Real difference between a kilt and a skirt?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Real difference between a kilt and a skirt?

Post by crfriend »

STEVIE wrote:Eider it is or isn't [...]
Now that was clever! Well plaid.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

crfriend wrote: Well plaid.
I pleat guilty M'Lud!

Steve.
aussie08

Post by aussie08 »

Try eight yards of material
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

new2skirts wrote:
Stu wrote:Let's call things what they are. A kilt is a type of skirt just as a penguin is a type of bird.
Birds have wings, but not all birds fly, which is true of the penguin :mrgreen:

Ok now I get it!

I'll explain awhile back on a novelty t shirt site ( I don't remember which one) I saw a t shirt with a animated penguin in a kilt. At the time I remember thinking "I don't get it" now I do.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

The real difference is around £600 or so.
Steve
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

I must echo Stevie,
My kilt is 12 yards of wool, weighs about 2 tons (or tonnes if you are watching in black and white!) no pockets, no zips, wrap around, and cost hundreds of UK poundses. All my skirts cost well under £100, even tailor made. I find skirts much easier to wear due to the lack of huge pleats. I like skirts that are longer than knee length, less to worry about when sitting. Anything much above knee length makes me feel uncomfortable, I haven't worn shorts since I was a kid in primary school and am used to having warm knees.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

One's a skirt, the other... well, you'll get kilt if you call it a skirt.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

A kilt is a type of skirt just as an octopus is a type of fish.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

Imagine you were a schoolboy and your school had decided a new, season-based uniform policy. That would consist of trousers for all in the colder months, but you were invited to vote on what should be the summer uniform for both sexes, and the options were (1) shorts; (2) lightweight kilt or (3) skirt of the same style that girls already wear. Which would you choose? I can see advantages in each.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Stu wrote:A kilt is a type of skirt just as an octopus is a type of fish.
Are there definitions of "fish" that include octopi? I hadn't heard that. "Seafood" yes, "fish" no.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

Jim - fair point. I think most biologists would say an octopus is a cephalopod rather than a fish as it is an invertebrate. I was drawing the analogy that some things are prototypical of their category, like a red deer is typical of the species, while others are not - like a rhino (an ungulate and relative of all deer species).

If you were to define the word "skirt" precisely, I reckon your definition would necessarily encompass what kilts are.
eightofnine

Post by eightofnine »

I'm sure i seen a photo somewhere a guy wearing a kilt and t shirt with the the phrase if it was a skirt i'd be wearing underwear
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

eightofnine wrote:I'm sure i seen a photo somewhere a guy wearing a kilt and t shirt with the the phrase if it was a skirt i'd be wearing underwear

Then all of my Tartan kilts are apparently... Skirts.

I Wear underwear under all my clothing regardless of what it is. It makes sense to help keep clothing cleaner, and of course with kilts and skirts provides one last layer of modesty.

I personally hate the jocular kilting t shirts and memes that are found thru out the internet.
Referencing, cold hands, lipstick, balls, finding out ,etc. I wear kilts because they are comfortable and my heritage. Not because I want to get gropped, or get lucky. Or be part of a jocular punch line.

That's my biggest fear when being kilted is getting kilt checked.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

mishawakaskirt wrote:
eightofnine wrote:I'm sure i seen a photo somewhere a guy wearing a kilt and t shirt with the the phrase if it was a skirt i'd be wearing underwear

I Wear underwear under all my clothing regardless of what it is. It makes sense to help keep clothing cleaner, and of course with kilts and skirts provides one last layer of modesty.

I personally hate the jocular kilting t shirts and memes that are found thru out the internet.
Referencing, cold hands, lipstick, balls, finding out ,etc. I wear kilts because they are comfortable and my heritage. Not because I want to get gropped, or get lucky. Or be part of a jocular punch line.

I thought that what is worn under whatever outer garment is not te be discussed.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Gusto10 wrote:
mishawakaskirt wrote:

I thought that what is worn under whatever outer garment is not te be discussed.
xxx

I thought that what is worn under whatever outer garment is not te be discussed

Yes that would be correct but as long as the specific nomenclature of the lingerie is not detailed then wearing something is better than none at all.
Don't dwell or tarry too long on this - just move on - what one (under) wears is one's own business and should maintain the mystery of kilt - enough said noted !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !