Mexico City schools adopt gender neutral uniforms

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Mexico City schools adopt gender neutral uniforms

Post by Stu »

They have been trying them by the look of this story:

https://www.wheninmanila.com/in-this-ci ... to-school/
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I notice most of the boys are smiling and the girls look pissed off... :lol:

Guess skirts and dresses do result in random bouts of happiness and joy...
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

moonshadow wrote:I notice most of the boys are smiling and the girls look pissed off... :lol:
Yes it seems that all but one boy is enjoying the switch and all of the girls are not enjoying it at all. It must be because the boys are too happy! :lol:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ralph »

I love that picture, Stu, but I don't think it's related to the recent proclamation in Mexico City. A reverse image search turns up thousands of hits, some of them going back 5 or more years, with the caption "Switch day at a Mexican school. I want this so badly at my school".

Most of the hits are on Pinterest or copyright-violating Pinterest knockoffs that scrape content, but they all point to a defunct Instagram account... making it seem more likely that the photo is from long ago.

Still, I do love jumper dresses (pinafore in the UK) and I do love big pleats. I wonder if that's available in a 22W? :D
Ralph!
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Fred in Skirts wrote:
moonshadow wrote:I notice most of the boys are smiling and the girls look pissed off... :lol:
Yes it seems that all but one boy is enjoying the switch and all of the girls are not enjoying it at all. It must be because the boys are too happy! :lol:
I guess we here would, naturally, all hope the boys would be ecstatic to wear skirts. But maybe that's not how the rest of the male population looks at the prospect of freedom from society's forced gender-symbolic unofficial dress code. Maybe the broad association of interests, related to MIS, is lost to others. Perhaps they say "Why would I want to dress this way every day?" while we all say "Why wouldn't you want to dress that way, when you have the new-found freedom to do so?" Hard to believe, but perhaps we can still share an infinite range of social values with guys who shrug and say "Meh..." to something we here all think is the ultimate prize to be won. Go figure.

But the flipside of the matter is this: If the majority of men began to exercise their rights to wear skirts, would it then lose its appeal to the rest of us? I like the feeling of being an individual expressing what no one else seems to care to express...whatever it is that I'm expressing by wearing skirts and dresses. I wouldn't mind it if I was not usually the ONLY MAN IN SIGHT expressing it...having a few others around in similar attire would be great, but frankly I'd want only a few. If it actually become a trend, I think maybe the appeal would be diminished. Speaking for myself, at least, part of the fun is in being different and enigmatic. The late John Hartford sang a song called "Granny Wontcha Smoke Some Marijuana." One of the verses goes: "I used to get high and listen to the Beatles/Ain't as much fun now that it's legal." I wonder what I'd look for if MIS ever did become commonplace?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mufbOqlRjmA
Last edited by dillon on Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

I doubt if many of the patrons of the café would have been amongst the "cool" kids while at school.
While I would have loved to wear a skirt at school, I felt like a minority of one and the secret was kept.
I kept my head down and was essentially invisible except for the times that my acne and glasses warranted unwelcome attention.
I have no idea what skirt wearing would have brought down on my head at school or at home for that matter.
Schooldays do not evoke fond memories!
However, I can also recall some characters who could have made such choices with absolute immunity. They would also have been sheepishly followed by an awful lot of others. I may have been able to join in but we will never know now.
If the change is coming from the kids, it will be led by such as them and not the intimidated ones.
We can only hope.
Steve.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

As far as schooldays go my Primary school was mixed sex as most are. But at age 11 I went to the Grammar School which was single sex. The girls went to the High School some distance away. So the envy of the girls' dresses and skirts lay dormant for a while because the temptation was no longer around. So in my case the desire for skirts didn't really start to surface until I got married and could see MOH wearing them.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

dillon wrote:

But the flipside of the matter is this: If the majority of men began to exercise their rights to wear skirts, would it then lose its appeal to the rest of us? I like the feeling of being an individual expressing what no one else seems to care to express...whatever it is that I'm expressing by wearing skirts and dresses. I wouldn't mind it if I was not usually the ONLY MAN IN SIGHT expressing it...having a few others around in similar attire would be great, but frankly I'd want only a few. If it actually become a trend, I think maybe the appeal would be diminished.

Not for me, it wouldn't. Skirts win over trousers irrespective of who else has the good sense to wear them, they keep me smiling. And while I also don't mind being the only skirted man within a 50 mile radius, and I can ignore all the funny looks, I really would prefer to be normal!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
john62
Member Extraordinaire

Post by john62 »

Yes, but what is normal? When one stops to look around at our fellow citizens many deviate from normal in one way or another. Often the normal folk in the normal dull clothing are not much fun and do not look like there is much enjoyment. Being "not normal" is hard quite often but one has to admit it is more fun stirring the normal people up :alien:

John
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

It's the old, "Someone called me normal, once. I've never been so insulted in all my life!" I see folk about with outlandish hairstyles or clothing choices or some other aberration and think, "I'd rather be seen around in a dress/skirt than appearing like that." But they seem to be content the way that they are so I shrug shoulders and go on my way. I don't pass moral judgement or comment or even think ill of them - just, "you wouldn't see me dead like that". And that's how I would like them to treat me.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Sinned wrote:It's the old, "Someone called me normal, once. I've never been so insulted in all my life!" I see folk about with outlandish hairstyles or clothing choices or some other aberration and think, "I'd rather be seen around in a dress/skirt than appearing like that." But they seem to be content the way that they are so I shrug shoulders and go on my way. I don't pass moral judgement or comment or even think ill of them - just, "you wouldn't see me dead like that". And that's how I would like them to treat me.
I would NEVER call you NORMAL, Dennis, LOL. :lol: :lol: :lol: (Just kidding, my friend. You are garden-variety normal for THIS audience!)
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Just call me "ABBY NORMAL" :lol:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Thank you dillon. I do appreciate the compliment. Some around me would disagree but then ....
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

STEVIE wrote: However, I can also recall some characters who could have made such choices with absolute immunity. They would also have been sheepishly followed by an awful lot of others.
I remember one such character in my high school days, who did make such a choice, and did get away with it. At the same time, no one else followed. He shaved his legs, and made it the talk of the school, without losing his cool status. Still, as I said, no one else followed suit.