WORDS THAT BUG ME

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Re: WORDS THAT BUG ME

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Kilted Musician wrote:
Fred in Skirts wrote:Alright minding your P's and Q's is one thing but doing it on the PDQ is totally another. How many of you know what PDQ stands for :?: :lol:
Hi Fred,
Either Pretty Darn Quick or Pretty D**n Quick, depending on your leaning towards swearing!

--Rick
Give the man a Blue Ribbon :!: :!: :!: :lol:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Fred in Skirts wrote:How many of you know what PDQ stands for :?: :lol:
The first initials of Johann Sebastian Bach's last -- and least -- child (who also went on to become a "composer")!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Carl, the "Four Yorkshiremen" sketch is considered a classic. Interestingly, as Ronnie Barker would have pointed out as he was a master of this type of sketch, the whole sketch wouldn't have worked had it been delivered in another accent. Just as the accent was key in his "Four Candles" sketch. Yorkshiremen are supposed to be, ahem, a bit tight with their money and come from a very working class part of the country. Combined with other aspects of the stereotypical Yorkshire character it makes the sketch rock.

In terms of credit card machines I understand that it stands for Process Data Quickly.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Kilted Musician
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted Musician »

Fred in Skirts wrote:
Kilted Musician wrote:
Fred in Skirts wrote:Alright minding your P's and Q's is one thing but doing it on the PDQ is totally another. How many of you know what PDQ stands for :?: :lol:
Hi Fred,
Either Pretty Darn Quick or Pretty D**n Quick, depending on your leaning towards swearing!

--Rick
Give the man a Blue Ribbon :!: :!: :!: :lol:
Thanks for the ribbon, Fred. I'll use it as trim on one of my skirts! :lol:
--Rick
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

I think the most annoying modern habit, along with staring every sentence by saying “So”, is the use of ur, u, m8 ppl etc. There is no shortage of letters, unless faffing about on twitter or if suffering limited texts, if I receive a text with any of these, or an emoji, I just ignore it. I have been known to reply and tell the sender to try using english, oh, smileys as well, what is wrong with words? Don’t they teach people how to communicate any more?

Ah, that feels better!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Ray wrote:Blimey. Where do I start? Actually, it is phrases that bug me rather than words, but here are a few.

- Starting a sentence with "So"

- A possessive apostrophe where the word is plural (for example, kilt's)

- "Like" thrown into the middle of a sentence ("he was, like, really tall")

- Instead of saying "I agree", saying "100%"
I always felt that way about people who interject "you know" repeatedly in a conversation. When I hear more than a single "you know?" it says to me that the person speaking doesn't know. I am not exactly John Ciardi when it comes to the English language, but when all the richness of spoken and written word exists, it's a shame to be part of the segment of the world that insists on shrinking its vocabulary.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Uncle Al wrote:
moonshadow wrote:
beachlion wrote:Now the Americans can say they get more gallons of gas
in their tank than the British can put petrol in.
And why do we call it a gas anyway when it's a liquid?
Though I suppose when it's metered in an engine it's mostly a vapor.
But at any rate it would make more sense to just call it "fuel".
OK, "youngster", the word 'Gas' is used as the shortened form of 'Gasoline'.
I'm sure you know this, so, here's to a bit of leg pulling ;)
:hide:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
I'm old enough to remember long-deceased old-timers who called all gasoline "White Flash", which, I am told, was a brand of gasoline long vanished from the market. For many years I thought the term was slang for illegally-made liquor, like "White Lightnin'." Perhaps because I once heard D. M. "Carbine" Williams' brother use the term. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ug8p5pVsj9U
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Words with the added word man.

Like:
Manbag
Manscaping
Manskirts
Manties
Man purse or murse
Manbun

You get the idea.
Women just take our stuff without asking or renaming it.

You never heard a woman say.
"I'm wearing my woman jeans" (they openly admit to wearing "boy friend" jeans)
Woman suit
Woman tie
Woman boxer shorts
Woman cowboy boots.

They just take it and unashamedly wear it without renaming it.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

^ This
mishawakaskirt wrote:You never heard a woman say.
"I'm wearing my woman jeans" (they openly admit to wearing "boy friend" jeans)
Woman suit
Woman tie
Woman boxer shorts
Woman cowboy boots.
In fact there is a type of womens underwear called something like "boy short panties" (I think... it's been a while since I've seen it) but they closely resemble men's briefs without the little cut in the middle.

Yes women are willing to proudly wear items made for THEM with "man" or "boy" in the name.

You will never hear me use words like "murse" or "manskirt". No... it's a purse and a skirt.

Men can be so insecure... not very "manly" if you ask me. Most men strike me as a bunch of pansies.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

well I have to say that a lot of my dresses look nicer and fit better because in my old age I am developing a set of moobs. And the dresses also look nice with my mantyhose .
Richard_09

Post by Richard_09 »

https://www.bustle.com/p/11-gross-sound ... ence-36115
Actually I like the word ''rural'' but the others are gross indeed :D
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

While some of the associations aren't pleasant the words themselves don't perturb me. i can't see what all the fuss is about.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Richard_09 wrote:https://www.bustle.com/p/11-gross-sound ... ence-36115
Actually I like the word ''rural'' but the others are gross indeed :D
The only one that bothered me was "lugubrious" because I wasn't quite sure what it meant. It sounded like an adjective for expelled "phlegm." Like in "Forgive me, but I just sneezed a rather lugubrious deposit on the back of your shirt." Plus, as Will Rogers famously attested of the concept of technocracy, "Nothin' you can't spell will ever work."
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

The word that "bugs" me the most is....

"Mosquito"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Speaking of bugs, certain euphemisms for bugs bother me, especially for cockroaches. And here I'm speaking of the huge mahogany-colored American cockroach, which may be over an inch and a half long, and not the little brown German cockroach that you northerners know. In the southern coastal region some North Carolinians call them "water bugs" and South Carolinians call them "palmetto bugs." They are neither. They are fu--in' COCKROACHES! The best thing about the American roaches is that they move slow, and when you whack one with a flip-flop, the guts tend to remain inside the bug. The little German roaches, however, always make a gooey mess, and are darn-near impossible to hit with anything. BTW, the reason roaches can evade being smushed are the nearly invisible, hair-like cilia that cover their exoskeletons. When an object, like a shoe, is hurtling toward them, the hair-like cilia detect the direction of the air currents generated by the attempted swat, and the bug flees away from the moving air. That's why a dust-buster is the perfect cockroach capture tool. They will run right into one.