Out and About -- In the World at Large

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by dillon »

beachlion wrote:
dillon wrote:...... and today to attend a "Safe Seafood Fair" sponsored by the Coastal Federation, the NAACP, and other organizations, and aimed at informing African-American and Latino populations who use mercury-contaminated fish and crabs from the Cape Fear River as a dietary mainstay, of alternatives to cooking and harvesting risky species. For example, I had not realized that these target populations strain and reuse cooking oil. In addition to frying fish being being a less-than-healthy preparation, the reused oil accumulates both dangerous elements like mercury and arsenic, as well as persistent organics like PCBs...all of which unfortunately flow downriver from NC's industrial region, and become highly concentrated in fish here in our coastal, sluggish, brackish estuarial waters. ........
Some decades ago they called the Rhine River the sewer of Europe. After years of regulating the industry along the Rhine, the river is more or less clean. Even the salmon is back in the river while the river is one of the main ways of transport over water.

That is how a well regulated and caring society operates.
The Cape Fear is not a heavily industrially used waterway, and was likely never as polluted as the Rhine. But it has only a fraction of the flow of the Rhine too. Contaminated sediment moves slowly and tends to accumulate in the brackish salt marshes of the lower portion. The standards are exceeded at some points in many rivers and I think the state does a pretty good job at determining which portions of the river are likely to have fish that exceed them.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

At work skirted today. The Mrs and I have indulgently lent one of our cars to our eldest, so I was travelling by train. Thursday is choir practice day, which means a trip to Glasgow. And this evening I had to be there a lot earlier than usual so getting there from Ayr in time was going to be nigh on impossible.

All in all it was a day to work in the firm's Glasgow office, which the bosses are fine with, now and again. That meant no chance of a meeting with clients. And that meant a chance to wear a skirt.

Black T-shirt, red and grey tartan mini, black tights and black shoes. Train to Glasgow, short walk to the office buying a sandwich en route. The usual mix of sidelong glances and people who either don't notice or don't care.

I don't actually work with anyone in the Glasgow office, but I've met them quite often so some general chit-chat could be expected. Hardly a cheep from the men, though that could be because our paths didn't cross at all. A range of reactions from the women. One was just normal, no reaction or comment, just friendly as ever. One blanked me, but maybe her mind was on her work. Or maybe she thinks I'm beyond wierd. And one who started a conversation about my skirts.
"Is this the new work attire, then?"
"It is for me. Women get the choice, why shouldn't men?"
"Is it meant to be like a kilt?"
"No, I just happened to choose a tartan skirt today. I like wearing skirts, they're comfortable and a lot less boring than wearing suits, jeans or chinos."
And so on. She didn't have a problem with it, she was just trying to get her head round the idea. She'd seen me in a kilt before but she had missed the work socials when I had been skirted.

Then train, chip shop, choir practice, train home. All without incident and with me feeling rather pleased with how the day had gone!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Top result!

I was in Glasgow yesterday. No skirt, sadly. Just trussed up in the usual suit.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Oops! A little too quick with my conclusion there. Turns out that the Glaswegians did the old trick of complaining behind your back rather than to your face. The director based in the Glasgow office wasn't there yesterday, but word got to her from more than one person, and she was not a happy bunny. Too unorthodox for her, and it's very much "her office, her rules". The people who had client meetings while I was there were worried about what the clients would think if they saw a man in a skirt, etc, etc.

So no more skirted days there. :-( But it was good while it lasted.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

skirtyscot wrote:Oops! A little too quick with my conclusion there. Turns out that the Glaswegians did the old trick of complaining behind your back rather than to your face.
Well, that's rotten news.

Offhand, I suspect it wasn't anybody you interacted with during the day, save perhaps the one that "blanked you", but others without enough other problems to worry about or just general busybodies.
So no more skirted days there. :-( But it was good while it lasted.
Just pack some "male drab" for when you're there, and blend into the woodwork like we're supposed to. Then pack it away again at the earliest convenience. Sometimes it's just simpler to "play the game" than be a renegade.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

I should go into that office as a prospective client - in a non tartan kilt suit - and remark on how boring the staff are dressed. “Clearly not a progressive or free thinking firm” l’ll say, and demand the services of one Alistair SkirtyScot, who I’ve been told good things about....

Could be fun!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Ray, I support Alastair in spirit and see what you say but it's an awful long way to travel just to make a point. :D You're in the middle of England and I'm just a wee bit north of you - a bit in terms of the distances involved. I face a similar situation in that they know at work that I wear a skirt and most have seen me in one [0] but I know that it would cause me problems for me to insist on wearing a skirt "on the clock" even though allowed by the dress code. As I have said often, I go to work, do something in between and go home. I work hard, am seldom with nothing to do and try and keep the customers happy.

[0] I do occasionally pop in when "off the clock" and talk to colleagues.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
sjsandy

Post by sjsandy »

I did a 6 mile hike this morning here in Phoenix wearing a very lightweight corduroy skirt. length was just a little above my knee. No reactions or responses from anyone on me wearing the skirt. I love hiking in a skirt as it is very comfortable.
melsav
Member Extraordinaire

Post by melsav »

Today at the beach for coffee in my new aquasition.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Right, ok, I am in Eastleigh, it is dry, warm, I am in a hotel that hasn’t got a restaurant. I am wearing my favourite old denim skirt and will be wandering out for a bite to eat, wonder how the South coast will feel about a big beardy man in a skirt?
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Very pleasant wee stroll, ok meal, no looks, no comments. On way back to the hotel I sat on a wall for a bit to watch some shunting in a marshalling yard. Got a thumbs up, a toot and a smile from the driver.
Nice !
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Big and Bashful wrote:Very pleasant wee stroll, ok meal, no looks, no comments. On way back to the hotel I sat on a wall for a bit to watch some shunting in a marshalling yard. Got a thumbs up, a toot and a smile from the driver.
Nice !
Being a Railfan here in the states (Train Spotter to you guys) I always get a kick out of the terms you use.

British----USA
Driver = Engineer
Shunting = Switching
Marshaling Yard = Rail Yard
Tram = Trolley Car
Bogie's = Truck's (The wheels under the car.)
Carriage = Passenger Car

And the list goes on, I think it is really neat that even with the difference in terms we still understand each other. :D
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Yep, I am fairly up to speed with US terminology as I spend a lot of time on a multiplayer train simulator, the simulation and maybe 90% of the others on the server are American, it is Run 8, well realistic and a great way to waste time.
To be honest, I don’t think Marshalling yard is the right UK term, my mind went a bit blank when Inwas typing!
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

You call a train driver an engineer? But all he does is drive the thing, no engineering required. You guys are so weird sometimes!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

skirtyscot wrote:You call a train driver an engineer? But all he does is drive the thing, no engineering required. You guys are so weird sometimes!
I suspect it's a corruption of the obsolete term "engine-man", but, yes, train drivers here west of the Pond are called "engineers".

The term "marshalling yard" is valid in these parts but very rarely heard. The rest of the terms that Moon called out I know well, but will add that sometimes UK usage occasionally includes the use of the term "van" for "carriage". Neither of those latter terms are ever heard here unless uttered by somebody with a Brit or European accent.

I've never heard of "Run 8" other than as a throttle setting.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!