Skirts’ Demise?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Skirts’ Demise?

Post by Caultron »

mishawakaskirt wrote:...if some one asks about it, you can say your a visionary clothing designer...
I like telling 'em it's an emerging microtrend.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

I thought this story might fit this thread.
I don't use Facebook, but a friend was telling me that a lady who attended the river rally felt out of place as she thought she was the only person there wearing a skirt. She said that she felt a lot better when she saw Anthony (me) there in his skirt.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

denimini wrote:I thought this story might fit this thread.
I don't use Facebook, but a friend was telling me that a lady who attended the river rally felt out of place as she thought she was the only person there wearing a skirt. She said that she felt a lot better when she saw Anthony (me) there in his skirt.
That, Sir, is an absolute hoot! 'Tis a pity she didn't approach and engage you in conversation.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

My wife prefers skirts to pants or shorts. She is very attractive in anything, and has the legs for skirts.

I prefer to shop for skirts in person when I can find them. I try them on to see how they fit. There is no consistency in size, even from the same brand. I have some where I have been lucky enough to order online and have skirts that fit. I have had several skirts made by a seamstress. It is rarely a good fit if they are made from a pattern designed for a female. I have finally found a seamstress who I gave her one of my favorite skirts as a pattern. I prefer light weight stretch fabric with an elastic waist. Other than skorts I usually have them shortened to above the knee. I remove the inner shorts from skorts.

I wear skirts every day around the house, and for hiking and photography. I also wear them in public and have never had a problem. My wife likes them on me and is very encouraging.

There are sales associates in several stores who know both of us and know exactly what I am looking for. There is a golf and tennis store near us who have a good selection of golf skorts. I try them on while looking for more. Women usually don't notice, pay attention, or appreciate the look and comment positively.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

kilty wrote:Ebay has plenty of skirts, so does ASOS and Boohoo.com :wink:
Yep. Online is the place to find what you seek. It requires a bit of patience but deferred gratification is a good exercise for all. PayPal and eBay is the easiest shopping you’ll ever do. Just forget ANYTHING that ships from China. They will rip you off.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

dillon wrote:
Yep. Online is the place to find what you seek. It requires a bit of patience but deferred gratification is a good exercise for all. PayPal and eBay is the easiest shopping you’ll ever do. Just forget ANYTHING that ships from China. They will rip you off.
xxx

Just forget ANYTHING that ships from China. They will rip you off

It is not so much that they will rip you off it is the SIZING issue followed by the WAITING period for shipment and receipt
only to find out the skirt does not fit right and returning it is going to cost more than the item forcing you to almost keep it and
gift it to the thrift shop ! Have you ever noticed the postage paid on the package you receive from Asian - impossible by USA
standards - return postage is almost 10-15 times more costly and egad the customs paperwork.
With eBay contact the seller and they can send out a replacement and still make a profit because of the labor situation in the home country.
Postage - see those semi-truck size containers on ships rail cars and in intermodal freight yards -
It is pennies on dollar for the seller to ship a full volume container - and there are from 3000 + containers on a container ship -
It is not you that is getting ripped off - someone in the shipping industry is and/or someone is subsidizing a loss for the business.

Comment - make sure your measurements and those of the seller are using the same measure -
Beware that the Asian XXL is probably equal to a USA medium (M)
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

r.m.anderson wrote:
dillon wrote:
xxx

It is not so much that they will rip you off it is the SIZING issue followed by the WAITING period for shipment and receipt
only to find out the skirt does not fit right and returning it is going to cost more than the item forcing you to almost keep it and
gift it to the thrift shop ! Have you ever noticed the postage paid on the package you receive from Asian - impossible by USA
standards - return postage is almost 10-15 times more costly and egad the customs paperwork.
With eBay contact the seller and they can send out a replacement and still make a profit because of the labor situation in the home country.
Postage - see those semi-truck size containers on ships rail cars and in intermodal freight yards -
It is pennies on dollar for the seller to ship a full volume container - and there are from 3000 + containers on a container ship -
It is not you that is getting ripped off - someone in the shipping industry is and/or someone is subsidizing a loss for the business.

Comment - make sure your measurements and those of the seller are using the same measure -
As I’ve said before, if Trump wants to screw China, make all textile imports to the US meet a standard sizing regulation. If it fails, it goes back to China at the manufacturer’s expense. Then require Chinese importers to post a bond that covers their crooked marketing. And if it is sold through Amazon, make Jeff Bezos responsible for the accuracy of sizing. He makes a profit, after all.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Happy-N-Skirts wrote:There are sales associates in several stores who know both of us and know exactly what I am looking for. There is a golf and tennis store near us who have a good selection of golf skorts. I try them on while looking for more. Women usually don't notice, pay attention, or appreciate the look and comment positively.
Its great that your wife is accepting of your skirts.

I have my son First for my birthday he bought me a 511 tactical Kilt I wore that all over including to a Mets baseball game.

