Out and About -- In the World at Large

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
lazerr
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by lazerr »

Saturday I my wife and I visited a friend and I was wearing a skirt, as usual (my wife too, but that’s a new thing for her). She greeted us, we talked for awhile and then I went for a walk to the town of east Brookfield. I did a lot of walking, there is a nice lake there, and visited a pub in the center. I met many folks going about their business and only one beep from a car going by on route 9, with positive looks from the occupants.

When returning, my wife and her friend were sitting at the pool and I joined them. After chatting for about 20 minute, I got up to get a drink and on returning she suddenly looked surprised and said, “Oh!, you’re wearing one of your skirts. Have you been wearing that since you came here?” I was thrilled! I’d been there for hours, chatting and all that, and only after 4 hours did she notice. Fantastic! I really believe it’s all how you carry it.
Mike
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mike »

It absolutely is all in the attitude! If you accept yourself, the world does too!
Mike

Who the hell is 'society' anyway?
john62
Member Extraordinaire

Post by john62 »

Today out shopping in the local market, wearing an ankle length skirt, navy blue with blue polo and blue fleece jacket, for once everything matched. The cashier asked where I came from and then added because I was wearing a skirt, had a bit of a conversion why. Do people notice, yes thet do.

John
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

lazerr wrote: Now obviously the next step is to buy a shorter skirt instead of just pulling it up to my chest!
School girls used to roll them up at the waist to shorten them, although if they are long that makes a lot of bulk.

Seriously, it look great and I bet it feels great to wear too.
Mike wrote:If you accept yourself, the world does too!
I believe that is the case ......... and sounds like some wise old saying.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Currently sitting outside a wonderful curry restaurant in Ocean Village, Gibraltar, eating a wonderful curry the weather is perfection and I am in old faithful, my knee length denim cargo skirt, tonight, life and s good!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Kilted Musician
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted Musician »

Here's a pic me at a gig last month. The guitar player said, "You really know how to pull it off, wearing kilts and skirts! Mind if I take a pic?" I had no problems whatsoever. Last night I wore a 21" denim skirt, black t-shirt, and sandals. No comments from anyone, audience, employees, or band members. They all know I like my choice of clothing!
Black kilt.jpg
--Rick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

Managed several skirted and kilted outings lately, though haven't managed to post as I need to sit down at the keyboard to compose sensible English.

10 days ago I dropped my wife off early doors[1] with a friend to travel to a training course, and quickly switched from trousers to a black PU faux-leather pencil skirt with black tights. At this stage I was in chunky black shoes too. Went for breakfast in Morrisons and dealt with some emails. Then off to West Lothian to join my band for a local gala day [2]. Needless to say, this was trousered as per band uniform. (I think for everyone, M&F). Afterwards I headed for Livingston where I identified a couple of possibilities for hiking boots for wearing at the upcoming KiltWalk. I then traversed The Centre to purchase a new shoulder bag, my current one being a little shabby. To replace the chunky shoes I purchased some ballet pumps in Asda (surprised they had size 9) and then availed myself of public toilets to switch back to the skirt for the walk back to the car. This turned out to be a mistake for two reasons: first, The Centre was very warm and humid, and the combination of tights and suede-like lining on the skrit made me very hot! Second: half-way back to the car I had a call to say the journeying pair were passing teh Livingston exit on the motorway, and I needed to get a move on to meet them nearer Edinburgh. I mentally selected a pair of boots, which fortunately were put aside at the counter, paid for them, collected a coffee and cookie from Milllies and hurried to the car. Before arriving at the rendezvous, I had to find a layby [3] to change to trousers, so as not to surprise the friend or annoy my wife. Lesson for the day: sometimes it's not worth trying to squeeze skirting into a busy day.

Last Monday, I had afternoon to myself before band. I did some errands in my black value kilt, then headed to Almondell Country Park for a walk. I donned my new boots and an olive Breakburn stretch button through mini. This was perfect attire for the 3.5 mile stroll and the drive to Bathgate. Quick change back to the kilt for bnad rehearsal. (Word would potentially get back home otherwise.)

Today has been entirely kilted, with black kilt hose due to the cold northerly wind, but orange Clarks boat shoes and matching orange polo shirt from LUKE [4]. Wrote an article this morning, ferried MOH around some errands this afternoon. Came to Livingston to attempt to change the new bag as the stitching on the strap broke. (Stall closed. Will have to try another day). the planned walk was called off due to rain. Will find some dinner and head to band. That will be about 16 hours kilted and the only comment was from MOH on the orange shoes. "I don't think they go with the kilt." Response: "no, but they match the orange shirt."

