Out and About -- In the World at Large

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by STEVIE »

…….and I intend to exorcise the Trouser Demons all over again today.
They may even get a real dressing down for a change.
Thanks for the good wishes guys.
Steve.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

We spent half the day in Santa Fe, then drove to Durango CO. Mostly strolling streets and shops in a khaki stretch outdoor skirt by Merrill. Black “bendymon” tee shirt by Betabrand, Chaco sandals. Probably keep the same outfit tomorrow when we go to Mesa Verde.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

A fine day at Mesa Verde, skirted, with a bit of hiking. Only encountered negativity at a Durango supermarket early this morning...laughter among employees. I felt it directed at me, but did not respond, although I wish I had.
mskirt

Post by mskirt »

dillon wrote:A fine day at Mesa Verde, skirted, with a bit of hiking. Only encountered negativity at a Durango supermarket early this morning...laughter among employees. I felt it directed at me, but did not respond, although I wish I had.

Dillon, sounds like such a fun trip. Santa Fe is the first place I ventured out in a skirt. Soo nervous! We have been back several times now all
with me in different skirts. Congrats on your sons graduation, I got one done tomorrow in Denver.
andrewsh

Post by andrewsh »

We went to Bucharest in Romania last week, where I went wearing this black skirt. When we arrived, the weather wasn’t very good, it was grey, but not cold, so I went out skirted. I figured Romania is apparently still a very conservative country having noticed a couple of things about how people around me behaved, but what I didn’t expect was to see a young girl who, when she saw me, looked frightened and started repeatedly crossing herself (I think five or six times), as if I was just a dæmonic illusion from hell. Apparently, she expected that as the result of her actions I would disappear in a puff of smoke; how pity I didn’t :D

I remained in trousers for much of the rest of the journey, part because of the weather (it was raining or cold or both most of the time), going back to wearing the skirt on the last day only, when it was sunny and warm (fsck them, I am deciding what to wear; don’t like it? look away!).

P.S. Bucharest is highly recommended to visit. Despite some brutalist heritage left by the Ceaușescu regime and the major earthquake they had in the middle of the last century, it still preserved a lot of its beauty, some of it well hidden. Don’t be afraid of walking out of the historic centre, it’s mostly safe and is worth it. And also don’t be afraid of going to restaurants where they don’t speak English: Romanian is close enough to other Romance languages so that some things are easy to figure out, especially with Google Translate in your pocket, and a lot of hidden gems are hidden in the Romanian-only places (e.g. a very cheap weekday lunch menu in one of the most fancy places in the city centre, Caru’ cu bere, is not translated to English, so unless you asked about it or translated the Romanian text, you’d never know).
andrewsh

Post by andrewsh »

Just a few seconds ago, at a café, I went to pay for my coffee, and a new visitor came in and asked me to make them a cappuccino. I was confused, as was she upon seeing my face, but it was fun :D Apparently, she thought I was wearing a waiter’s apron, not a skirt :)
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

I'm just back from trip into town using a bus for the first time and a substantial walk too.
Collected a prescription and had a most acceptable lunch too.
The weather was most conducive to skirt and no tights. Sunny with a gentle breeze to riffle the pleats.
Only one detractor, a curmudgeon who assumed he could remark unchallenged, quite amusing really.
Equanimity remains intact.
Steve.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

mskirt wrote:
dillon wrote:A fine day at Mesa Verde, skirted, with a bit of hiking. Only encountered negativity at a Durango supermarket early this morning...laughter among employees. I felt it directed at me, but did not respond, although I wish I had.

Dillon, sounds like such a fun trip. Santa Fe is the first place I ventured out in a skirt. Soo nervous! We have been back several times now all
with me in different skirts. Congrats on your sons graduation, I got one done tomorrow in Denver.
I came down with a serious head cold and sore throat in Durango and am feeling pretty crappy today. We are in Colorado Springs at present, then off to Denver tomorrow and flying home Monday. Congrats on your kid graduating as well. Even feeing sick, I love Durango. But there is something patently evil about snow falling in the middle of May. :shock: We went back to Mesa Verde in the morning and drove through some substantial snow showers, then through snow and sleet on Wolf Pass, at 10,000 ft, on the way here. The temperature was 30F there at four in the afternoon. By contrast, today’s forecast high for my corner of N.C. is 93F.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Well, I had to vote (I wanted to anyway) last Saturday. I was busy with renovation work and couldn't be bothered changing skirts, so just went down to the community hall in my 13" denim mini. It was quite busy and there were a couple of people handing out leaflets to which I politely replied that I was well informed already. The most conservative one struck up a conversation as I was walking in and as he was sitting, I moved to be in front of him so he did not have to turn his neck. He has seen me in a skirt on a few occasions but always has treated my unconventional attire as absolutely normal. I then walked into the hall and was cheerfully greeted by a number of officials sitting at a long table facing me as I walked towards them. The booths were set at a lower height than normal, but had a chair which I used whilst filling in the form, rather than bending forwards for a long time with my back to one and all.
It was a very positive experience for a mature fellow getting around in a 13" mini. Sadly the subsequent election results were not so positive for me, but let's not talk about that.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