This year he bought me a black Calloway golf skort I am just waiting for it to get a little warmer.
Last edited by crfriend on Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed quoting.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

oldsalt1 wrote:
Happy-N-Skirts wrote:There are sales associates in several stores who know both of us and know exactly what I am looking for. There is a golf and tennis store near us who have a good selection of golf skorts. I try them on while looking for more. Women usually don't notice, pay attention, or appreciate the look and comment positively.
Its great that your wife is accepting of your skirts.

I have my son First for my birthday he bought me a 511 tactical Kilt I wore that all over including to a Mets baseball game.

This year he bought me a black Calloway golf skort I am just waiting for it to get a little warmer.

I long for that kind of acceptance from my wife or any other family members for that matter.

Getting any skirt as a gift or hand me down is great acceptance.

Demise of the skirt?
It seems like we are sort of headed that way.

I don't go to many department stores to Window shop, the few I have been past appear to have little or no selection. Wal Mart had one rack with three different designed skirts on it and that was it.

And good Will's selection has been less than ideal lately.

As a whole women's fashion in the northern Indiana region has just in short has gotten rather ugly.

I have several degrees of what I like.

1 what I actually buy and wear
2 what I like and wish I could buy and wear
3 I I would wear if no one cares or was looking
4 what I wouldn't be caught dead in
5 what no one should wear.

Of late most of what the stores have are in the 4 and 5 categories.

There used to be alot of cute clothes, I see less and less every season. Thanks
Women s clothing is getting drab :(

Skirts and femininity both and masculinity all three are in danger of going extinct.

Women don't want to be feminine nowadays.
And men are considered "toxic" with the whole toxic masculinity thing.

While I don't agree with the extreme s left or right.
There needs to be a moderate balance.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

r.m.anderson wrote:Have you ever noticed the postage paid on the package you receive from Asian - impossible by USA standards - return postage is almost 10-15 times more costly and egad the customs paperwork.
The someone subsidizing these shipments is the US Postal Service (USPS). They have agreements with many countries around the world (including China) to deliver mail for free once it is delivered to them from whatever country's Postal Service. In return they do the same with letters and packages from the US. For some countries (for example, Canada) this makes sense, and massively reduces headaches for everyone involved in sending stuff back and forth. But for a country like China, this is very one sided and costs the USPS massive amounts of money. There was some talk of ending this deal with China under the current administration, I'm not sure if anything happened.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

You have to hope not. Is Trump determined to tear up every single international agreement he can find?
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

skirtyscot wrote:Is Trump determined to tear up every single international agreement he can find?
That's part of the problem -- he's random. Nobody knows what he's going to do next. Getting into a trade war with China is one that he -- that means the US citizenry -- is going to lose. 30 years ago that might not have been the case, but we've since "offshored" our own subsistence-level manufacturing to the point where the US is completely dependent on China for the basics; we're done for if this gets out of control.

Back to the point at hand, and in a more general sense, I got to thinking earlier today about the notion of how drab things are getting in just about everything around us. Clothing seems to mostly be a vast sea of denim, architecture has been dumbed down to the point of being abjectly boring, and cars all look precisely the same. About the only area that seems to be still alive is civil engineering, mainly around bridge design, and some of the things arising from that in recent years have been breathtaking. But, mostly, it's more of the same old dreck. The grandeur of nature still exists, but is largely inaccessible now to the common man in the USA by virtue that many must work insane hours to make ends meet, vacation time is getting hard to come by, and even if that can be had travel can be burdensome. Why have we done this to ourselves? Why have we allowed it to be done to us?
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

moonshadow wrote:Ahhh... one advantage of living in the "Apostolic belt"... plenty of skirts and dresses in virtually every store... except walmart. Walmart doesn't have much. A few, but not much. Virtually every thrift shop is overflowing with them. Dress Barn, Ross, Burkes Outlet, Cato, etc etc seem to have at least a rack of skirts of various styles, not to mention virtually any hippie or boho shop.

I haven't bought a skirt online in ages. 90% of what I have came from GoodWill, and they always seem to have at least a 30-50 foot rack of skirts, and another 30 feet or so of dresses.

Although my size is probably the most common (medium, or size 10-14 depending on manufacturer) At least a third of the skirts seem to fall in this range. Midi's and knee length are most common in the GoodWills around here. A few floor sweepers, and maybe a handful of minis. The minis obviously range in the smaller sizes.

The dresses come in all types of configurations. I've seen prairie dresses, prom dresses, house dresses, sun dresses, a few wedding dresses, jumpers, etc etc....

If anyone is ever passing through, there are GoodWills dotting towns along the interstate down here, Chilhowie, Abingdon Wytheville, Bristol TN, so on and so forth. You'll find your honey hole! :D
Apostolic: The abandonment of cognition in favor of infused belief. I have sinned,ye Gods of Censorship... Forgive me.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

r.m.anderson wrote:
dillon wrote:
xxx

Exactly. Perhaps I am too country or too honest to discern the difference.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

As I have said before, if “ our president” wanted to penalize China for trade, he should make all imported garments comply with a US standard sizing.