Musing on a random thought

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
crfriend
Master Barista

Musing on a random thought

Post by crfriend »

WCRB, Boston's sole remaining classical-format radio station -- now owned by NPR -- is leading into a "Beethoven Bash" where they're going to play all nine of his symphonies back-to-back, and that's just something I can't say, "No" to.

So, what's the lead-in? A piece by Aaron Copeland from Appalachian Spring, a John Howland piece called Fanfare for an Uncommon Woman (which sounded entirely ordinary), and John Philip Sousa's Liberty Bell March -- which is better known to a generation as the the music from Monty Python's Flying Circus. Do WCRB have no sense of irony?
Last edited by crfriend on Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: I confused Circus with Sousa -- fixed.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Musing on a random thought

Post by Kirbstone »

In my work I have RTE's Lyric FM playing in the background. It is Ireland's 24-hour classical music station and every day from 1PM to 4PM the programme title is 'The full score' which means just that. Everything they include on their playlist is delivered in full, so uninterrupted symphonies &c are in order. For insomniacs there is 'Lyric through the night' from 12 midnight to 7AM when they play mostly softer more romantic choices, perhaps hoping to lull their listeners off to sleep!

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

I love Beethoven - especially his opera.

Other great opera composers - Mozart, Vivaldi, Handel, Puccini and the great Leonardo Vinci.

Always a huge fan of the classics and opera.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

Thank you for the heads up on this Carl. I found them online and am listening now!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Freedomforall wrote:Thank you for the heads up on this Carl. I found them online and am listening now!
You're more than welcome, FFA -- and do enjoy!

The Ninth is a performance by the BSO under Seiji Ozawa and features the Tanglewood Festival Chorus. I've seen that pairing before in person, and can safely say that the experience was better than sex (and I have high standards).

I'm listening to it now on good old-fashioned FM, which is a bit of a chore as I live in the shadow of Worcester's WAAF-FM's transmitter which is renowned as one of the dirtiest (RF-wise) in the area [0]. That makes receiving WCRB problematic at best, and where I sit in my living-room means that I (as in my corporeal being) am part of the RF environment.

[0] I look forward to every thunderstorm to see it lash the top of the mast. 'Tis a grand show.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

crfriend wrote:...... and John Philip Sousa's Liberty Bell March -- which is better known to a generation as the the music from Monty Python's Flying Sousa. Do WCRB have no sense of irony?
I'm from the generation that knew it as Monty Python's Flying Circus. And to answer your question: they have a sense of irony if they end the Sousa march with the raspberry like in the show.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AxiATxLofk
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

In the UK, we have a radio station called Classic FM.

Most mornings they play the Liberty Bell March - for those people who have just recently retired or are about to retire.

Also our son when he was at Oxford (UK), played all 9 symphonies in different orchestras in Beethoven Week! 8)
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

skirtingtoday wrote:In the UK, we have a radio station called Classic FM.

Most mornings they play the Liberty Bell March - for those people who have just recently retired or are about to retire.

Also our son when he was at Oxford (UK), played all 9 symphonies in different orchestras in Beethoven Week! 8)
That is quite an accomplishment to be proud of!