission that's not set up for it (messes up the synchronizers). Use only in emergercency situations....

Like when you're driving a rental! :lol:

I did run into one problem in a traffic backup outside of Miami, we had the A.C. on and though the engine did fine and never overheated, I think the clutch fluid (brake fliud) got too hot on account of the a.c. condenser making the engine bay hot as hell... about 30 minutes into the traffic jam, my clutch started to fade! :shock: Thankfully it came back once we got up to speed again.

Temporary solution.... don't run the a.c. for the rest of the trip. Yes that means we had the 4/55 running full blast for the rest of the week.

Permanent solution... Probably wouldn't hurt to replace that 16 year old fluid and have the rest of the hydraulic components checked...
-Andrea
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

Moonshadow wrote:Permanent solution... Probably wouldn't hurt to replace that 16 year old fluid and have the rest of the hydraulic components checked...
Sometimes replacing fluid that old can trigger problems.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Freedomforall wrote:
Moonshadow wrote:Permanent solution... Probably wouldn't hurt to replace that 16 year old fluid and have the rest of the hydraulic components checked...
Perhaps, but leaving it as is also seems to cause problems.
-Andrea
melsav
Member Extraordinaire

Post by melsav »

Back in the early 70s I learned to drive a double decker bus, the I taught in was 1955 AEC double decker the gearbox was a manual none syncronised, so the only way to change was to double clutch. Even today when I am pulling my small trailer behind my car I tend to double clutch when changing down.
stevelous

Post by stevelous »

moonshadow wrote:
Freedomforall wrote:
Perhaps, but leaving it as is also seems to cause problems.
Brake and clutch fluid absorbs water from the atmosphere and should be changed every 2-3 years depending on local conditions. A fairly easy job well within the scope of most home mechanics. But always use new fluid from a sealed container as sitting unsealed on a shelf will allow water to contaminate it, dispose of used fluid according to local laws, never pour it down drains, on the ground or into water courses.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

melsav wrote:Back in the early 70s I learned to drive a double decker bus, the I taught in was 1955 AEC double decker the gearbox was a manual none syncronised, so the only way to change was to double clutch. Even today when I am pulling my small trailer behind my car I tend to double clutch when changing down.
I drove a Standard Vanguard estate for many years, there was no synchromesh on bottom gear so I got into the habit of double-declutching.  It still comes in useful if I want to get into bottom gear in a hurry.

I also tried 'heel-and-toe' double-declutching (toe on the brake pedal and heel on the accelerator), so that I could change down at the same time as braking; it wasn't something I thought I would ever need, but just practiced it out of curiosity.  One day I was creeping down an icy hill with a sharp bend at the bottom and found the front wheels were beginning to slip uncontrollably; by heel-and-toeing into bottom gear, I was able to ease off the brakes and regain enough steering to drift sideways around the bend and avoid piling into a massive stone wall.  I owe my life to that casual, pointless, bit of practice.

Sadly, none of the cars I have owned since the Vanguard have had the pedal geometry to allow heel-and-toeing.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
bridkid

Post by bridkid »

Can someone please explain what 3 on the tree and 4 on the floor means?
If it aint Yorkshire, it's crap!