"POLY TICKS" all things political

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Re: "POLY TICKS" all things political

Post by Fred in Skirts »

MAAShat1.png
:hide: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :hide:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
bridkid

Post by bridkid »

Ray wrote:Good luck with this thread!

I see that for Trump’s visit to the UK, a much larger hot air balloon is being prepared - that of a large Trump baby!

Here’s the one from last time :-)

https://www.thenational.scot/news/16350 ... -scotland/
How embarrassing. How puerile. I despair at the juvenile antics of these so-called 'protesters'. Whatever anyones' opinion of Trump, he is the president of the worlds most powerful country. We should respect the office of the president, if not the man. Also Khan, as mayor of a world city, is a classic example of a child well out of his depth.

My twopennorth for today...
If it aint Yorkshire, it's crap!
bridkid

Post by bridkid »

Jim wrote:As I understand it, we are free to condemn and insult politicians all we want on this thread, but never condemn their supporters. Does that sound right and fair?
Yes. Very fair. We all have our own view of the world. Some are naïve, some easily led, some mean well, some deeply malevolent. However all views are valid, good or bad!

I say bring back the stocks and barrels of rotten tomatoes!
bridkid

Post by bridkid »

Jim wrote:As I understand it, we are free to condemn and insult politicians all we want on this thread, but never condemn their supporters. Does that sound right and fair?
Yes. Very fair. We all have our own view of the world. Some are naïve, some easily led, some mean well, some deeply malevolent. However all views are valid, good or bad!

I say bring back the stocks and barrels of rotten tomatoes!
Jetblasted

Post by Jetblasted »

Every one of you is so far off the mark, you’re not even close to being right. Within the next month, the world will be shaken to its core. We’ve been lied to our whole lives. Hold on to your butts, boys. It’s going to be a bumpy ride. Things are about to get hairy.
Jetblasted

Post by Jetblasted »

CIA/JIDF/ADL/CTR
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

Every one of you is so far off the mark, you’re not even close to being right. Within the next month, the world will be shaken to its core. We’ve been lied to our whole lives. Hold on to your butts, boys. It’s going to be a bumpy ride. Things are about to get hairy.
#Declass
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

bridkid wrote:
Ray wrote:Good luck with this thread!

I see that for Trump’s visit to the UK, a much larger hot air balloon is being prepared - that of a large Trump baby!

Here’s the one from last time :-)

https://www.thenational.scot/news/16350 ... -scotland/
How embarrassing. How puerile. I despair at the juvenile antics of these so-called 'protesters'. Whatever anyones' opinion of Trump, he is the president of the worlds most powerful country. We should respect the office of the president, if not the man. Also Khan, as mayor of a world city, is a classic example of a child well out of his depth.

My twopennorth for today...
I actually have some respect for Sadiq Khan. He has on several occasions taken Trump down on tweets. I have no respect for Trump at all, and would happily join in on the vilification of the individual. As I’m not from the US, there is no obligation for me to respect an office of President, but I do. I’d call him Mr President if I met him. However, that cannot be used as a barrier to defend Trump against all the vitriol and opprobrium he deserves. He’s an idiot. A large inflatable baby is a perfect descriptor for him.

By the way, these ARE protestors, not “so-called” ones. Puerile? I’d say more satirical - and far from embarrassing. It’s very funny!

Also, the strength (economically or militarily) of the US is irrelevant to whether or not its leader is a cretin, or should be called out as one. If I insult Trump, I’m not insulting the country. If an individual takes offence at that, they need to grow a thicker skin. In order to create a level playing field, all are welcome to vilify the UK’s leadership! I’ll join in :-)
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Fred in Skirts wrote:
MAAShat1.png
:hide: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :hide:
Hmm. A Democrat might argue that the incumbent team have done that already - and many might open that up to politicians in general...,

What would Trump’s be? “Make America Grope again”? ;-)
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

Trumpianity - a great word :-)

I will give you an example of what I think describes Trumpianity. Jeff Sessions using Romans 13 to justify separation of parent and child in immigration cases,yet not quoting from various other sources in the Bible that cover behaviour towards immigrants, refugees and those in need of help.

It seems to me that Trump is a Christian of convenience. Prior to taking office there was little evidence of church attendance or knowledge of the Good Book (2 Corinthians, anybody?). He is a thrice married, accused adulterer, proven liar - yet the religious right seem more than willing to forgive him his trespasses. Some even go as far as to say that Trump has been sent by God to do good deeds on earth (QAnon conspiracy theorists and Mike Pompeo). Trumpianity indeed!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

dillon wrote:In N.C., the most powerful politician is Gerry Mander. For Congress, the total number of votes cast for Democrats exceeded the total number of votes cast for Republicans by about 11%, yet ten of thirteen NC Congressional Representatives are Republicans. ‘Splain that...without blaming Hillary and Obama, please.
So that's where our old Massachusetts boy Elbridge eventually landed. He's been a busy dude! Or at least his spirit lives on.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

To the MAAShat post, I strongly suspect that's a bit of artful Photoshop work. And, in any event, that's already come to pass thanks to the New Order: we're already there.

Sanders and Warren are in the "race" as comic relief. They will never be allowed close to the levers of power -- especially if they really believe in their rhetoric.

The above having being said, even if the unthinkable happened and the US got a president Hell-bent on restoring the Republic he would be thwarted at every turn in congress in a a "bi-partisan showing" as the oligarchs' minions stop everything to overthrow them, and in lieu of that the Supreme Court. Take a look at what happened to Bill Clinton when he tried to take on the disgraceful state of health care in the country. Is congress capable of coming up with a 2/3rds majority for something important to the Koch boys? You bet they are. The only place where a simple majority cannot be reached is on stuff that's important to the general public -- and that's where the "gridlock" is, not on the continuation of wealth-transfer to the rich or the stoppage of decay in the USA. Congress may not all be "on the take", but I'd guess that a good 73 or 74 percent are (that 2/3rds majority plus a safety-margin) -- and note that this cuts across "party lines". We have one political party in the US now.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Ray wrote:What would Trump’s [hat] be? “Make America Grope again”? ;-)
{giggle} It already does. 99.99% of the US population is groping about in the dark desperately trying to make ends meet an provide for themselves and their families.

I still chuckle about the original parody of MAGA: "Make America Grate Again: Ban pre-shredded cheese."

Not to mention that the original is self-parodying in a tragic sort of way implying that the United States had thrown its greatness away -- which, of course it did in a grandiose show of greed and avarice that put profit above humanity, sanity, and national security. Everybody conveniently forgets that the need to make it "great again" was tragedy in and of itself.
trainspotter48
Member Extraordinaire

Post by trainspotter48 »

Carl,
I thought 'Make America Grate Again' was referring to 'Burn More Coal' (and make me bigger profits).
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

trainspotter48 wrote:I thought 'Make America Grate Again' was referring to 'Burn More Coal' (and make me bigger profits).
I've never seen it posed that way, but the use of "grate" in that context does make sense. What I have seen, however, is printed copy of the reference to cheese. (And, yes, fresh-grated cheese is much better than the pre-shredded stuff you buy in a bag.)

Of course the word "grate" can be used successfully in the same context for other meanings as well - such as the USA "grating" on the rest of the world with its inane behaviours. I like the playful use with two verbs in the sentence; that gives it a bit more "pop". Of course "grate" as a noun can have a few playful things attached to it as well.

English is so much fun.