WE are doomed!!!

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

WE are doomed!!!

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Where has common sense gone???
We are Doomed!!
hand truck.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: WE are doomed!!!

Post by Sinned »

Let's face it, some people only have two brain cells and neither one of them is connected to the other. He probably thought that he was being smart!!!!
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
stevelous

Post by stevelous »

You cannot expect him o carry it.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

I have the impression common sense has been declared illegal. If common sense was still in fashion, a lot of lawsuits would be thrown out right away and a lot of lawyers had to find other jobs. Think McDonalds and a cup of hot coffee.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

4 wheels is self-balancing - where as 2 wheels requires gyroscope load bearing human input !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Two wheels plus two feet equals four points of ground-contact, hence self-balancing. No gyros required. Even with the humanoid in motion with one foot off the ground for periods of time there are still three points of ground-contact, which is actually more stable than four (consider uneven ground, like the floor of my local).
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

He's probably stealing grocery carts.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

beachlion wrote: Think McDonalds and a cup of hot coffee.
All is not as it seems...
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

moonshadow wrote:
beachlion wrote: Think McDonalds and a cup of hot coffee.
All is not as it seems...
I have heard about the aftermath of this case before. And I still think it should be common sense to realize that coffee is hot when it is just made. So you should handle the coffee accordingly.

Another thing. On the right hand side mirror of my car is etched: OBJECTS IN MIRROR ARE CLOSER THAN THEY APPEAR
The left hand side mirror and rearview mirror are made flat so they don't distort the image. The right hand side mirror is convex and the field of view is larger. In all cars I drove in the Netherlands ALL mirrors were convex to increase the field of view. As far as I know all cars in Europe (and probably in many other countries) have convex mirrors. And even with those convex mirrors Europe still has about 1/3 of road fatalities of the USA per capita.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Fred in Skirts wrote:Where has common sense gone???
We are Doomed!!
hand truck.jpg
Simple. The dolly wheels are immobilised with cable ties to prevent shoppers from using them in store and leaving them all in the parking lot, and he left his cutters in his truck.
Daryl...
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

beachlion wrote:And even with those convex mirrors Europe still has about 1/3 of road fatalities of the USA per capita.
Per capita is meaningless. Perhaps Europeans drive less, or don't even own cars as frequently. The stat would only be revealing if it were 1/3 of fatalities per mile compared to USA, but then Europeans use kilometres so even that wouldn't work. 8)

We took a little jaunt through the USA this spring and found it an eye opener, especially on the roads. We witnessed so many trucks with flats and so many truck tires dead on the side of the road we couldn't believe it. And we witnessed accidents in progress, including one where a person's trailer came unhitched from his truck. We live in Canada's heaviest traffic corridor, and go months without seeing what we saw in just one week in the USA. Darwinian principles seem to be suspended down there, on the roads and highways. They even have special lanes for "runaway" trucks!
Daryl...
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

crfriend wrote:Two wheels plus two feet equals four points of ground-contact, hence self-balancing. No gyros required. Even with the humanoid in motion with one foot off the ground for periods of time there are still three points of ground-contact, which is actually more stable than four (consider uneven ground, like the floor of my local).
I've never seen anyone fall over on their car but I have witnessed it numerous times on two and even three-wheeled vehicles. Therefore I conclude four wheels are more stable unless the rider of the vehicle with less than four wheels is wearing a skirt, because I have never seen anyone in a skirt fall over on their vehicle.
Daryl...
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Daryl wrote:... They even have special lanes for "runaway" trucks!
We have one of those at the bottom of a long steep hill near where Charlie lives.  As you come down the hill around a series of increasingly dangerous bends, there are various helpful signs to let runaways know that in a quarter of a mile or so, they will come to a place of safety.  Presumably there is an assumption that this encouragement will somehow help the driver of a lorry with overheated brakes to delay crashing or overturning.

Eventually the signs indicate the well-concealed runaway lane entrance; it is on the inside of a tight bend and reached by a chicaine of two sharp corners that could not be negotiated at a speed of more than 25 mph.  It is about half as long again as a large lorry and trailer and ends in a pile of gravel.

Last Summer I saw a family picnicing there.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

Daryl wrote:
beachlion wrote:And even with those convex mirrors Europe still has about 1/3 of road fatalities of the USA per capita.
Per capita is meaningless. Perhaps Europeans drive less, or don't even own cars as frequently. The stat would only be revealing if it were 1/3 of fatalities per mile compared to USA, but then Europeans use kilometres so even that wouldn't work. 8)
Europeans aren't used to think in driving time like in Canada or the US where an hours drive is just about nothing. A two hours drive is extreme. Doing 800 miles on a day is crazy.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

