OUT IN PUBLIC

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

OUT IN PUBLIC

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

We did some traveling over the weekend for birthdays and Mother's Day. We visited our son and his family We stayed in a nearby hotel because they already have a housefull with four kids. The following day we visited my 94 year old mother who lived about two more hours away. I enjoy wearing skirts while driving. Much more comfortable, cool, and the absence of an inseam tight against my crotch. I like skirts to be right above the knees.

Each time we stopped for a "winkie tink," fill up with "Tesla" fuel, or in a restaurant, store, or hotel I was wearing a skirt. I don't wear skirts around family members, therefore I need to change in to or out of something more comfortable. I roll up my skirt or shorts and carry them into a store and change in the restroom.

As soon as I put on a skirt I felt a sense of relief with how comfortable I was. No one noticed, stared, gawked, pointed, or commented about what I was wearing.
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Re: OUT IN PUBLIC

Post by greenboots »

I’ve often resorted to the public toilets for a quick change when approaching a no-skirt zone. It sucks! However, with opposition at home I’m not about to trigger an argument by appearing to known people in a skirt.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

With a skirt, you can change in a parking lot, or really anywhere, without flashing anyone. Pull the shorts/pants on under the skirt, then take the skirt off. Reverse the process to change into a skirt. Just saying, it's one of those extra benefits of wearing a skirt.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Dust wrote:With a skirt, you can change in a parking lot, or really anywhere, without flashing anyone. Pull the shorts/pants on under the skirt, then take the skirt off. Reverse the process to change into a skirt. Just saying, it's one of those extra benefits of wearing a skirt.
Indeed, I've changed back and forth right in the driver seat of my car. (NOT while driving of course, always parked safely in a parking lot.) There is a little pull off right outside of Blue Ridge VA where I often change prior to visiting with Dad. Though if I'm just visiting family and coming straight home I'm normally just wear pants all the way [0]. If I'm planning on doing a little sight seeing along the way then I'll probably wear a skirt and change out.

[0] I'm working on taking Dad to a doctors appointment later in June that he's worried about. Since it will be nothing but travel and "business" (no leisure) I'll probably just wear pants the whole time in the interest of saving time.

Having to go through this ridiculous ritual used to irritate me on principle, but then I just lowered the bar considerably on what I expected from human open-mindedness and intellect and it has greatly helped me to accept the ignorance on the great wild.

I don't wear skirts in certain company for the same reason I wouldn't don a boogie man costume in a Kindergarten class. They're ignorant as to what's going on and they don't know any better....

... but at least kindergartners can learn, no shame in being temporarily ignorant. Adults can be just plain stupid.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

I would think that a fair portion of us have gone through this process and I am no exception.
In my case, those occasions did nothing for my mental health, in particular my anxiety levels.
My memory of the first skirted encounters are well etched in my memory and are not particularly pleasant either.
However, they were the beginning of the liberation too. I discovered that the secrecy was essentially destructive to me and I chose to exercise my Gods given freedom.
Like Moon, I will wear skirts or trousers as the occasion demands and mainly on my own terms.
I am not advocating anything to anyone else here but that was my path.
Yours will be yours.
Steve.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Happy-N-Skirts wrote: As soon as I put on a skirt I felt a sense of relief with how comfortable I was. No one noticed, stared, gawked, pointed, or commented about what I was wearing.
That is a great situation to get to; finding the joy of wearing skirts AND ..... realising you can do it in public and no-one really cares.
moonshadow wrote:Having to go through this ridiculous ritual used to irritate me on principle, but then I just lowered the bar considerably on what I expected from human open-mindedness and intellect and it has greatly helped me to accept the ignorance on the great wild.
That is another good stage to reach; feeling that you don't have to prove a point anymore. I had to look at a job of repairing a stone wall at the Golf Club and knowing that they had some sort of dress code, I wore pants.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

I have gotten to the point of getting up in the morning and getting dressed. The fact that I put on a skirt or dress with out thinking about it means I fully regard skirts and dresses as the normal form of dress for me. :D

When I go out and about the town shopping or going to a restaurant or movie theater I no longer worry about what are people going to say or do. It is just normal every day doings. :D

I do not even notice stares or laughter that may be going on in the back ground, I am over all of that. :)

I am so happy that I don't have anyone (read that wife or significant other or family members) that try to make me not wear what I want. All of them are just fine with it. :D
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Chirp
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Chirp »

I mostly were kilts out in public, But I will wear skirt to get gas or go hiking as there cheaper and lighter to wear then my Kilts.
No one mess's with a big guy in kilt
Bamaskirting
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bamaskirting »

It's always fun to wear skirts! I usually just wear them for errands and shopping. And Starbucks! I know the feeling of car changing too!
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Fortunate to be in a position now of usually leaving home skirted and returning the same way, i.e. car-changing rarely called for. But the nice thing about a skirt is that it can be pulled over trousers, which can then be removed discreetly, sans exposure, and stepped out of.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

I do not worry what others think because I am happy with my skirt wearing. I go out in public all of the time in my skirts and dresses. Today I had to take the trash to the compactor and then get groceries. And I did it in a skirt and a shirt from the other side of the store.

The skirt was a black knee length "A" line and the shirt was denim short sleeve button up with collar.

Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Skaterswaltz

Post by Skaterswaltz »

I went for a long walk yesterday in a short skirt I picked off the rack for $1.00. It has small pockets so no need for any bag. It’s cotton, and man, it was a bit on the warm side so the freedom was a much appreciated as it was tremendous.
I plan on going back to the store in it today to show the ladies how good it looks. I guess summer is the season to be jolly.