When will men wear women's clothing...

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Re: When will men wear women's clothing...

Post by new2skirts »

lazerr wrote:This isn't a political statement, just what I see around me. While I have seen women wearing skirts and dresses, it seems to be the exception, not the rule. For whatever reason, skirts are just not as popular for women.
For some, it may be the inconvenience of skirts / dresses, having to find tights or stockings, usually for women, it means uncomfortable shoes as well as having to be careful how they sit to avoid exposure, or being "upskirted" or recieving unwanted attention. Some see the skirt as a symbol of submission, which may not sit comfortable with the #metoo generation.

For western men, the only recognized unbifurcated garment is the kilt, which is seen as special occasion clothes like the tuxedo, despite designers sending skirted men onto catwalks, and occasional headlines of men wearing skirts because their workplace bans shorts in summer, I can't see the fashion taking off, except among the genderfluid...
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

new2skirts has mentioned the problem of accessorising dresses and skirts. Choosing tights, tops and so on can be a bit fiddly but since we are writing the rules for our particular clique we can pick and choose those things that are comfortable to us. So high heels which women seem to think are obligatory with skirts ( I initially typed hells before altering it as they are not for me ) need not be chosen if you find them difficult to adjust to. There are no male fashion police to say No to wearing trainers with a skirt, or going bare-legged in one. So colour clashing aside we can wear what we want without too much angst. :P
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Sinned wrote: since we are writing the rules for our particular clique we can pick and choose those things that are comfortable to us. So high heels which women seem to think are obligatory with skirts ( I initially typed hells before altering it as they are not for me ) need not be chosen if you find them difficult to adjust to. There are no male fashion police to say No to wearing trainers with a skirt, or going bare-legged in one. So colour clashing aside we can wear what we want without too much angst. :P
Good point! So, ask yourself this question-what works for you?
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Darryl »

Grok wrote:
Sinned wrote: since we are writing the rules for our particular clique we can pick and choose those things that are comfortable to us. So high heels which women seem to think are obligatory with skirts ( I initially typed hells before altering it as they are not for me ) need not be chosen if you find them difficult to adjust to. There are no male fashion police to say No to wearing trainers with a skirt, or going bare-legged in one. So colour clashing aside we can wear what we want without too much angst. :P
Good point! So, ask yourself this question-what works for you?
I'll third that. I usually go to church Sundays wearing one of my three good kilts worn over a lightweight summer skirt with a 15" drop worn over the obligatory support hose in midnight black and my regular black shoes. In this case my top was a white short-sleeved turtleneck with an oval opening in the back of the neck I vaguely think is for ease in attaching a necklace and my grey jacket. Don't tell the kilt-police, but it is received quite well most places I haunt, and surprisingly the Ren-Fair and Scottish Games though I may simply have not yet met a kilt-police-person whose tonsils have been....well-lubricated by uisge.

Less formal the kilt is left behind and the skirt can be denim, leather, pencil, and so on. Bling and so on, if present, may vary with the occasion. Skirt jackets depend on weather and desired look.

With a full beard I'm obviously a guy and not trying to pass or anything so I don't notice any reaction beyond a rare double-take if I'm blazing new territory.

So...tonight I go back to church leaving the kilt and jacket behind and replaced the turtleneck with a tee-shirt with an Alaskan print on the front.

Reaction? <yawn> Except for the skirt most of us were dressed similarly.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

What works for me? A-line above the knee with or without frills. Velvet or broderie anglaise floats me. Skater type, denim of various colours. Tartan design but not really into florals or kilts. Skorts, certainly, although I have only managed to find one, but wear it often. Short slips worn with appropriate skirts. I have ankle length tiered skirts but have not found it cold enough to wear them. Tops, cami, vests, collared shirts, polo neck, T-shirts. Tights of all deniers depending on the temperature. Not into high heels.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Skaterswaltz

Post by Skaterswaltz »

I bought a short skirt off a sale rack yesterday. Fit perfectly. Cotton, it was ideal for walking about yesterday in humid weather. Going back to the store later today to show them how well it works. Cost $1.00. There are lots of opportunities out there to look and feel great with this. And in yesterday’s heat, my whole body was singing!
Mike
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mike »

I pretty much don't wear anything from the mens department from the waist down. Skirts/shorts/shoes are all womens. My kilts are mens. And I have a couple of pair of mens work boots that I wear when needed.
Mike

Who the hell is 'society' anyway?
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Sinned wrote:new2skirts has mentioned the problem of accessorising dresses and skirts. Choosing tights, tops and so on can be a bit fiddly but since we are writing the rules for our particular clique we can pick and choose those things that are comfortable to us. So high heels which women seem to think are obligatory with skirts ( I initially typed hells before altering it as they are not for me ) need not be chosen if you find them difficult to adjust to. There are no male fashion police...
Yeah, well, true, but dang, if I'd known I'd enjoy heels so much I wouldn't have said similar things to myself at one time. Now I am more likely to be very encouraging about guys trying heels and putting as much effort into making them work as they can muster, because they DO make for a unique "look" in a way that heels with pants don't, and once you are accustomed to them, they can be very pleasant to stand and walk in.

Heels and skirts are like warm apple pie and vanilla ice cream together on the same plate, not mandatory but definitely worth a try. I would be surprised if there is anyone who does not find heels difficult to adjust to. Finding the patience to get comfortable with them is apt to be an issue for most men, I suspect.

Amen to us writing our own rules. (no, this still does not mean that a red ronald macdonald wig is a good choice)
Daryl...
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Daryl wrote:Amen to us writing our own rules. (no, this still does not mean that a red ronald macdonald wig is a good choice)
If the wig fits, wear it and put the rules behind you.
Just to be really risqué, damn "colour coordination" too if the fancy takes you!
Steve.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

When you are wearing a kilt or some of the more" manly type skirts sneakers and heavier shoes are fine

When you move in the direction of a more delicate type of skirt heels greatly improve the look.

I wear the shoes with the thick heel they call clunky heels. I favor the shoes by Brinley Co on amazon they are as comfortable as any shoe I have ever gotten.

The tallest I have ever been was 5 foot 6 I am at 5,5 on my way down wearing a 3 inch heel is great I can reach stuff on the top shelf :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have some shoes with a 4 inch heel and the view is much different from up there
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

OS,
At 5'5", 4" heels won't get you anywhere near six feet. Above that the Climate changes appreciably, especially if you have little or no hair (like me). Carl R Friend for instance at his lofty height approaching two meters ought to feel the cold, but with his hair down to his waist he doesn't feel cold at all and keeps boasting to me about the fine weather in Boston :!:
Dennis,
A succinct short paragraph setting out your skirting preferences which coincide perfectly with mine. :)

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

Well, when wearing skirts or kilt, it's also what will be accepted without frown by moh (even though she says she doesn't mind). Mostly utility kilts with work boots especially when working in the garden. When wearing a regular (leather) skirt it will be in solid colours with matching tights and knee high boots. Many years ago I experimented with a pair of 5 inch block heels and a 1 inch platform. They saved me getting a ladder whenever I had to change lightbulbs of ceiling light fixtures.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

I find it quite ironic to think that many women were beating themselves up over the opposite to this question not so long ago.
If you can, just get out there and make it your own.
The women have given all the evidence needed that it actually does work.
Steve.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

STEVIE wrote:If you can, just get out there and make it your own.

The women have given all the evidence needed that it actually does work.
Indeed. Pick clothes that you like and that you think look good, develop a cogent sense of your own style and tinker with it until perfect. Well executed, that can be a very compelling image,

But, most of all, just get out there.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

oldsalt1 wrote:When you are wearing a kilt or some of the more" manly type skirts sneakers and heavier shoes are fine

When you move in the direction of a more delicate type of skirt heels greatly improve the look.

I wear the shoes with the thick heel they call clunky heels. I favor the shoes by Brinley Co on amazon they are as comfortable as any shoe I have ever gotten.

The tallest I have ever been was 5 foot 6 I am at 5,5 on my way down wearing a 3 inch heel is great I can reach stuff on the top shelf :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have some shoes with a 4 inch heel and the view is much different from up there
I'm 6' 1" and even 2.5" heels make me notice being closer to the ground when I remove them.

At 5'5" it must be tempting to get some real stilts, like shoes with a 1 inch platform and a heel that adds 3 inches to that (for a total of 4 inches). I love the look of platforms myself but at my height I already hit my head on too many things.
Daryl...