Moving to San Francisco bay area

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
simonr

Moving to San Francisco bay area

Post by simonr »

I'm moving from Singapore to the San Francisco bay area in a couple of weeks' time, and would like to seek some advice from the forum members.

Here in Singapore, I Iike to take night-time walks around my neighborhood in one of my long satin dresses. I do get quite some confused stares, which I have learned to ignore. However, I have never worried about any abuse coming my way, either physical or verbal.

Though I have heard about San Francisco's reputation as a tolerant city, I would still like to ask if I will be fine there taking my nightly strolls. I don't want to become the Asian minority guy in a dress who gets targeted by rednecks :(
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Moving to San Francisco bay area

Post by Fred in Skirts »

simonr wrote:I'm moving from Singapore to the San Francisco bay area in a couple of weeks' time, and would like to seek some advice from the forum members.

Here in Singapore, I Iike to take night-time walks around my neighborhood in one of my long satin dresses. I do get quite some confused stares, which I have learned to ignore. However, I have never worried about any abuse coming my way, either physical or verbal.

Though I have heard about San Francisco's reputation as a tolerant city, I would still like to ask if I will be fine there taking my nightly strolls. I don't want to become the Asian minority guy in a dress who gets targeted by rednecks :(
It will depend on where in SF you drop anchor. Some areas are quiet and very peaceful other areas are down right war zones. These war zones are fully populated by gangs of drug lords and other "non-human" types that prey on the weak and unsuspecting and each other as well. Do not expect the police to be of any real help as they are as afraid of these gangs as you should be.

So pick your home area very carefully.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

San Francisco has rednecks?
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

It used to have at least one man in a skirt, but sadly no more. https://m.legacy.com/obituaries/sfgate/ ... view=false

This is not surprising. Skirted_in_sf had told us he had cancer and his last post here was a year and a half ago.

Sorry to put such a downer on your thread, simonr, but the good news is that someone has blazed a trail for you.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
simonr

Post by simonr »

Fred in Skirts wrote:
simonr wrote:I'm moving from Singapore to the San Francisco bay area in a couple of weeks' time, and would like to seek some advice from the forum members.

It will depend on where in SF you drop anchor. Some areas are quiet and very peaceful other areas are down right war zones. These war zones are fully populated by gangs of drug lords and other "non-human" types that prey on the weak and unsuspecting and each other as well. Do not expect the police to be of any real help as they are as afraid of these gangs as you should be.

So pick your home area very carefully.
Any particular areas to avoid?

I'm leaning towards the San Jose / Santa Clara area.
simonr

Post by simonr »

moonshadow wrote:San Francisco has rednecks?
I guess I used the term "rednecks" too freely here. By that, I include any people who get so offended by things they don't understand (man wearing dress) that they consider it OK to resort to abuses.
simonr

Post by simonr »

skirtyscot wrote:It used to have at least one man in a skirt, but sadly no more. https://m.legacy.com/obituaries/sfgate/ ... view=false

This is not surprising. Skirted_in_sf had told us he had cancer and his last post here was a year and a half ago.

Sorry to put such a downer on your thread, simonr, but the good news is that someone has blazed a trail for you.
It's good to know that someone has done it in the area and seems quite happy doing it!

It's too bad that he has left us though...
whorton

Post by whorton »

You might want to do a bit of research before moving to SF. The problem is not "rednecks" the problem is the city is too tolerant. It has become a magnet for homeless with numbers increasing significantly:

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/art ... 080982.php

Additionally, there is apparently nothing the city does NOT tolerate including defecation and urination in public:

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/a3xd ... high-vgtrn

And open drug use, with discarded needles littering the city:

https://www.newsweek.com/san-francisco- ... es-1054010

https://thefederalist.com/2019/05/08/sa ... les-feces/

And police are rarely enforcing behavior problems, including mental illness:

http://www.sfweekly.com/news/mental-hea ... onscience/

https://projects.sfchronicle.com/sf-hom ... al-health/

Whit it may be the bastion of sexual acceptance, the increase in criminal behavior and other unchecked problems would seem to make it a very risky and expensive choice. It is nothing like the city it was even 20 years ago. They have gone from a beautiful modern city to a third world plague.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5n-6mSe9os

Not to mention, the cost of housing is really out of control.

Best of luck!
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

It is not just the city but the whole state is becoming a third world country itself. I would not move to Calafunky ( AKA Californication) for any reason.

I was not raised a fool and just watching the news is reason enough to stay away. The Governor is as crazy as a hatter and his orders to police not to enforce the law are tantamount to unstoppable crime of all sorts.

Being fore warned is being fore armed!
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
kidme

Post by kidme »

Don’t let them frighten you off. No I am not from Bay Area, but I have made many trips there. No, I have not don a skirt in S. franc itself, but have hiked in Yosemite wearing one, and some other National and state parks too. . I have gone shopping some county’s malls in a skirt. The most I got was a boy at the motel’s balcony running into his room shouting “there’s a men downstairs wearing a skirt” while I was at the car park.

I have flown in and out through SFO many times, in a skirt... from your home base. But more as transit to a different US state. Yes, I am your fellow resident in Lion city. I am out and about in a skirt almost everyday in my neighborhood, here back at home in SG, throughout the day. Even to the malls for food or catch a movie with my family. It takes awhile to get use to it and learn to ignore. Life is too short, I dress for my own comfort and I present as a man, get address as one. It is a no issue for me at work too, since the company is supportive of the OPEN movement, and has policies against discrimination.

Different part of Bay Area, is slightly different, as the population there varies between extremes. And definitely in each county, there are areas to avoid... just use common sense and avoid certain streets just by looking at the conditions of the buildings and shops (graffiti, broken windows...) and try not to scream “I am a foreigner”.

Like wise San Jose is big. Personally, I feel less safe at downtowns, and prefer the suburbs. They are plenty of nicer neighborhoods to stay, depending on your budget and tolerance to rush hour traffic.

Good luck.
Wonderful Electric
Distinguished Member

Post by Wonderful Electric »

Different areas of the Bay Area have different personalities but I have found that I’ve been safe wearing on the occasions that I have been out. The entire area is full of commuters that come in from the far far suburbs and that has changed the character of the area a lot. Housing cost is out of control and traffic is a nightmare any time of day.
simonr

Post by simonr »

Having been here for a couple of days, I can see why the traffic is on everyone's hate list. Even at midnight, the highways are full...

I'm now looking for a rental flat, and will definitely take into account all the advice here. A safe neighborhood, not just for the sake of skirt/dress wearing, but to feel safe every day!
Kilted Musician
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted Musician »

San Francisco is definitely not what it used to be. I first visited SF in 1977 when I was living up at Lake Tahoe. At that time I really liked SF because it was so clean for a big city. Since then I've traveled a lot [traveling musician... actually made a decent living traveling and playing music!] and now live in San Jose for the last 28 years. The only time I'll go up to SF now is when I have to for business...

--Rick
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Financially speaking for you it is like leaping out of the fire into the frying pan.
San Francisco is not a cheap place to live - no matter what ones life style is.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !