If it requires a uniform....

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

If it requires a uniform....

Post by moonshadow »

Was watching some George Carlin on YouTube yesterday and checked out his website. At the top of the screen there is a quote box that cycles with each reload. Well on that day it loaded the following quote attributed to Mr. Carlin:

"If it requires a uniform, it's a worthless endeavor."

It brought a smile to my face.

Though let me say, I'm not really "anti-uniform" all the way. Some uniforms are appropriate. Police departments come to mind, as does the military. And though I think most people generally do not cherish the idea of war, I can only imagine our society if not for a well disciplined military. For all our government's failings, I realize there are quite a few competing nations that would love to take us down a notch.

The uniform I wear at work doesn't bother me. I'd not wear a skirt on that job even if they let me. It's just not safe nor really practical. I have found myself a little too close to open pilot lights from time to time, and I've had my share of gas burner backfires, not to mention the occasional electrical dead short that always puts on a good display for onlookers. Such incidents would send a polyester skirt up in flames quick fast in and in a hurry!

I've even had some close calls wearing a skirt while tending a backyard fire in the pit, and one while grilling burgers.

Still yet, I'm happy to see certain retailers relax their uniform policy a bit. Sometimes I see old photographs online of fast food joints and other retail establishments from the 50's-80's, and I have to say, some of the uniforms looked ridiculous.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Re: If it requires a uniform....

Post by Fred in Skirts »

moonshadow wrote:Was watching some George Carlin on YouTube yesterday and checked out his website. At the top of the screen there is a quote box that cycles with each reload. Well on that day it loaded the following quote attributed to Mr. Carlin:
It brought a smile to my face.
----[edited]-------
Sometimes I see old photographs online of fast food joints and other retail establishments from the 50's-80's, and I have to say, some of the uniforms looked ridiculous.
I have always enjoyed the comedy of Mr. Carlin. He could be nice and clean or as bawdy as his audience wanted him to be. But he always was able to keep it on topic whether it was political or just anti what ever.

As for the Fat food industry they all need to be ridiculous just so that it will take your mind off of the slop they serve you. One of my favorite Fast Food places WAS Arby's the food was always good and well prepared but since they have become part of one of the conglomerates the quality has now dropped to that of garbage. I have stopped eating at them as I can not stand the lousy food.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

moonshadow wrote: I've even had some close calls wearing a skirt while tending a backyard fire in the pit, and one while grilling burgers.
Once a month I work on a canal restoration project which often involves a bonfire - it is the only time I ever wear trousers.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ralph »

moonshadow wrote:attributed to Mr. Carlin:
Disclaimer: I'm not arguing with you, my lunar friend, but with Mr. Carlin (or whatever anonymous troll wrote that)

Eh, considering how often we are marginalized or mischaracterized by the general population for the things we wear, I'm not about to criticize someone for whatever they have to wear to do their job.

Plus, uniforms are most closely associated with the service industry, and we'd be laughing a lot less if we didn't have those fine folks among us. In my case, wearing a uniform paid the bills for a couple of decades until I graduated (?) to a job where I swapped the uniform-with-my-name-on-it to the uniform that is a white shirt and tie.

And every time I get impatient waiting for that package that's guaranteed delivery by the end of the day, I can't very well criticize the employees, or their employer, for a job that's a worthless endeavor.

I suspect Carlin didn't actually say that. As Yogi Berra said on quotes misattributed to him, "I didn't say half the things I said." That sounds more like the work of some elitist pundit who never flipped a burger for minimum wage in his or her life, stuffing condescending words into Carlin's mouth to legitimize them.

Sorry, I realize the above sounds a bit angry and defensive, and I suppose it is. I spent the first half of my life on the giving side of smug condescension and the second half on the receiving side, so I have a pretty low tolerance for people who act like I did when I was young and overprivileged -- attitudes like this that marginalize groups of people based on some characteristic over which they have no control.
Ralph!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Yeah I know what you mean Ralph. Whether Carlin actually said that it not, I do not know. Even if he did, I'm sure the quote is taken out of context.

There is nothing wrong with uniforms, they certainly have their place. But it's also nice to put on something unique and special.

A "worthless endeavor". No. I agree with you there. I've been wearing a work uniform all my working days, and it has provided a roof over my head and food on the table. Hardly "worthless".
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Interesting tidbit on Carlin's wikipedia page:
Eventually, Carlin changed his routines and his appearance, growing his hair long, sporting a beard and typically dressing in T-shirts and blue jeans. Carlin hired talent managers – Jeff Wald and Ron De Blasio – to help him change his image, making him look more hip for a younger audience.
Though the getup was casual, one could argue that is could be considered just as much a "uniform" as any other. It was part of his job after all to maintain this image. One has to wonder... how would his routines have differed if he showed up in say.. a skirt?
-Andrea