beachlion wrote:Another thing. On the right hand side mirror of my car is etched: OBJECTS IN MIRROR ARE CLOSER THAN THEY APPEAR
The left hand side mirror and rearview mirror are made flat so they don't distort the image. The right hand side mirror is convex and the field of view is larger. In all cars I drove in the Netherlands ALL mirrors were convex to increase the field of view. As far as I know all cars in Europe (and probably in many other countries) have convex mirrors. And even with those convex mirrors Europe still has about 1/3 of road fatalities of the USA per capita.
I prefer a flat mirror on both sides with a convex underneath the flat. This helps my judgement when backing up. My regular passenger vehicles have a convex on the passenger side and backing a trailer into a tight spot is a little more difficult when "objects in mirror are closer than they appear". [0] A convex on the drivers side would drive me nuts. I figure most people could just as easily look behind their driver side and check their blind spot before a lane change. That's what I do anyway. Most of the service vans I've driven had a flat mirror on both sides with a convex under the flat. It's damned near impossible to back up by looking out the rear window in a large cargo van so you have to use your mirrors and a flat mirror helps with judgement. The vans also had convex mirrors under the flat because it's impossible to check your blind spots, especially on the passenger side.
Daryl wrote:Per capita is meaningless. Perhaps Europeans drive less, or don't even own cars as frequently. The stat would only be revealing if it were 1/3 of fatalities per mile compared to USA, but then Europeans use kilometres so even that wouldn't work. 8)

We took a little jaunt through the USA this spring and found it an eye opener, especially on the roads. We witnessed so many trucks with flats and so many truck tires dead on the side of the road we couldn't believe it. And we witnessed accidents in progress, including one where a person's trailer came unhitched from his truck. We live in Canada's heaviest traffic corridor, and go months without seeing what we saw in just one week in the USA.
I've probably driven over a half million miles in my life already, averaging about 40k-50k miles per year on service van odometers alone, plus about 20k annually on my personal vehicles. As many of you know it's nothing for Jenn and I to take off on the weekends and visit towns and places that can be several hours away. In fact, this weekend we're going to Bedford to visit dad and he lives about 4 hours away from home. We do this about once a month now. The week after next we begin our trip to the tip of Florida and back.

Most people where I live commute at least an hour or two one way to work every day. Amber works with a guy at the Lebanon KFC who drives all the way from Grundy VA, which is a little over an hour's drive. It seems like a long distance to drive to work at a chicken house. I remember you joking about me knowing "the road" (the curvy part of highway 19) when you followed me to Abingdon for dinner. Indeed, that stretch of road I travel at least twice a day. Driving to Abingdon is something we do a lot, and that's 30 minutes one way.

Due to time constraints, I couldn't take you into "deep Appalachia", Lebanon is right at the edge of it. Not much further west and you start to get into the coal fields, and that's where you'll find the Appalachian culture you probably hear about in the media. Despite my occasional ranting about the politics and the Christian Taliban that seems to rule these parts, if you ignore the fracking sites and the occasional strip mine, it does have its charms and is very beautiful in places. Small mountain towns that have "post card mainstreets", Breaks Interstate Park is awe inspiring, High Knob lookout tower is a nice place to visit. There are gems hidden all over the place.
DSC_0069.JPG
I've only seen a couple of accidents in all my time of driving, I have seen more "near misses" though. One of them was weather related (snow) and nobody got hurt, and only involved one car, the one that slid off into the median. I have seen a lot of truck tires blow, twice it's happened right as I drove past them. One time with Jenn in the passenger seat and it scared the hell out of her (sounds like a shot gun going off). In all situations the driver of the truck maintained control and was able to safely pull over to the shoulder with no incident.

I81 carries a lot of truck traffic. It's a major corridor between "the south" and New England. I95 is more of a commuter road I've heard (I've seldom traveled it, and never at length). Big rigs tend to stay over on 81 due I would imagine as you travel through less densely populated areas, fewer tolls (in fact I don't think there are any tolls anywhere on 81 in any state along the way). The only downside is there are a lot of grades, especially in the Virginia mountains. This can cause some problems with passenger cars (4 wheelers) who don't have any regard for big rigs., and generally don't know how to read the road. I see cars cutting off semi's all of the time. When a semi tries to get over into the "slow" lane to climb a grade, impatient cars will jerk over into the slow lane and pass on the right. Many of those "near misses" are due to crap like this...

It infuriates me. If I'm coming up on the right lane, seeing a truck trying to get over, I'll slow, and signal him to come over. It generally means I will spend the next few miles behind a truck going 40 in a 70 not being able to pass, but it was done in the name of courtesy and safety so it's worth it.

I love big trucks. Some young boys grew up with firemen or police men as their hero's, others coal miners, or steel workers, astronauts, cowboys, etc. I was always taken with the big truck culture. I still enjoy watching truck driving you tube videos and reading the comments, listening to the stories of the long haul truckers and their various adventures. I love the way a diesel sounds and the way it smells, I love the sound of the changing gears. In the past I've enjoyed having a CB in my automobile and shooting the sh!t with them while I drive, and I'm debating on getting one for Jax.

A long time ago I used to work at a plating shop and my job was loading trucks on second shift. Part of my job be switching trailers in the lot when needed. I thought that was so cool!

[0] I love maneuvering a trailer in reverse, in front of an audience, and then jumping out with a skirt on to start ratchet strapping a load.... HEY! Sissy-boys ain't 'sposed to know how to do all that! 8)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.