how short can you go in skirts

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Re: how short can you go in skirts

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Some amazingly short skirts there.

I could not, would not want to wear something that short, while being certainly breezy in hot weather.
I can't justify the liability.
Of being accused of exposure or being pervert.
That and sticking to seats and benches, flesh burns.

18/20 inches is about as short as I will go.
I feel more comfortable in longer skirts, even a 24 inch long kilt at time's feels too short for me. Especially if it's windy.

Also I'm not sure how MIS are perceived in a short skirts.
I know women in short skirts are perceived as being easy or slutty.
I don't know if MIS are perceived in the same way or not. I'm guessing MIS are very easily perceived as some sort of pervert, especially if it's a short skirt, I'm sure we are judged all the more and more harshly by the length of our hemlines because we are men.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

I don't find it hard or risky to wear a short skirt. It feels that way if I think too much about it I suppose.
I wear a short skirt because I like it - it feels great and I like my legs out.

Nobody wants the wrong kind of disapproving attention, and I am pretty sure that I don't get a lot of that. I know I get some dissaproving looks now and again, but anyone does, woman or man in a higher hemline. Women can also be the harshest critics.

I think if your legs are good, and you can, why not wear a shorter skirt. Of course it does limit what you should do, I know how to get around in skirts so it doesn't faze me anymore.

Seriously I think women judge other wearers of skirts by their hemlines, and they judge their legs, and their heels.
I overhear comments among people saying if I had his legs I'd wear that skirt, or those heels and that tells me that yes they've noticed, and aren't really too bothered, its a day and age where we can do more of what we want.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

I am sure public reaction depends alot on what you are comfortable wearing; setting the right cue.
I am totally at ease wearing skirts 14" down to 12.5" in public - if it was longer, it wouldn't be a mini skirt (defined by fingers touching hem when standing straight).
Like nzfreestyler, I think they feel great.

Women can be critical about other women in short skirts, which could be based on tradition, age, body shape, envy, not happy with hubby's wandering eyes, etc.
If someone said my skirt was too short, then that would be a revellation in that they accepted the skirt wearing.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

As someone who's at times oblivious to his own "manspread," I limit the shortness of my public skirts to a length that will still conceal my undies when my legs flay idly and inattentively open. That's an inch or two above the knee. At home, working in the garden, when I will sit only in the privacy of my abode, I go for "short as f--k."
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

beachlion wrote: My conclusion is that 12" is the limit for me but only with standing and walking on rather level ground.
P1010324qq.jpg
P1010330qq.jpg
I found that my RunningKilts are as short as I am willing to wear in public, and only if standing or walking on rather level ground. Making a quick check with my tape measure, the garment is about 15.5 inches long, and ends about an inch above my knee.

The shortest length that I am comfortable wearing in public is knee length (what I think of as kilt length). Anything shorter and I worry about exposure.
Kieran

Post by Kieran »

My shortest skirt is 16" long which is probably the shortest i would go.
Think it's just about finding a balance between modesty and comfort, personally i would feel quite exposed in a shorter skirt.
Kilted Musician
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted Musician »

I've got a blue denim skirt that's 13" and that's definitely the shortest I'll wear in public. When wearing this skirt, I'm only walking... no sitting down! I'm more comfortable with skirts 15" to ankle length.

--Rick
Sikko

Post by Sikko »

All my skirts were till now about 12 inch long and I'm ok with that. Since a month I have a skirt that is 10.25 inch long. It feels really daring to wear it. I managed to wear it in 2 occasions (wandering at the beach and wandering in the woods). The skirt is a bit stretchy and it feels wonderful on the skin. Very comfortable!
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Sikko wrote:All my skirts were till now about 12 inch long and I'm ok with that. Since a month I have a skirt that is 10.25 inch long. It feels really daring to wear it. I managed to wear it in 2 occasions (wandering at the beach and wandering in the woods). The skirt is a bit stretchy and it feels wonderful on the skin. Very comfortable!
The one in your avatar ?

It is amazing how far the waist can be lowered to meet the hips where at that point it becomes "London Bridges falling down" nothing to hold
up that 10 or so inches of hem.
Now of course there is that "DANGER" zone of wearing the skirt at the originally manufactured waist line and voila suddenly we do not have
enough fabric to avoid the peek-in-neese supported or unsupported understructure !
Now in your real world back 40 maybe someone operating a drone could see something of interest - too much flashy skin ? - but that trespassing
is different than putting the show on the road in common public view - exciting the uninitiated.

Comfort is found in your own realm enjoy it - there is way too much bible politics etc. in what is appropriate for wearing !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Regular Guy

Post by Regular Guy »

denimini wrote:I am a towering 5ft-7" and usually wear 14" minis in public without any hesitation; working on scaffold on the main street, shopping and travelling on city trains at peak hour; I was standing on a train with most people seated and did not feel uncomfortable. I wear them low on the waist (on the hips) and guess that there would be a couple of inches in that. I just measured one that I wore a lot on my last trip to Sydney and it was 12.5" front and 13.5" back .... it is the back you have to consider with minis; 2 mirrors or a camera are a help.

This is a 15 inch length. For me at 5’10”, and 125 lbs, that is the shortest I will go in public. And I am very judicious about where in public I will go with that length.

RG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Just a ......‘Regular Guy’ .......Kilted or Skirted
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Regular Guy wrote:
This is a 15 inch length. For me at 5’10”, and 125 lbs, that is the shortest I will go in public. And I am very judicious about where in public I will go with that length.

RG
That is a nice looking skirt, cheerfull without being floral .......... and a respectable length.

12.5 inches is very short and I doubt that I would have worn it if I had measured it first. The fact that I went around thinking it was 14" and there were no bad reactions, comments or rotten tomatos gave me the confidence that I could get away with it in future. It is important that we wear what we feel confident in, as confidence sets the cue for others.
DonP

Post by DonP »

Kilt length feels appropriate to me. Maybe a little shorter would be okay. Any shorter would make me feel lewd especially in public.
Regular Guy

Post by Regular Guy »

denimini wrote:
Regular Guy wrote:

RG
That is a nice looking skirt, cheerfull without being floral .......... and a respectable length.
I just realized, I think that madras skirt is the ONLY skirt I have that is not a solid color. Of course I have some kilts that are a tartan.

RG
Just a ......‘Regular Guy’ .......Kilted or Skirted
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I really like the idea of a patchwork skirt. The picture you posted shows an example that really rocks. A good way of using up some offcuts.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Sinned wrote:I really like the idea of a patchwork skirt. The picture you posted shows an example that really rocks. A good way of using up some offcuts.
Sometimes they are a print which looks as good and perhaps less fray prone but neither frugal with material nor as lavish with labour.
Last edited by denimini on Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.