denimini wrote:Well, I had to vote (I wanted to anyway) last Saturday.
Is voting still mandatory in Oz? Part of me wishes it was here in the USA.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

dillon wrote:I love Durango. But there is something patently evil about snow falling in the middle of May. We went back to Mesa Verde in the morning and drove through some substantial snow showers, then through snow and sleet on Wolf Pass, at 10,000 ft, on the way here. The temperature was 30F there at four in the afternoon.
Welp... I guess I can scratch Colorado off the list if possible places to reside! :lol:

Snow in May??? It outta be illegal I tells ya!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote:Welp... I guess I can scratch Colorado off the list if possible places to reside! :lol:

It depends upon where you are. Whilst Colorado is regarded as a mountainous state thanks to the Rocky Mountains and the Front Range, the eastern 2/3s of it is on the plains -- albeit moderately high plains -- and this includes all of Denver.

I've been in Denver in January -- back in the 1990s before Climate Change really started warping patterns -- and it snowed a few times, but it lasted all of a few hours and by the next day was almost guaranteed to be gone with temperatures that allowed me to go outside in shirt-sleeves or a thin jacket. When I went out there last October for the NOVA anniversary convention/bash I was worried about snow, as the news was full of dire comments from a few days before my arrival, but when I get there it was pleasant and none of the stuff was to be seen on the ground save in the Front Range to the west and the Rockies beyond that.

Get up into the mountains, though, and you can have quite a tough time with it.

Colorado is a land of such contrast and a place of beauty, and every time I've been there has been delightful. The sad thing is that it's success seems to be spoiling it; there is much "urban sprawl" now, and what was farm- and pasture-land when I was there in the '90s and early 2000s is now heavily built up and unrecognisable from earlier memories. It was familiar and alien at a stroke.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

moonshadow wrote:Welp... I guess I can scratch Colorado off the list if possible places to reside! :lol:
Moon, Up until this past December my daughter lived in the outskirts of Denver. When I would go out there during the Christmas holidays I seldom carried more than a medium weight jacket. I usually stayed until the 7th or 8th of January and during that time I was skirted and out and about the area. I never really got cold or wanted a heavier jacket or coat. In fact the last time I was in Denver it colder by 15 degrees in Williston SC. But Carl is right about the place becoming over run by developments. Areas around where she lived were green and lots of open space when I first started going out there and now those spaces are full of condo's and single housing developments.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
mskirt

Post by mskirt »

Yeah, the weather can be very unpredictable here. I’ve lived in Colorado for about 20 years now. The worst of the unpredictable weather comes in April and May. I’ve seen FEET of snow in May a few times. You just learn to adapt to a day or two inside.
On the plus side, no humidity, no mosquitoes, few bugs, where we live, temp rarely goes over 90 degrees (I’m at 7200 feet), 330 sunny days a year. And probably the best, is a genuinely liberal attitude of live and let live that prevails. I can wear a skirt at the mall, downtown, just about anywhere without hardly a commit.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

In a Denver hotel at the moment still doing combat with an ugly head cold...and losing. I definitely didn’t bring warm enough clothing for Colorado. The last time I was as in CO was 2015, in June, and Durango and Cortez were both rather toasty. But like the freakiness of climate all over, they had a hard snowy winter here, and one that seems to plan on wearing out its welcome. When we drove over the high passes to Silverton, snow was still up to the eaves of the National Forest rest area. They had 20 to 30 feet over the winter. But it’s all fine. I’ll plan better next time. And it’s undoubtedly one of the most amazing and beautiful places on Earth.

One observation in Old Colorado City, next to a restaurant where we had brunch, was a business called “Blunt Mortuary.” And right across the street was a weed shop! Ominous...