A warning to the Cafe' members - Please Read

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: A warning to the Cafe' members - Please Read

Post by Sinned »

It appears that there are 10 candidates for the leadership of the Conservative Party. What their membership needs to decide is whether they want the successor to be a champion of Brexit, a champion of Remain, a Leader of the Party or a Prime Minister the functionality each is slightly different. Of course in the meantime it's likely that there will be very little progress on Brexit negotiations. I've had to post this here as the Brexit thread is still locked.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
lazerr
Member Extraordinaire

Post by lazerr »

I don’t come to the skirtcafe for the political discussions, and, as long as they are in off topic threads, it doesn’t bother me that they are there. After reading some of them I realized that there is a possibility for “professional influencers” to use boards to inflame separation. This is exactly the wrong road, but I trust the moderators to cool the flames.
Stevie D
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stevie D »

lazerr wrote:I don’t come to the skirtcafe for the political discussions, and, as long as they are in off topic threads, it doesn’t bother me that they are there. After reading some of them I realized that there is a possibility for “professional influencers” to use boards to inflame separation. This is exactly the wrong road, but I trust the moderators to cool the flames.
I understand your concern, but I think the likelihood of “professional influencers” infiltrating here is low, as I believe all prospective members have to be approved by one of the moderators first before they can post anything. After that, there is a probabtionary period where their posts are moderated before being allowed. If, after all that, a member turns out to be a troll or other influencer, I think the moderators would be on to them very quickly and ban them.

The moderators do a great job in this respect and I, for one, thank them sincerely.
Stevie D
(Sheffield, South Yorkshire)
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Gusto10 wrote:Seeing that the Brexit thread was locked and seemingly also having missed the remark which let the hamer fall, all I would like to bring forward without getting into retrospect, that I found the discussion quit interesting as the forum gives the possibility of Global input.
The hammer fell as one particular member posted an image that was (1) off-topic and (2) designed to be needlessly inflammatory in nature. The image was summarily "disappeared", however damage was done.

See my earlier commentary about the differences in behaviour in the Brexit thread and a few of the ones involving US politics.

Stevie D is correct in that the moderators try to spot trolls and "influencers" pretty quickly and tend to have a dim view of both. Thanks, Stevie, for the affirming comment.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

It ain't easy being a monitor especially when you have to deal with stubborn old geezers like myself I vote that we double their pay
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

oldsalt1 wrote:It ain't easy being a monitor especially when you have to deal with stubborn old geezers like myself I vote that we double their pay
0 X 2 is still 0. :lol:

Seriously though.... I appreciate the thankless job the mods have.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Brad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Brad »

Maybe someone can explain this to a yankee from across the pond. Why is Brexit such an inflammatory topic?
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Brad wrote:Maybe someone can explain this to a yankee from across the pond. Why is Brexit such an inflammatory topic?
This was already explained above. For the most part, the Brits have been very, very well behaved. The interesting thing is that with an almost even divide they tend to comport themselves better than the Yanks who are dealing with an equally-divisive issue.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

oldsalt1 wrote:It ain't easy being a monitor especially when you have to deal with stubborn old geezers like myself I vote that we double their pay
Having been a moderator myself on another now defunct group, Our mods are the best I have seen. They have a thankless job at the best of times and when they must put in the "MOD HAT" they tend to have to put up with the flack.

So lets give our great mods a hand :clap: :clap: :clap:

Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
lazerr
Member Extraordinaire

Post by lazerr »

I have to agree with Fred. This is a very well managed group. Seems anything goes as long as the intent isn't to overtly cause trouble. I've seen so many of these fail when flamers get out of control. That's not happening here for sure.

Thanks.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I agree that the mods do a first class job but I think that in this case they have stifled a good debate at a very crucial time in this island's history. Events unfolding over the next few months should be particularly interesting and viewpoints from both Brexiteers and Remainders should be welcome. We have members in both camps and I think that it should be agreed that neither one is going to influence the other to switch camps so that road is a bit pointless. So factual posts on what is happening and why should be welcomed. So a member went too far and the post was deleted. So what? The "damage" was rectified but wasn't really sufficient to lock the whole thread. There are times that I have said or done something inappropriate but shoulders shrugged, lessons learnt and life continues. The Tory party leadership begins. Watch this space. At this rate this thread will become a continuation of the locked one.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Just give it some time. He said he'd reopen it in a few weeks when emotions cool off a little.

As for politics in general, I'd say that in time the mods will ease up a little, but first us Americans need to prove that we can stop squabbling like little children. So why not let this be the starting point? Let's just drop it, get into other, more mild subjects and just see what comes down the tube tomorrow.

Sometimes the whole class gets silent lunch on account of a few. Is it fair? Usually not, but it does have a way of restoring order.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

moonshadow wrote:Just give it some time. He said he'd reopen it in a few weeks when emotions cool off a little.

As for politics in general, I'd say that in time the mods will ease up a little, but first us Americans need to prove that we can stop squabbling like little children. So why not let this be the starting point? Let's just drop it, get into other, more mild subjects and just see what comes down the tube tomorrow.

Sometimes the whole class gets silent lunch on account of a few. Is it fair? Usually not, but it does have a way of restoring order.
if I look at it from the old world, I do have at times the idea that in the US subjects go fully out of control, whilst in the old world the same items hardly get any attention. E.g. the whole #metoo thing hardly had any attention in the old world, while in the US one court case after the other. Indeed where in the old world people tend to grab a beer and talk it out, the "I'll sue you" is a expression often used in the US. hence litigation and counter litigation. One of the major differences is that in the old world circumstantial evidence isn't suffice, the evidence has to be 100% sound.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Just an advance warning, lads -- After a fairly well thought-out and entirely polite exchange between the members of the moderation team a vote was held on whether to unlock the Brexit thread or not, and the majority opinion was, "No". The prevailing sentiment was that even though things had remained polite that it was a train-wreck waiting to happen, so we decided to hold the train at the station.

It'll play out in time, and we shall see what comes of it then. I'm not willing to put another train into the Tay over the matter.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

I think the café is a great place not only on very rare occasions do we talk about men and their adventures in skirts.

but its the only place I know were in a period of a few days one can go from being considered a tottering old geeser to being called a squabbling young child