Nashville police trying to make amends

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Nashville police trying to make amends

Post by Freedomforall »

I just saw news concerning my old employer, the Nashville Police Department. They were in the news a few months back for bad behavior involving a few of their officers. It seems the officers felt the need to blast social media with insults of a transgender man. The department is now trying to mend fences with the LGBTQ community by assigning an officer as a full time liaison for them. Today they unveiled the vehicle she will be allowed to drive on and of off-duty. I am not sure how I feel about this. I realize that we all need to understand and respect the differences of others. I do however, feel lost in all the noise. Everyone seems to be vying for attention and understanding. Somehow I am feeling lost in all this. It just feels that men are losing any voice or input that we may have ever had. I wonder when, how, and even if there will be a grand finale.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Nashville police trying to make amends

Post by Dust »

Freedomforall wrote:I do however, feel lost in all the noise. Everyone seems to be vying for attention and understanding. Somehow I am feeling lost in all this. It just feels that men are losing any voice or input that we may have ever had. I wonder when, how, and even if there will be a grand finale.
It never felt like we had much of a voice, at least not in my short lifetime. Any voice men had, tended to get lent out to others in need. That's not a bad thing in and of itself, but we've collectively neglected our own issues. We need to take care of ourselves if we are going to be able to effectively help others. That's true all the way from the societal level down to the individual level.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

Dust wrote:
Freedomforall wrote:I do however, feel lost in all the noise. Everyone seems to be vying for attention and understanding. Somehow I am feeling lost in all this. It just feels that men are losing any voice or input that we may have ever had. I wonder when, how, and even if there will be a grand finale.
It never felt like we had much of a voice, at least not in my short lifetime. Any voice men had, tended to get lent out to others in need. That's not a bad thing in and of itself, but we've collectively neglected our own issues. We need to take care of ourselves if we are going to be able to effectively help others. That's true all the way from the societal level down to the individual level.

If your statement is correct, then perhaps this problem dates back to the Garden of Eden.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Dust wrote:We need to take care of ourselves if we are going to be able to effectively help others. That's true all the way from the societal level down to the individual level.
That's absolutely what was behind old-school masculinity. If we cannot take care of ourselves, we cannot be of any use to others. It was unspoken, and quite probably invisible to others because of its unspoken nature; men internalised it. In the modern world of machismo, however, men are expected to be rock-solid islands and any time they take to maintain that is viewed as making them weak and ineffective human beings at best, and outright narcissists at worst. That's toxic, and it's been shoved onto us when we were looking the other way.

My "mission in life" is to be a part of as many solutions as possible, and a part of as few problems as possible -- and with as little drama as possible. That takes attention to detail, and time to make sure I have the mental tools at hand to affect that outcome -- and it takes energy, it takes time, and that's something that nobody appreciates. So far, I think I'm on the positive side of that equation, and it has come at some expense.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

So that's what that sound was to the south.... the sound of heads exploding....

There is a certain someone in Knoxville that is probably losing his mind right about now. And another group in Kansas is likely on their way....

As for my thoughts on the matter.... meh?... Just another day another play.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I notice that you said ".... the vehicle SHE will be driving ...." Couldn't they trust a man with this role?
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

moonshadow wrote:So that's what that sound was to the south.... the sound of heads exploding....

There is a certain someone in Knoxville that is probably losing his mind right about now. And another group in Kansas is likely on their way....

As for my thoughts on the matter.... meh?... Just another day another play.

I am glad you mentioned that group in Kansas. They were ones of the ones I was mentioning that made the domestic terrorist watch list. I am not sure if they are still on there. I don't have access to any of that information anymore, as I am thankfully out of that B.S.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

Sinned wrote:I notice that you said ".... the vehicle SHE will be driving ...." Couldn't they trust a man with this role?
They feel that a lesbian woman gives it a more approachable "soft" touch. Also, it is common practice for them to promote based on sexual orientation, religious preference etc. They feel not doing so opens them to liability. It is also a political move that leverages them with people in the community affiliated with said class.