Hopefully next Monday i'll be myself all day, and can enjoy the true pleasures of skirting.

[1] Early in the morning, usually implying earlier than normal, in this case 7:30am Saturday.
[2] An event involving "crowning" of a queen-for-a-day and a procession around the town or village
[3] Small (or large) space at the side fo the road for short term parking
[4] Never heard of them until I bought two polo shirts there recently - orange and lime green
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Last night in a hot and dry Gibraltar, after a dinner in Ocean Village am back at the hotel, windy, skirt needed catching a couple of times as I sit. Much cooler than shorts would have been. Glad I have the denim cargo skirt on, the other wafty skirt would have been rather embarrassing.
lazerr
Member Extraordinaire

Post by lazerr »

On the few occasions that I have to wear shorts I am amazed at how uncomfortable and hot they are. Luckily it isn't often.
melsav
Member Extraordinaire

Post by melsav »

On Sunday, Father's day, I went out to lunch with my wife, son, grandson and my son`s girlfriend, we had a very nice lunch. I was wearing my pink plaid kilt and white pilot shirt, short white socks and trainers. After lunch we went to the local supermarket to get a few things, while waiting in the checkout line a pretty young lady came up to me and asked if I would mind if her friend took a picture of her and myself, I said why would you want a picture with an old man like me she said "I love the way you are dressed and you look very nice" so I went with her and her friend took a couple of pictures, she said thank you very much and was very excited. On my way home I thought to myself, how many guys my age get to have their picture taken with pretty young women because of the way they are dressed :lol:
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

The few other examples I have heard of were men dressed like you, melsav. :mrgreen:
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

I had a guy ask for a photo with me in an airport because I was in a Utilikilt, and he thought it was great. His wife took the photo. That was a few years ago now. I generally try to fly kilted when I can. No issues.
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Forgot my pants

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

I was going to the pharmacy to pick up a non prescription medication and got my shoulder bag and went out and got in my truck, backed down the driveway, and was headed down the street. I suddenly remembered that I wasn't wearing any pants, however I was wearing a skirt which is what I always wear around my house and many other places. I am very comfortable in a skirt, but not where I would run in to friends or former colleagues and associates. I decided against turning around to go home and change, so I turned toward a different pharmacy which I don't usually patronize. I was not used to their floor plan and wandered around looking for the right aisle. I decided to ask for assistance from a very pretty young employee who was stocking shelves. I asked her for help finding the items and she said, "sure, follow me." She stopped and pointed to what I was looking for. I couldn't remember the name of the product, but brought a flap from the box from home. I took the box and another product to the cash register where another young lady was and completed my transaction. No one noticed what I was wearing.

There was a hardware store next to the pharmacy and there was an item I needed to finish a project at home. I walked in and was greeted by a young lady who asked if she could help me. I told her what I was looking for and was directed to the aisle where they stocked it and similar products. I enjoy hardware stores and like to wander around looking at things as well as looking at inventory for future needs. No one noticed or cared, either in the store or while on the sidewalk or parking lot.

In several years of wearing skirts I have had exactly two people notice, both were women and were very complimentary. One did ask what kind of underwear I had on. I looked at her and said, "the kind that tickle." She and her friend began to laugh so loud they drew the attention of everyone in the store. Even then no one noticed me.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Gibraltar trip drew to an end with in total maybe three evenings wandering around and into the main eaty/drinky area for evening refreshments while wearing my denim cargo skirt, never a mention, hardly a look, well not that I saw. On the last day, a last minute decision, although I was sharing the flight back with someone Naval who was out there for the same reason, who was staying in the same hotel, at the last minute I thought sod it, stuck the skirt back on for breakfast and for the journey back. I wonder if he will spread my clothing preferences when he gets back, if he noticed! Do I care? not really. Not any more.
Downside to walking around wearing a skirt; friction, rawness etc. Either I lose weight or get my legs moved further apart!
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Big and Bashful wrote:Downside to walking around wearing a skirt; friction, rawness etc. Either I lose weight or get my legs moved further apart!
Try some talcum powder between the legs. It will help reduce the friction and stop the rawness.
Of course losing weight is always a good idea if you really need to, but getting the legs moved a part is sure to cause much more pain than it is worth!!! :lol: :lol:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.