Would You Wear This?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Would You Wear This?

Post by Sinned »

I did put it to MOH as to why is it acceptable for a man to wear a T-shirt that stops at the waist but not acceptable if the length was extended to mid-thigh or knee. She's not really provided a good answer.

And yes I would wear that anytime in maybe a different colour. Orange is not a colour I wear.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
6ft3Aussie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by 6ft3Aussie »

That is definitely something that I'd wear around the house, but most likely keep it to there.

Would be great to relax in during a summer evening after work.
MOH might even like it!!
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

I have some Hanes tee shirt dresses, something between a very long tee shirt and a mini, and wear them around the garden and to the beach. They’re a one size garment. I like the pockets on the one pictured.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
kiltguy1789

Post by kiltguy1789 »

For me, finding it in the right size/proportion would be the problem. Even 3xl would be too small in the shoulders for me, and too big on the bottom. For slim dudes that style might be fine.

Vermont Country Store has tee shirt nightshirts that fit me but they are too short to be a day style.
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

I have this exact dress, but I bought the khaki version. I have worn it to go shopping in public with sheer tights and ballet shoes. I like it so much I have just bought a blue version but in a boutique, not in M&S. The advantage of these dresses is that you can tuck them into your trousers and then when you want to get the freedom of a dress, just remove the trousers.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

I think simple garments like this, if made for men's bodies in a length and other coverage that guys would feel comfortable with, will be what breaks down the barriers to men's skirt and dress wearing. Make it exactly as you would a guy's shirt, just longer. Make the length similar to something men already wear, like their shorts or even an ankle length, and it actually might catch on. I would jump on something like that.

I'd also love to see ankle and knee length skirts with the exact same colors, materials, fastenings, and pockets as regular guys pants, cargo and the standard 4/5 pocket designs. I think this would be an easier sell than the dress type stuff. It would literally be a simple one for one swap with pants or shorts.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Stu wrote:Something I always thought could catch on for men is a (male-cut) tee-shirt dress which would essentially be a tee or polo shirt, but mid thigh rather than stopping at the waist. This would make a super-comfortable item of nightwear on warm evenings, a "bumming about" item when at home, something to slip on when on the beach and so on. I spotted these in Marks and Spencer:

https://www.marksandspencer.com/pure-co ... nav_swatch

If they made the shoulders wider, the short-sleeves a bit longer etc, I would think there might be a market for them for men/boys. The question is - would you consider one?
I would market it as a night shirt. That is it's most obvious use, and avoids the word "dress".
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Dust wrote:I think simple garments like this, if made for men's bodies [...]
Take a look at the model. That's the form-factor of a teen-aged boy. The garment is ft for purpose as-is. (This is why I keep mentioning that the emphasis on "size 0" where the girls look like guys benefits us in the department store.)
I'd also love to see ankle and knee length skirts with the exact same colors, materials, fastenings, and pockets as regular guys pants, cargo and the standard 4/5 pocket designs.
I can see the superficial advantage in this, but the superficiality of it betrays the fact that it'd still all be the same: the same heavy stiff fabric, the same boring colours, and a tiny range of styles, cuts, and lengths. Precisely the only thing that would change is that it'd be one tube instead of two. Hence my reasoning to throw all the shackles off all at once -- even if might look confusing to a guy at the outset. Once he gets some experience, however, my suspicion is that many would happily abandon the old for the new when they could.
It would literally be a simple one for one swap with pants or shorts.
A direct swap is possible for many very casual styles (and that's how I started off), but dressier styles require more than that to work well. Again, this might work for lots of guys, but not universally, and at some point John Random Public, who has adopted casual skirts is going to want to wear one to some random wedding and is going to be completely out of sorts because none of the casual stuff "works" in that sort of setting.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

I think I will nip down to my local M&S tomorrow lunchtime and see if it looks good on me. Not in orange, but they do it in blue and white stripes as well, and that is more likely to suit my pallid complexion. And they do a longer version too, which is 116cm/46“ as against the 96cm/38" one pictured in the OP. That would keep the unforgiving Spanish sun off my thighs on my holiday.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

For those who like a longer length, there is a midi version:

https://www.marksandspencer.com/pure-co ... evPage=srp
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

I took the plunge a few days ago and bought the blue and white stripey midi one. It's very comfortable to wear. Full review to follow.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

I like the midi length, but the light colored one looks a bit too much like a hospital gown.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
KenCT

Post by KenCT »

I have this t-shirt dress, from ASICS, bought at a local store.
I wear it as a 'nightshirt', meaning I put it on in the morning, since I sleep in the altogether. It's extremely lightweight and soft, and drapes over the body. It feels like wearing nothing at all, which is one reason why I don't wear it into town; also, I would feel like I was in a nightshirt. I wear it around the house, walk to the mailbox at the street, around the yard.
I am on the small side, 170 cm, 67 kg, so a [edit: Medium Large] US size is only a bit narrow at the shoulder, otherwise fits loosely but not overly so.
Last edited by KenCT on Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Freefrom

Post by Freefrom »

I purchased a couple of these a short while ago...
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/nh100-women ... 92506.html
Absolutely smashing, lightweight, comfortable and breezy. Can be worn without fear of unexpected exposure, the undershorts are the same colour as the skirt and can double as underpants. They suit perfectly my active work lifestyle and I've happily worn them all day, highly recommended.
tg_1258326.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

skirtyscot wrote:I took the plunge a few days ago and bought the blue and white stripey midi one. It's very comfortable to wear. Full review to follow.

It's great! Really comfortable, in a soft lightweight material which doesn't get all creased in your luggage. The reviews on the M&S website generally said it was larger than expected, with many people saying they bought a size smaller than usual and it was still roomy. I tried a 16 and it was like a tent on me, so I then took a 14 and a 12 to the fitting room and the 12 was the clear winner. I'm usually a 12 in skirts, so I didn't expect the 12 to fit my shoulders.

So it's made for someone with big shoulders compared to their waist. It's cut completely straight, without darts or extra room for breasts, and no widening for the hips. A lot of reviews commented unfavourably on the high neckline, and it is round and close to the neck. No pink or pastels or frills or flowers, just blue and white stripes. And it has pockets. It is how you would design a dress for a man. Order yours now!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair