Out and About -- In the World at Large

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by pelmut »

Railway station = Train station
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

What surprised me about US practice is that the engineer just controls the train, the conductor is the senior person in charge of the train.
I think marshalling yard as a term has been superceded by rail yard or freight yard for the most part.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

melsav wrote:Today at the beach for coffee in my new aquasition.
Looks like a practical sort of outfit - with good pockets in the skirt. Does the the hem limit your stride?
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
lazerr
Member Extraordinaire

Post by lazerr »

I used to feel that the short skirts weren't for me, being an older guy. That has started to change as, last week we had an 80 degree Fahrenheit day, and I got a heat rash that was just about the hem line. I pulled the skirt up and the rash went away and I had much more mobility. Seems that it looks ok to as well. As usual, almost no one really cares what I wear.

Now obviously the next step is to buy a shorter skirt instead of just pulling it up to my chest!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
melsav
Member Extraordinaire

Post by melsav »

denimini wrote:
melsav wrote:Today at the beach for coffee in my new aquasition.
Looks like a practical sort of outfit - with good pockets in the skirt. Does the the hem limit your stride?
The skirt is a little longer than I normally wear and it do`s limit my stride a little and the pockets are big but very shallow so I would not put anything in them, and also there is no pockets at the back.
melsav
Member Extraordinaire

Post by melsav »

Hi Lazer. Shorter skirts do give you much more mobility and better ventilation. Your skirt at that length looks great and nice legs to show off too. :D
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

I buy skirts in various lengths and then have them shortened. I go to a dry cleaner and have the lady measure me where I like to wear skirts, which is slightly above my knees. It seems to be the optimum skirt length for me. I get the best stride, coolest ventilation, most freedom and comfort. They are kind of short when sitting, such as in a theater, restaurant, or similar.
melsav
Member Extraordinaire

Post by melsav »

Happy-N-Skirts wrote:I buy skirts in various lengths and then have them shortened. I go to a dry cleaner and have the lady measure me where I like to wear skirts, which is slightly above my knees. It seems to be the optimum skirt length for me. I get the best stride, coolest ventilation, most freedom and comfort. They are kind of short when sitting, such as in a theater, restaurant, or similar.
If you get skirts with plenty of volume around the Hem such as skater skirts that's great you can get a great stride and ventilation because as you walk the skirt flaps about and creates the ventilation. I have a couple of circle skirts that I made and are very comfortable and cool.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

The wife and I were at Greenfield Lake Amphitheater last night to see Rodrigo y Gabriela in concert. It was excellent, sound and weather was perfect. The high yesterday was only about 83 and by the early evening show, it was in the mid to low 70s F. A week ago it was 101F in Wilmington, and that's frickin' hot. The record high temp there is only 104F. I was in a long black ruched skirt by XCVI with zipper pockets and a Betabrand black tee with the "bendymon" characters in light tan. Black 2-strap toe-loop sandals. Today was much hotter, and I woke up to find my truck battery had died overnight, and upon discovering it was over 7 years old, had to replace it, then spent the day doing grounds maintenance around our AirBnB duplexes. Or is that "duplices?"

Photo taken during their amazing instrumental version of Pink Floyd's "Echoes." You tube audio: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8iO1kmY8A8
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by dillon on Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Another pretty cool video of Rodrigo y Gabriela.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5fDQlphPd4
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

melsav wrote:
Happy-N-Skirts wrote:I buy skirts in various lengths and then have them shortened. I go to a dry cleaner and have the lady measure me where I like to wear skirts, which is slightly above my knees. It seems to be the optimum skirt length for me. I get the best stride, coolest ventilation, most freedom and comfort. They are kind of short when sitting, such as in a theater, restaurant, or similar.
If you get skirts with plenty of volume around the Hem such as skater skirts that's great you can get a great stride and ventilation because as you walk the skirt flaps about and creates the ventilation. I have a couple of circle skirts that I made and are very comfortable and cool.
I prefer skirts with more volume versus short skirts.
Better coverage, cooler than shorts, and decent stride. I have sun burnt the back of my calves, tell you that hurts.
Kilts have tons of unlimited stride.

In the out and about.

I had to drive for work today a 30 mile one way trip.
With the temperature around 78 degrees Fahrenheit.

I eagerly went into the men's room and put on my black pointe skirt, pulled my pants back on. And headed to the truck. As soon as I get off of company property, and can safely pull to the side of the the road, the pants come off. Freedom for my hot and sweaty legs and private regions.
What relief!
I drive to my destination change. Drop off my parts, get back the truck, pull the pants back off, and head back towards work. All totaled I am able to spend 1.5 hours on the road skirt. Makes for a nice day out and about skirted even if it's just in a old pickup truck.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Yesterday made a few small stops for fuel and the Wytheville Virginia Shoney's with Jenn to get a bite to eat after visiting with dad (I changed prior to his visit and changed back after it was done). I was wearing my grey macabi and a regular tee-shirt so nothing too extreme. I will say however that "America was represented" in the Wytheville VA Shoney's on the night of June 8th 2019. The place was packed, among the patrons were myself sporing my macabi skirt, millenials and boomers, rednecks and... ... whatever the opposite of a redneck is, and I can say I wasn't the only man wearing a dress like garment in the building. A few tables away sat what appeared to be a priest of some kind wearing a long white and blue robe. Beside him a what looked like a nun wearing blue nun garb. The priest with his large bling like cross hanging from is neck... and the biggest muddiest work boots that I would have ever expected to see paired with such an outfit.

Today, a small stop at the dreaded Lebanon Walmart to grab a few provisions for the week ahead and to the local "Just Save" for some catfish among other things. I wore my knee length denim dress with Mary Janes.

At Walmart the usual amount of giggles, googly eyes and snapping necks. After I had been in there a while it seemed to die down. I made it out alive as usual....

Here's to corrupting the little children! :twisted: :toast:

And now I'm sitting here under the sun that finally decided to show itself at 5PM on a freaking Sunday afternoon... blasting Lou Reed....
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote:Here's to corrupting the little children! :twisted: :toast:
:rock:

I was out and about today wearing my short little yellow skirt as the temperatures got up into the 80s (F).
And now I'm sitting here under the sun that finally decided to show itself at 5PM on a freaking Sunday afternoon... blasting Lou Reed....
Here at the moment, on my backup SGI Indy, it's John Williams performing The Streets of London by Ralph McTell. Life is pretty good at the moment. (It's going to stink tomorrow morning, though, as I head into the office to mop up a messy power-cut from this morning.)
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

I was out every day last week in my newest dress and a variety of skirts too.
Perhaps it's just location but the only adverse comment was from a guy but I also think he may have had mental health issues.
That aside, I have barely detected anything more than a second glance.
A Community Warden even gave me a hug as she had not seen me around in a while.
The plan is now to resume work from the 17th June.
Steve.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Excellent new all the way 'round Steve! Enjoy your last week off -- then hit 'em hard.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!