Hello

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
Freefrom

Re: Hello

Post by Freefrom »

Sinned wrote:To contact a member click on their name which will take you to another screen. In the Contact area there are two options for email address or PM. Choose the appropriate one and go ahead.
Thank you
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Sinned wrote:To contact a member click on their name which will take you to another screen. In the Contact area there are two options for email address or PM. Choose the appropriate one and go ahead.
For a private message (PM), there is also a PM box to click under the name and avatar.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

If you look to the right of your screen where the writer of the message is you will see two small squares.

One of them has an envelope and the other has a PM in it.

Pressing the envelope will send an E-Mail to the person, Pressing the other will send a Private Message to the person.

Hope this helps.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Fred in Skirts wrote:If you look to the right of your screen where the writer of the message is you will see two small squares.

One of them has an envelope and the other has a PM in it.

Pressing the envelope will send an E-Mail to the person, Pressing the other will send a Private Message to the person.

Hope this helps.
Not always true Fred.
The 'squares' you're talking about are, for me, located at the bottom left of each post.
Then again, I have 3 'buttons' labeled Profile, PM & email.

I think this is due to which "Board Style" you have set in your personal preferences.

Just my $0.02 worth :D

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Right you are Uncle Al, it will depend on what screen style you have chosen as to how it looks on your screen. I like the prosilver style myself. But others might like the subsilver or the test silver styles. :D
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Freefrom

Post by Freefrom »

Well well; almost a week without wearing trousers (pants). No one has been offended, the birds still sing, the sky hasn't fallen. Most of all I am, at last, enjoying the freedom to wear what I feel comfortable in. This cafe is a happy place to be, wish I'd found you years ago. :D
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Freefrom wrote:Well well; almost a week without wearing trousers (pants). No one has been offended, the birds still sing, the sky hasn't fallen. Most of all I am, at last, enjoying the freedom to wear what I feel comfortable in. This cafe is a happy place to be, wish I'd found you years ago. :D
Well you have found us now and so the fun begins.. :lol:

You have found what we all have found in the years past. Nobody cares what you wear!! So have fun and enjoy the happiness of wearing skirts......

Fred
Freefrom

Post by Freefrom »

You have found what we all have found in the years past. Nobody cares what you wear!! So have fun and enjoy the happiness of wearing skirts......

Fred
Exactly what I'm beginning to realize after all this time :) . Thanks Fred.
Freefrom

Post by Freefrom »

Moving on…
Following my very first week of emancipation, a man in a skirt, I’ve come to realize that my female SO is not at all so much as happy as I am. Every bit that I have had to question my own ‘acceptable’ masculinity, she has had to do in double short time. Poor Woman! Any advice, how I can help her? :)
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Freefrom wrote:Following my very first week of emancipation, a man in a skirt, I’ve come to realize that my female SO is not at all so much as happy as I am. Every bit that I have had to question my own ‘acceptable’ masculinity, she has had to do in double short time. Poor Woman! Any advice, how I can help her? :)
I had an interesting exchange with a woman on Boston's metro system (the "T") this afternoon as I was on my way home from sailing when I plopped down in a seat across from her and her young son -- she seemed almost enthralled about my red Macabi "sailing skirt" and we had an interesting conversation about the matter. For one, she thought it looked really good and functional, and congratulated me on my chutzpah for being able to pull it off. I responded back with thanks for the observation and commented, "These are one of the best-kept secrets going, they are so comfortable." There was a fast nod of agreement, and then the surprising statement: "I'm surprised more guys don't discover that on their own, and mused for a moment about "masculine fragility" to which my comment was simply, "I don't subscribe to that." and added a sly grin. The comment came back, "Well you rock that, keep going!"

And then it was done as we were at the stop I needed to change trains at.

Make no bones about it, being an unmistakable male and having the guts to wear a skirt gets attention -- some of it quite good and affirming. The girls shouldn't feel the need to "look out after us", we're more than capable of that ourselves. I think that one of the keys is simply, "Don't transmit ambiguous signals." Be yourself and hold your head high. Sure, there will be the occasional laugh and a finger-point or two, but don't let that stuff drag you down.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Freefrom

Post by Freefrom »

"Don't transmit ambiguous signals."
Thank you crfriend It took an hour or two for me to understand that statement. I do now. :)
Freefrom

Post by Freefrom »

My work is in the hospitality industry, my greatest fear was scaring the men, frightening the ladies and confusing the children. None of which has happened in the past 10 days, in fact and apart from the occasional downward glance, no one has said a thing. Perhaps my styling suits me? :D
hillaryskirt

Post by hillaryskirt »

Hi Freefrom. I'm a dude who wears pants. And being a UK boy that means pants but I also wear trousers. But would like to wear skirts but have a 'being brave enough' problem but this site sure is a nice place to come.
Anwyay, welcome!
"The past is never dead. It's not even past." - William Faulkner.
Freefrom

Post by Freefrom »

hillaryskirt wrote:Hi Freefrom. I'm a dude who wears pants. And being a UK boy that means pants but I also wear trousers. But would like to wear skirts but have a 'being brave enough' problem but this site sure is a nice place to come.
Anwyay, welcome!
Hi hillaryskirt and thank you. Yep, 'being brave enough' has been an issue for me too but then again I'm coming to the conclusion that I don't give a stuff about what other folks perceive. On occasion and when appropriate, I feel comfortable wearing trousers, shorts or a skirt. The choice is mine. That choice depends on what I'm doing, who I'm with, where I am or even the weather, all of which is pretty much the same freedom that one half of the worlds population already enjoy. I'm joining in! :D
hillaryskirt

Post by hillaryskirt »

Freefrom wrote: Hi hillaryskirt and thank you. Yep, 'being brave enough' has been an issue for me too but then again I'm coming to the conclusion that I don't give a stuff about what other folks perceive. On occasion and when appropriate, I feel comfortable wearing trousers, shorts or a skirt. The choice is mine. That choice depends on what I'm doing, who I'm with, where I am or even the weather, all of which is pretty much the same freedom that one half of the worlds population already enjoy. I'm joining in! :D
You have a very good attitude. It's all about freedom isn't it? I have a somewhat nuanced situation because I do have gendered aspects to my own situation however I do so like a nice skirt - to wear as a man why not - and my personal favourite is a nice Navy blue A line midi skirt. I do like it to be traditionally tailored and well made with a nice satin/nylon lining. And this I'm perfectly capable of wearing with a mans shirt. :D
"The past is never dead. It's not even past." - William Faulkner.