A day at the VA clinic.....

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: A day at the VA clinic.....

Post by Sinned »

Oh, as to changing that's easy. I wore my skirt inside the top part of my trousers and in a quiet spot took my trousers off, the skirt moving naturally down covering the activity. The reverse when I got to work was to done the trousers and pull them up inside my skirt, do up the waist, zip and belt and then down with the skirt. I only really had to find a quiet spot en route.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

weeladdie18 wrote:As we have been talking about Biological Conditions and Psycological Conditions ....I got to a point where I was trying to understand my
need to wear a skirt....My G.P. arranged a consultation with the local Geneo Unary Clinic ( you all know what I mean ...G.U.M. Clinic.
It was really a series of lectures from consultant Professors and female medical students....A lot of ground was covered but it did not change my
attitude.....the whole thing is a suggestion that we think there is some kind of problem when there is no problem.
Over the years and more recently on this forum I have found that we all just accept the Idea that we wish to wear a skirt and no one really cares
how we project our life style......I have reached a situation where I am confident wearing a skirt, and always wear a skirt unless I think there
is likely to be a problem. Then I either wear a skirt or do not wear a skirt....no one passes comment either way.
The big thing about " The man in a skirt " is that he is just a man who wears a skirt....I no longer see any issues.....I see the skirt as a male garment
for leisure wear.....My Kilt wearing is a more formal and traditional style of dress. I have been lucky in so far as I have worn the Kilt formally
with traditional Kilt wearers for forty years. The problems start when one tries to wear the Kilt , but does not know how to wear the Kilt.
With regard to the question which was asked ....should I wear a skirt for this appointment ? .... my answer is I am retired and I am confident to
wear a skirt if I wish to dress in that style....The choice is yours....based upon your experience of dressing as a " man in a skirt "
Most of our friends would say,.... " just think it through and go for it . You know how to dress for an appointment. If you wish....
Wear a suitable skirt instead of trousers. .... Best of luck." ..........weeladdie.
Very good advice! Formal pencil skirts suffice for me, and clean underwear! Wear something comfortable and easy to pull up if need be. GUM (Genito Urinary Medicine) clinics are used to all sorts of dress, so a skirt is no issue. If youre just "a man in a skirt" and still yourself it's no big deal.

Kilts can be worn wrong, many do not know how to look casual in a kilt, or miss off vitals like the Sporran or even a kilt pin... or worse team it with trainers / sneakers... I sww one guy wear his kilt with Moccasin shoes and white socks... :roll:
hillaryskirt

Post by hillaryskirt »

oldsalt1 wrote:Went into NYC yesterday for my follow up appointment at the VA I wore my denim skirt. going back a couple of years if you were to tell me that I would happily riding on a train and walking around NYC while wearing a skirt , I would tell you that you are crazy

After lunch I went to my appointment. 2 of the doctors that worked on my operation where there. They were very vocal about my skirt. One said that it was great that I would wear what was comfortable.

The lady doctor said that it was much easier to check my legs this was as she was telling me to lift up my skirt

To me it is mind bending when I am standing there and I have a lady even a lady doctor telling me to lift up my skirt

army 1966-1969

Great story - yes that would make me feel brilliant to have that nice reaction from a female doctor. :)
"The past is never dead. It's not even past." - William Faulkner.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Here's one for you . As many of you who have followed my story know, I have been dealing with PTSD.( See earlier parts of this blog) I was finally able to get a printout of my Phsy evaluations as per the Dr's at the VA. My wearing skirts has an extremely Therapeutic calming effect on my nerves. Also my concentrating on wearing skirts act as a diversion to my constant dwelling on bad memories.

I have a meeting with my caseworker tomorrow. The purpose of which is to discuss the benefits of my skirts and to encourage me to continue and actually increase my skirt wearing.

At this point what can I say
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

That's awesome news, Dan, and I'm glad to hear it. PTSD is nasty, nasty stuff and it's good to hear that you've found a way to buck it. This might, someday, be the origin of a research paper on avenues for treatment.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

oldsalt1 wrote:Here's one for you . As many of you who have followed my story know, I have been dealing with PTSD.( See earlier parts of this blog) I was finally able to get a printout of my Phsy evaluations as per the Dr's at the VA. My wearing skirts has an extremely Therapeutic calming effect on my nerves. Also my concentrating on wearing skirts act as a diversion to my constant dwelling on bad memories.

