Boston MFA - Gender Bending Fashion

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
skirtingseattle

Boston MFA - Gender Bending Fashion

Post by skirtingseattle »

Was in Boston visiting family and had the opportunity to visit the “Gender Bending Fashions” exhibit at Boston’s MFA (Museum of Fine Arts). Not a big exhibit, but some interesting tidbits of information like this one:

"1864: St. Louis Ordinance No. 5421 criminalizes "cross-dressing" - one of many such laws in the U.S., some of which remain in place." -- "Whoever shall, in this city, appear in any public place in...a dress not belonging to his or her sex...shall be deemed guilty of misdemeanor."
and
"1971: For the British cover for The Man Who Sold the World, David Bowie wears a Mr. Fish caftan; the image was rejected and changed for the American release."

The exhibit started with women’s advancement in cross-dressing in pants in the 19th and 20th centuries, and also featured men in traditional women’s attire as pushed by a number of fashion leaders. Here are a few photos from the exhibit. I think the only wearable ensemble in the photos is the black and white skirt on the right in the third photo, and the black pleated skill in the middle one.

Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Boston MFA - Gender Bending Fashion

Post by Freedomforall »

I agree about the black and white skirt. I like it a lot and may see if I can make one similar.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

I like the black and white skirt too and would certainly consider it a possibility.
We have inspiration and that is all good.
We should really put the notion of "non-wearable" to bed.
That only cramps our potential which we can well do without. With some creative adaptation there are no limits.
As this is my "year of the dress" the hooded ensemble has tweeked my curiousity.
The only limit is my imagination and the damn budget.
Steve.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

I think the dress on the left in the first picture is also doable sans the superman cape. Interesting display
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

The skirt-over-trousers isn't really gender bending, because it looks silly on both men and women.
Last edited by Grok on Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Grok
Absolutely agree about the skirt over trousers being a bit naff from our perspective but that is most easily solved.
Just lose the things.
Steve.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

The tidbits of history are interesting. I always enjoy learning if the way things were. It makes me thankful to live in the present, and further makes me ponder of what liberties will be opened to us a hundred years from now that we can't possibly fathom today?

I for one am trying to hold on to the notion that the future is bright. It's easy to be depressed about the current state of affairs when we only live in the present. However when opening the spectrum to the past, I believe that today is a good day to be alive!

Anti-crossdressing laws were enforced until very recently, and those sentiments live on through various family and friends denying us our liberty.

Things are getting better.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
skirtingseattle

Post by skirtingseattle »

Moonshadow,

I agree that changes are occuring, and not just in America. My wife and I travelled for 3 months in the Nordic countries, the Baltic countries, and a fair amount of Eastern Europe down to Greece last summer and I was sports kilted 75% of the time. I didn't receive a single negative comment or glare, but quite a number of smiles and pleasant comments.

PS I recommend the exhibit to anyone planning to be in the Boston area. The exhibit runs to the 25th of August. And yes, I wore a cammouflage kilt to the museum.

https://www.mfa.org/exhibitions/gender-bending-fashion

Chris
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

skirtingseattle wrote:Moonshadow,

I agree that changes are occuring, and not just in America. My wife and I travelled for 3 months in the Nordic countries, the Baltic countries, and a fair amount of Eastern Europe down to Greece last summer and I was sports kilted 75% of the time. I didn't receive a single negative comment or glare, but quite a number of smiles and pleasant comments.

PS I recommend the exhibit to anyone planning to be in the Boston area. The exhibit runs to the 25th of August. And yes, I wore a cammouflage kilt to the museum.

https://www.mfa.org/exhibitions/gender-bending-fashion

Chris
I visited Seattle this past Christmas. It was quite refreshing to visit a place and receive so many compliments while wearing a skirt. I was born here and have lived here all my life, however, I long to move elsewhere. It seems so backwards in Tennessee. I guess the last statement was a bit of an unfair generalization. There are what I call pockets and tidbits of open minded people here and there. It just seemed more prevalent in Seattle.