Mexico City schools adopt gender neutral uniforms

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Brad
Member Extraordinaire

Mexico City schools adopt gender neutral uniforms

Post by Brad »

School students in Mexico City can now wear gender neutral uniforms. There doesn't appear to be a requirement to identify as transgendered.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-48511416
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Mexico City schools adopt gender neutral uniforms

Post by Sinned »

As has been stated here before, that's fine in theory but how many of the boys will have the desire and the cojones to wear a skirt? It may just be an excuse for the girls to wear trousers, if they didn't already. Ironically, such a move could actually mean that fewer skirts are worn by either boys or girls. Mind stew if such a policy was available when I was a youngster would I have availed myself of the opportunity? I don't know. I envied the girls their dresses and skirts but would that have been enough to overcome the societal pressure at that time? As far as I can remember my mindset at the time, the VERY working class area but on the positive side the mid-sixties fashion up swell with miniskirts and colourful clothing it would probably be 50/50.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Same old/same old, females raiding our side of the aisle again.
Last edited by Grok on Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ralph »

On the plus side at least the boys who are openly trans or gender nonconforming can wear skirts without violating school policy.
Sinned wrote: I envied the girls their dresses and skirts but would that have been enough to overcome the societal pressure at that time?
That's me exactly. I would have given almost anything to wear dresses like the girls at my school in the mid-sixties, but I drew the line at getting beaten to a pulp by bullies.

For me the biggest takeaway was reading about "Mayor Sheinbaum". Mexico City is about the last place in this hemisphere I'd expect to see a Jewish mayor, but according to Wikipedia she certainly is.
Ralph!
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

I'm afraid the only point in this is so that girls can wear trousers. They already know boys aren't going to wear skirts because of it being a strict social taboo.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Googled "Mexico" and "machismo", and what I read indicates that machismo is part of Mexican culture.
Brad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Brad »

Like Sinned stated I also was envious of what the girls could wear to school. Ironically they were forced to wear skirts in my day and probably envied the boys as well for not having to wear skirts. New York winters can be quite cold. As for boys in skirts being bullied, if there is a critical mass of boys in skirts it would probably be more acceptable for other boys to wear them. I'm not as cynical as some on this thread which feel that this policy only benefits the girls. It looks like equality to me. Puerto Rico has allowed boys to wear skirts since 2015 and I'd be curious to know if the boys are availing themselves of this freedom. When I was in high school we had a freshman initiation day where some boys were required to wear a skirt just for that day. As my luck would have it I was not in that group and was so disappointed.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

Grok wrote:Googled "Mexico" and "machismo", and what I read indicates that machismo is part of Mexican culture.

It is very much a part of the culture.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

In any given school if one of the "cool boys" decides to adopt skirt wearing we could have the beginnings of a fashion.
In the jungle which we fondly call a playground these kids truly are the ultimate dictators.
Does nobody remember those days?
Steve.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

STEVIE wrote:In the jungle which we fondly call a playground these kids truly are the ultimate dictators.
Unfortunately, yes. That's precisely why I do not expect to see the fashion of guys wearing skirts emerge from the school system.

As Brad put it, if there was a critical mass it might catch on, but assembling that critical mass is difficult and likely impossible. For any of the "Cool Boys" to give it a shot, he'll first ask himself, "What's this likely to cost me?" and if he does he'll not give it a go -- there's be too much at risk. In the highly unlikely event that the notion does catch on, I suspect it'll be from the very "uncool" population, most likely the kids who are artistic types or are otherwise already outcasts.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ralph »

crfriend wrote:In the highly unlikely event that the notion does catch on, I suspect it'll be from the very "uncool" population, most likely the kids who are artistic types or are otherwise already outcasts.
Which, sadly, will serve only to further dissuade the general population from participating. "See, only freaks and losers (or, more likely, f****ts) do that!"
Ralph!
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

crfriend wrote:
STEVIE wrote:In the jungle which we fondly call a playground these kids truly are the ultimate dictators.
Unfortunately, yes. That's precisely why I do not expect to see the fashion of guys wearing skirts emerge from the school system.

In the highly unlikely event that the notion does catch on, I suspect it'll be from the very "uncool" population, most likely the kids who are artistic types or are otherwise already outcasts.
Who, after being beaten by bullies, refrain from further skirt wearing until they have aged out of there.

Conspicuous non-conformity to traditional masculinity (I expect doubly so with the machismo version) will make these mavericks obvious targets for bullies.

Keep in mind that, despite what an official dress code says, there may be an unwritten dress code, which among school boys will be enforced by bullies.
Last edited by Grok on Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Ralph wrote:Which, sadly, will serve only to further dissuade the general population from participating. "See, only freaks and losers (or, more likely, f****ts) do that!"
That goes without saying.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

One thing we have going for us that the Mexicans don't is kilting. So for us there is a precedent for a skirt like garment as mens wear.

On the other hand, what if your culture has no such precedent, and your culture's traditional masculinity is the extreme version called machismo?
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

We shouldn’t characterize Mexico by the Hollywood film stereotype. Mexico is a tough place to live with a lumbering giant of a neighbor reflecting the country’s economic means. But we also need to remember their economy is growing faster than ours, thanks to trade, though they have many ladder rungs to ascend before catching up with the US. Socially, Mexico is no worse hamstrung by conservative religion and machismo than the US. We don’t really have a sense of social shifting in the trend-setting cosmopolitan population of Mexico. And believe it or not, there is one. We generally hear only the bad news about Mexico, which ignores their majority and only serves US right-wing media with a negative, bigoted image to maintain.

Either there or here, we boomers will always be behind the curve in predicting the post-millennial social change. Perhaps because we are too fixated on symbolic outward expressions and out of touch with the undercurrent of generational thinking? I expect we will end up surprised, but pleased, both here and to our south. Our POV is influenced by a media establishment that operates by defining a norm and calling attention to anything that trends away from that norm, either to the right or left, with applause or disdain. Change, however, rolls like the tides, shifting the sand beneath our feet before we deign to move.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...