I have a meeting with my caseworker tomorrow. The purpose of which is to discuss the benefits of my skirts and to encourage me to continue and actually increase my skirt wearing.

All the best Dan..I suffered from high blood pressure and total collapse and had a pacemaker fitted to replace a malfunctioning valve in
my neck..
Now I have had a new collapse problem which might be a vertigo and balance problem caused by a malfunction of the elementary canal
in my inner ear....I have had a virus which might be the cause of the problem...
If I am lucky my pacemaker will be replaced when I am 78 years old.

Some of my friends did not live long enough to retire ....I would agree that skirt wearing is a good way to take the stress out of old age.
However we know when we are getting old as we do not talk about our love life ..we only talk about our aches and pains ........Rod
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

All the best, Dan. I too enjoy the calming effect of wearing a skirt. PTSD may be a bit like Clinical Depression, as you probably never get over it, it lurks in the background waiting for an opportunity to show itself and is best controlled rather than eliminated. I've never had PTSD but I have had CD which brought on my Diabetes and then hearing loss.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

oldsalt1 wrote:Here's one for you . As many of you who have followed my story know, I have been dealing with PTSD.( See earlier parts of this blog) I was finally able to get a printout of my Phsy evaluations as per the Dr's at the VA. My wearing skirts has an extremely Therapeutic calming effect on my nerves. Also my concentrating on wearing skirts act as a diversion to my constant dwelling on bad memories.

Best of luck and health for your future, OS.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Had my meeting with my social worker. This was the first time that I had ever gone into a meeting where the main topic was my skirts. She said that she thought it was great that I was able to develop an alternative method for dealing with my problems.

I see her every week for a group session She said she wants to help me in crease my skirt wearing and she wanted to slowly introduce it to the group as a method of distraction to ease stress.

She made 2 major comments the first was that she was a little pissed because I looked better than she did in skirts. We laughed at that. Than she made a comment that had me wondering. Like I said I see her every week. Usually I am wearing jeans and a shirt. She said that I looked better in skirts.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

What better praise than praise from a female case worker. I think wearing skirts as a male to cope with the effects of PTSD is a better option than medication. Even if you need less medication, it is still a win.

I was thinking of a way to explain my skirt wearing to my wife as a way to relax from stress from the past. Would 25 years on the motorbike, every working day for an hour in very dense Dutch traffic count for stressful? ;)

Dan, I'm not making fun of PTSD, I know it is a serious thing. The connection PTSD and skirt wearing strikes me as remarkable. When I was young, I saw the effects on people after the Korean war.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

OS, I am so glad that the VA people have seen how much the effect of wearing a skirt has on your PTSD. It is also heartening that your caseworker thinks that working in wearing a shirt would be good for all of her cases and wants to introduce it to the group.

Since I have gone to 100% wearing of skirts my VA doctors and nurses enjoy seeing me come in and almost always say something nice about what I am wearing, and that just enforces the idea that It is the right thing for me.

I wish you better health and long and happy life,
Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Thanks for the thoughts guys. Beachlion the connection is that the skirt wearing is a diversion . It directs my attention away from the problems
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

The first thing that I would like to say is that I think the VA is one of the last bastions of masculinity. But I find at the same time the level of acceptance, is higher than any place else. I have certain problems and I am at the VA quite often .

I posted 2 photos the first is an outfit that I posted on my blog skirt outfits. I modified it a little wearing a contrasting shirt . I know it is a little short but that's me. I wore this Tuesday for a session with my social worker . I had to walk a good distance from where I parked . into the building passed the reception area and back to her office. I have to admit I got quite a few looks.

She was very receptive. she said she thought I looked great and if wearing a skirt helps me relax . I should wear them all the time.

The second photo is what I plan to wear next week. Aside from this meeting I see the social worker in group setting on a weekly basis but at least twice a year I have to meet with my psychiatrist . That meeting is next Thursday .

Its funny but I felt less apprehension walking around the VA hospital than I did when I stopped at Mc Donald's for a cup of coffee on my way in
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

OS, both looks are fine and well within acceptability for you. You should have no problems. I have been to the GP surgery and the main hospital wearing a skirt and there have been no comments or funny looks. They listen, diagnose and treat what I am there for and are polite at all times. I must admit that I am not seeing a psychiatrist though.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Both of those looks work well, Sir, and I'm happy you're settling into things well. That bodes well for the future.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!