Brexit

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Gregg1100
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Brexit

Post by Gregg1100 »

Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Yes,
Ever since the French de-standardized the meter I'm having a devil of a job with my waistline and my French jupes keep slipping down! Now when we talk about yards we all know where we stand. Any skirt with a yard waistline will be on the floor around my feet, so I can easily step out of it. :P

Btw. For Brexit I quite like rice krispies, tinned grapefruit segments, coffee & toast. Further South I like to chop fresh fruit into a bowl of natural yogurt and enjoy my Brexit in the cockpit looking at the blue horizon.

Nice thought at this time of year!

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Brexit Extension

Post by Grok »

I was wondering how Brits are reacting to this.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Two words spring to mind: Mixed and Confused. As to the very recent time extension, Relief is what we feel over here, but the grenade will go off anyway, sometime soon.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

One thought:
Imagine there are three options and they are equally popular.  A vote is held on Option A, one third will vote for it and two-thirds against.  Now votes are held for Options B and C, the same thing happens for both of them.  The adversarial Parliamentary system can break down when there are more than two options and division on party lines cannot be enforced.  A few politicians have shown they are capable of thinking, but too many appear to be 'yes men' who have only enough brain to vote along party lines and cannot see the consequences of their actions.

Another thought:
Theresa May has shown how tough she is by not caving in under pressure from Parliament; assuming she has displayed the same toughness in her negotiations with Europe, what would be the sense of her being replaced by someone who could not do any better.  It is interesting to note that the Opposition was basing their calls for her resignation on the lack of parliamentary (i.e. their own) support for her deal but were not able to put forward a better deal which had any hope of acceptance by Europe - or a negotiator who had a better grasp of the problems.

...and then there is the question of what happens to Northern Ireland...      Interesting times.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

More than ever I think that a referendum is a blunt instrument that is not at all suited to British politics. I dislike the sequence of events that led to the referendum being sanctioned and it is just bad luck that at the time it came about the UK had a Marxist opposition party leader who is more anti-Europe than most in the House. Laws are passed in the UK by politicians, not individual voters. Had the Tory party a big majority and enough pro Brexit MP's then they could have got this (legitimately) through the proper channels - without needing to rely on a referendum where the gulf between the sales pitch and reality was too wide to get enough votes in Parliament.

This could still go in one of several different directions and I don't think that anyone could call the result with any confidence at this point in time. I read the Times reporting each day and the posts of Robert Peston, who seems to have a good handle on what is going on.
happykilt

Post by happykilt »

A lighter side of a serious matter, and looks like he is wearing a skirt.

For those who use Facebook, here is the link to the Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/12456320431545 ... &__tn__=-R

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neil_Horan
Edit: Added the link to Wikipedia.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Why can't we have religious nuts like that?? :lol:

I don't know what side he's on, nor to I really understand the politics at hand... but no one can deny... he's a character!

Our religious nuts are a lot less fun. In fact, they're really no fun at all, total 100% buzz kills...
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

moonshadow wrote:Why can't we have religious nuts like that?? :lol:

I don't know what side he's on, nor to I really understand the politics at hand... but no one can deny... he's a character!

Our religious nuts are a lot less fun. In fact, they're really no fun at all, total 100% buzz kills...
I don’t really understand all the feelings about Brexit either, as there seems to be an emotional component that transcends all other facets. And, judging by that photo, an emotional component that transcends mental competence, lol. So I won’t criticize what I don’t fully understand. But I’m betting Vladimir Putin understands it pretty well.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
happykilt

Post by happykilt »

dillon wrote: ....But I’m betting Vladimir Putin understands it pretty well.
That is exactly how I, as a fellow European, understand this. Can't now find the source, but I remember seeing some (probably doubtful) info of Russian monetary back-up to brexiters in UK. But being that true or not, Brexit is another win to Putins Russia. It weakens Europe in some way and amount.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

With a bit of luck they will finally admit to it being the most elaborate April fool since Hector was a pup.
Steve.
Gregg1100
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gregg1100 »

The biggest April fools joke is Scotland wanting independence from UK, then wanting to stay tied to the apron strings of the crap eu. Nice one.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Well, I see that feelings are still running hot on this matter in the UK.

I have to say it all too frequently to my brethren in the USA, "Please, let's keep this civil and focused on facts and policies and leave personalities out of it." Do I need to say that to my brethren in the UK as well?

Overall, democratic ideals have been waning for the past 40-odd years. So griping that something isn't democratic is largely like saying that black isn't black. Show me an operational democracy in 2019. I suspect that'll be a difficult challenge once one gets outside tiny-town politics in the US north-east where Open Town Meeting perseveres somehow as the final bastion here.

Perhaps my high hopes for the EU were misplaced back in the mid 1980s after watching the USA and the Soviet Union both implode into oligarchies, and the rise of China as a third that, likely, is now more powerful than the US and Russia combined. I'd hoped that the EU would form a bulwark against the creeping decline of civilisation as we know it. I may have been wrong, but if I am, then everything we've grown up with and cherished is out the window.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

OK, no offence was intended from me.
Steve.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

It's ok Carl. I think that people over here are just fed up with it all. Yes, in the great unwashed there are extremist factions on either side of exit but one problem is that there is a large number of MP's that are Remainers so cuts across what their constituents voted for in the big R. It seems that Parliament and the gaggle of MP's has reached their level of incompetence and is making a really great f*ck up of it all. They are showing that they can't agree on anything as all suggestions currently cannot achieve a majority. It appears that we may end up with May's agreement or no agreement. Admittedly the EU will not make it easy for us as it has its own expectations and requirements of us that don't correspond with our needs. Probably the vast majority in this country want the powers to just get on with it, exit Europe and pick up the pieces after. Even the Remainers aren't as vocal as they have been. So I don't think that we will get a verbal war over this subject here.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.