Bought a skirt, need help with shirts

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
K_Highlander

Bought a skirt, need help with shirts

Post by K_Highlander »

I recently purchased this skirt on clearance at Abercrombie & Fitch.
https://www.zalando.co.uk/abercrombie-a ... c-c11.html

I am at a loss as to what color shirts to wear.
This is my first skirt that is not a solid color (blue, black, or khaki).
I have a lot of patterned button down color shirts, but most are plaids.
I am thinking of polo shirts or T shirts.
Reaching out to you for advice and suggestions for coordinated colors.
Masculine style, no women's blouses.

Thanks
Ken
Skirted for two years, except when I go out with MOH.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Bought a skirt, need help with shirts

Post by crfriend »

K_Highlander wrote:I recently purchased this skirt on clearance at Abercrombie & Fitch.
I am at a loss as to what color shirts to wear.
White and black are always safe bets, and either of those colours would naturally go with the skirt. If you wanted to be a bit more adventurous, then a yellow shirt would also go well. To delve into the secondary-colour realm, I'd say that purple would also make for a nice mix, and in the opposing realm colour-wise a blue could work nicely as well, (It looks like there's blue in the skirt as well.)

Lots of options there!

Good choice of skirt!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Ths question is, since it is a skirt worn high on the model's waist, do you plan to wear it that high? The choice of type of shirt depends on that.

As for color, for summer I'd go with a pale yellow, then a dark blue for the fall and winter.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

The model is wearing dark green with it, I think that looks fine. Any color you see in the pattern should work as well, so long as you get a decent match. That will bring out that color in the skirt. With this one, a mustard yellow looks like it might work as well.

Try to stick with solid colors with the patterned skirts, at least at first. I would try a polo with this one. I wear polos a lot, though. The right t-shirt would probably also work. It will look more casual than the polo, possibly too casual for this particular skirt, but I would have to see it. I would not go with a white T-shirt, but that might just be me.

Try to find, in whatever kind of shirt, something that's not too baggy, but lose enough to hide any lumps you've got (belly, love handles, etc.). If it stops short enough to leave most of the skirt showing, you can leave it untucked. If your shirt hangs a third (quarter maybe, not sure) or more of the way down the skirt, try tucking it in and see if that looks better.

Most importantly, if it doesn't look right to you, trust your gut and try something else. If you don't think it works, you're probably right. Even if we think it might work, if it seems off to you there's a good chance that you won't have the confidence to pull it off. Try combinations till something feels and looks right. You have to find the style that works for you.
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

It depends on where you are planning to wear it. I live in a resort area where people dress very casually. I wear skirts that are mostly inconspicuous. I wear shirts untucked. I am outdoors much of the time although the past few days I have been in public a lot. I did some shopping in a mall and two major sports equipment stores, as well as restaurants. I am sure no one noticed what I was wearing other than store personnel who were assisting my purchase of skirts. I bought two of them from one of the stores. I also bought some underwear at an outlet store.

I am not trying to make a fashion statement. I like to wear skirts for active wear because they offer more freedom and comfort.
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

My suggestion: let the colours of the skirt come back in the shirt, solid colours are the best. When only indoors, maybe YOH could provide you with suggestions so it will be acceptable to her also. Maybe polo's are the best i.r.o. model, but that also depends on your body type.
Freefrom

Post by Freefrom »

Strong shades, Yellow, Green or Navy Blue depending on the circumstances under which you wear it. Get one of each and you instantly have three outfits to choose depending on your fancy on the day.
Regular Guy

Post by Regular Guy »

I don’t have a shirt suggestion, but I DO encourage you to make the right SHOE choices. It’s humorous, until I began wearing skirts I never gave much thought about shoes. Now I have about a dozen pair.

Good luck in yer search. Oh, and that’s a nice looking skirt you found. Like the zipper a lot!!!

RG
Just a ......‘Regular Guy’ .......Kilted or Skirted
FestivalGuy

Post by FestivalGuy »

Regular Guy wrote:I don’t have a shirt suggestion, but I DO encourage you to make the right SHOE choices. It’s humorous, until I began wearing skirts I never gave much thought about shoes. Now I have about a dozen pair.

RG
So funny. I am starting to get into this as well. now that I am more in the mindset to wear a skirt out to dinner when traveling, I am much more mindful of the shoes aspect. when I wear a skirt at a festival, shoe selection is PURE COMFORT for walking 30,000 plus steps a day. however, after buying a few more dress type skirts (nicer fabrics, less athletic styling) I kinda think I want a pair of semi strappy shoes with a slight heel up to 2" or an ankle height boot. OMG.
Kieran

Post by Kieran »

That's certainly a nice looking skirt.
Personally, i tend to stick to the following guidelines when choosing a shirt to wear with a skirt:

- Try not to wear a patterned shirt with a patterned skirt. Things can clash otherwise.

- Wear a similar colour shirt to one of the colours on the skirt. In this instance a light grey, yellow or green t-shirt or polo would work well.
K_Highlander

Post by K_Highlander »

Thanks to all for your suggestions.
After a quick trip to Kohl's, I now have three polo shirts that look great.

As to Regular Guy's suggestion on shoes, that's a work in progress.
Up to now I have just worn denim and other casual, solid color skirts.
Most were former skorts that I cut out the inner shorts.
So trainers look just fine, or hiking boots when on the trail.

Next is to convince MOH to be seen in public with me in a skirt.
Comments about my skirts at home and when I go out without her have diminished significantly, so that is progress.

See photos. (See no shoes! OR Feet!)
IMG_5539A.jpg
IMG_5528A.jpg
IMG_5574A.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

The good news is that all the pictured combinations work nicely.

The bad news is that the OH isn't on-side yet...
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Yes, they all work well, Ken.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Freefrom

Post by Freefrom »

Looking good, I like the skirt.
FestivalGuy