Skirts to dresses

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Skirts to dresses

Post by weeladdie18 »

An interesting perspective of this new lifestyle is that a friend of mine , who is a born and bread local was asked why I wear The Kilt.
The reply he gave was a logical conclusion......" They are all like that,... where he comes from....."............L.O.L.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Perhaps this is a Sunday thought,.........We all keep moving on until we can find an acceptable lifestyle......
Or find a community which has to accept our chosen lifestyle....
It is all a matter of personal confidence,....without trying to preach our lifestyle to other folks.........

As I said in another Post , last week I celebrated my first year with the Skirt Café....
The high point of my year was adopting a style of outfit which can be successfully worn by a Male who took off his trousers
and now wears a summer skirt or a straight skirt or a pleated skirt......

Please will you note that I have not mentioned wearing the Traditional Scottish Kilt,....as this is an entirely separate issue....weeladdie
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Sinned wrote:Daryl, I have some of them thawb things bought whilst on holiday in Egypt. I agree on their comfort and suitability and I only wear them around the house for the reason that you gave. They do shout Muslim. I wish that were different but the signals are what they are.

And that is a problem because....?
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

skirtyscot wrote:
Sinned wrote:Daryl, I have some of them thawb things bought whilst on holiday in Egypt. I agree on their comfort and suitability and I only wear them around the house for the reason that you gave. They do shout Muslim. I wish that were different but the signals are what they are.

Just add a non-Muslim symbol. Tie-dye it, wear a big cross or some hippy beads, or something else creative.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Alistaire, we don't have a large Muslim population here in York. Of course just a stone's throw west of us there is the large conurbation of Leeds/Bradford which is noted for its, ahem, diverse ethnic population. I remember looking out of the window in Jimmys [0] hospital and seeing a fairly large mosque with its minarets. So as such I would feel more conspicuous than if I wore a skirt.

[0] St James' Hospital, Leeds. My son was in there receiving unsuccessful treatment for leukaemia.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

skirtyscot wrote:And that is a problem because....?
Hi All,
Good question Alistair.
Perhaps someone who is properly acquainted with the ways and traditions of Islam might answer.
Without prejudice please!
Steve.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

I think I have mentioned this before-in Western Civilization, robes (and the kilt) have been almost the only exceptions to Trousers Tyranny. So it wouldn't surprise me if a robe like garment might be the next design to gain traction. This may sound like an imitation of Muslim garb, but I expect specifically Western versions.

Tie dye robes, anybody?
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Grok wrote:Tie dye robes, anybody?
That sounds interesting. Etsy, Ebay, and Amazon all have some, but almost all say they are for women, so we guys can't wear those, right?

Here's one for men or women.
from Amazon:https://www.amazon.com/Forever-Lazy-Uni ... way&sr=8-3
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

I would certainly like the idea of wearing a robe type garment. My only problem with the one illustrated is that I might wear it when I have just got out of bed or the shower. I have doubts about it as street wear in a practical sense but another part of me says why not too.
I will most likely be out and about this afternoon in a new dress, number 2 in the year of the dress. Pictures will follow.
Steve.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Jim... that's a bath robe buddy... :wink: :lol:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

moonshadow wrote:Jim... that's a bath robe buddy... :wink: :lol:
Yep!
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

skirtyscot wrote:

For the same reason that I wouldn't dress like an ordained minister or Indian chief. When something is so strongly associated with a particular kind of person it borders on mockery or deception for one to do it in any context other than a costume party (where the whole point is to step outside of your usual identity). We have a large Muslim population here and they tend to only wear their thawbs when going to Muslim events (weddings, mosque attendance, etc.). Now, when they start wearing them as everyday streetwear, with no pants underneath, I will too.
Daryl...
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Jim wrote:Just add a non-Muslim symbol. Tie-dye it, wear a big cross or some hippy beads, or something else creative.
Yes, there will be a way to wear a thawb without screaming "I am pretending to be Muslim". Finding the one that is simple enough to do and feel comfortable in is the only challenge.
Daryl...
Mercury

Post by Mercury »

skirtyscot wrote:Sounds like a nice skirt, mercury. Got a picture of it for us?

I'd wait a while before going out with the boyfriend in a dress if I were you. Let him get comfortable with the idea of being seen with you in a skirt first.

Posting pictures on this forum seems a little complicated to me.

It's funny you should mention my boyfriend. A few days ago he told me that he would no longer go out in public with me when I wear a skirt. I was stunned and didn't know what to say. He said he's worried about my safety. He also thinks someone at his job will see, and he might get fired over it. It seems irrational to me.
Mercury

Post by Mercury »

mishawakaskirt wrote:I'm no psychology major, most likely the jump from skirt to dress difficulty is because with a dress it is just you and the dress.
You don't have a male shirt to hide behind.
Hence why some of you feel comfortable covering the top half with a jacket.
Dresses are made for womens proportions. So the fit is almost never right on a guy.

You figure, how can you go wrong with a skirt. Two holes, one for your waist and one for your feet.

As long as it fits your waist. It will fit the rest of you.
No matter what sex you are. The only exception would be too long of a skirt on a short person might pose a tripping hazard.

While I have a few dresses.
I find I rather wear skirts.

The top portion of the dress is all wrong 97 percent of the time. Two low of a neck line, snug sleeves and or shoulders, too much fabric in the chest, too tight at the belly. So not worth the hunt.
I wear a size 18 skirt on average. The dress would likely have to be 24 to 26 to fit the upper half of me.
Then the rest of it would look so baggy.
I don't bother looking at them any more.

Skirts fulfill the simplistic desire of wearing a practical open bottomed garment.
That's why I came to this party.
It's not about pushing the envelope.
It's not about fashion.
It's not about being gender variable.
It's not about exciting fabrics or colors.
(While I have found some cute skirts with neat colors or fabrics, I consider that a added bonus to skirting, not a driving force to waning to wear skirts.)

Comfort is key.

I still don't understand why skirts are so unpopular.
I'd take a knee length Aline or circle skirt any day. Over the best comfortable, designer trousers.

I would love to throw out my trousers. But would have to throw out most of the people in my life at the same time.

I'm making a dress now. I actually prefer it to be loose in the chest area. The one I'm making is from a Butterick pattern from 1952. I think it's a shirtwaist dress, which is a style I really like. It has waist and shoulder darts to give it shape. I guess I could have altered the pattern so it was more fitted to a male figure, but it's not too bad.