Hello

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
Freefrom

Hello

Post by Freefrom »

Hi, I’d like to introduce myself.
I’m 57, male, heterosexual, always felt good wearing Kilts/Skirts and it seemed natural to ask to join this forum. Thank you for having me.
Lots of questions but reading through your stuff has answered many already. I like practical, comfortable and good looking things to wear. Just come out of wearing favorite clothes around the house for years and into the rest of the world. I’m feeling nervous! :)
Uncle Al

Re: Hello

Post by Uncle Al »

:welcome:
I'm sure you'll find out about anything you want(and somethings you don't want ;) )
Pull up a chair, pour a cup & have a good time :D

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Welcome to the café . I didn't put on my first skirt until I was 70 so you are way ahead of the game. Take your time do what is comfortable.

The café is a great help. We have our times, but it has helped me a lot and given me a lot of confidence :welcome:
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

Welcome.
Everybody feels nervous when it is the first trip outside the house in a kilt or skirt. Denim is the easiest material to start with. And going to a spot where nobody knows you is also a good start. You have to built up confidence and you get it just by going out skirted.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Welcome to the Cafe,
It will get easier the longer you do it. I have been skirted for about 4 years and find wearing a skirt to be the best thing I have ever done in the line wearing clothes. It has been a great trip these last 4 or so years. So enjoy it!!! :D
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Freefrom

Post by Freefrom »

Thank you all for your kind replies.
It was a couple of weeks ago that my wife and I decided, on an impulse, to walk a local beauty spot one fine spring evening. I decided, blow it, I'm going to wear my very best fitting Kilt; out and about in the sunshine. Boy oh boy I really enjoyed it. FREEDOM. On the way home in her open top classic sports car (she's a self confessed petrol head) we stopped by a fine restaurant and shared a fantastic meal, no one looked twice. Bliss.
That was the day I realized, blow it, forget my antiquated English dress code. Clothe myself to enjoy.
Still not sure sure about popping down to the corner shop on a Thursday morning in my denim mini for the newspaper.... One step at a time. :)
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

The secret is to feel comfortable in your kilts or skirts. Traditional kilts are most of the time no problem. Utilikilts and the likes go a step further. Denim skirts with a length of shorts is the next logical step. Along this route you can feel what is right for you and your surroundings. And a supporting companion is a big plus. You can ask for second opinions and build up confidence in your style.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

57 years old as well, I would recommend knee length denim, like a cargo skirt. They seem to be invisible, I get far more looks and comments in a kilt, although normally just questions, mostly about the tartan!
What I like about a trad. kilt is that they make me feel special, then the weight, the pleats, the lack of pockets, all go to make me want to stick a skirt on instead.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Hello and welcome, Freefrom!
Freefrom wrote:Still not sure sure about popping down to the corner shop on a Thursday morning in my denim mini for the newspaper.... One step at a time. :)

You just have to gather your courage in both hands and step over your threshold. It's not easy the first time, you feel a thousand eyes are on you. But they aren't. And the second time it's easier. After a while it's second nature.

Tip: the first time, wait until after all the teenagers have gone to school. They are the most likely people to make remarks.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Freefrom

Post by Freefrom »

Thanks beachlion and Big and Bashful; some sound advice.
I spent all my indoor time last winter wearing my various skirted cloths, it was getting tiresome changing into trousers each time I stepped out the door! I have spent the last three days almost entirely skirted, indoors, outdoors and at work. The next door neighbour and my daughter have both complimented me, Mrs Freefrom (of 30 + years) is a tad bemused yet very helpful; in all its guises the skirt feels to be a comfortable, natural garment to wear.
I am learning from these pages and especially from my wife that there are occasions where it it appropriate to wear trousers or a skirt (in her case trousers, a skirt or a dress) and there are occasions when it is not. Places, people, situations, travel and a host of other things all come into the equation, I should be mindful to wear my kilts and skirts with respect for others as well as myself. There is more than a little delicate social symbolism at play here, just because I like it doesn't mean everyone else must too. :)
Freefrom

Post by Freefrom »

skirtyscot wrote:Hello and welcome, Freefrom!

You just have to gather your courage in both hands and step over your threshold. It's not easy the first time, you feel a thousand eyes are on you. But they aren't. And the second time it's easier. After a while it's second nature.

Tip: the first time, wait until after all the teenagers have gone to school. They are the most likely people to make remarks.
Thanks skirtyscot.

Much appreciated.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

freefrom, I used to have a dread about popping out to my local newsagent until one early Sunday morning I just decided to do it. Nae problem and afterwards I wondered just what I was scared about.

BTW we have a few members in your area. Contact them, meet them. You may generate that bit more courage.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Freefrom

Post by Freefrom »

Sinned wrote:freefrom, I used to have a dread about popping out to my local newsagent until one early Sunday morning I just decided to do it. Nae problem and afterwards I wondered just what I was scared about.

BTW we have a few members in your area. Contact them, meet them. You may generate that bit more courage.
Thank you Sinned.
In the fullness of time I'm certain I will. Right at the mo I'm still getting to grips with myself as a man, who prefers to wear skirts Which are conventionally perceived to be feminine clothing. Finding and speaking up here has already been the greatest therapy.

BTW. I'm not sure how to contact other members anyway.Perhaps someone can advise?
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

To contact a member click on their name which will take you to another screen. In the Contact area there are two options for email address or PM. Choose the appropriate one and go ahead.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Chirp
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Chirp »

Hello and welcome, I'm same way I look for practical, comfortable
No one mess's with a big guy in kilt