Can't buy a skirt

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Can't buy a skirt

Post by Sinned »

I've really stopped looking at the major retailers for skirts as they just don't have on the rails the sorts of skirts that I would consider wearing. The outlet doesn't matter - ASDA, Tesco, Matalan and others just don't have the simplicity in design. Primark comes closest at the moment but they seem to sell Asian sizes so I need to try on a skirt to ensure fit. Most depressing, really and I think that millions are being lost in sales.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
vendeebeaches

Post by vendeebeaches »

Bought a skirt in Primark yesterday, usually I'm size 12 but the sizes do vary a lot. I always try them on in the shop changing rooms, the shop assistants are very good and never comment about me trying skirts.
Tackleberry
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Tackleberry »

skirtyscot wrote:Have you tried Sainsbury's?
I’ve looked in our nearest big Sainsburys (in Frome) and nothing, same as our local Tesco in Midsomer Norton, however I did buy a denim skirt from the Tesco in Shepton Mallet the other week and yesterday I bought 2 new skirts from the New Look next door yesterday...
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

Forbes those in and around Edinburgh, Sainsbury’s Murrayfield store always has a good selection of skirts and dresses I. The Sale section, plus another Raül of two of unsold items at the far end, near the changing rooms. Marks and Spencer at the Gyle centre does have a sale section at certain times of year. There were some nice skirts around Christmas time, though I didn’t buy the ones I liked due to resistance at home and lack of opportunities to wear them.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Well someone must sell most of the millions of skirts that are on ebay/in charity shops. The ones that aren't from the far east, that is.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

Sinned wrote:Well someone must sell most of the millions of skirts that are on ebay/in charity shops. The ones that aren't from the far east, that is.
As Dennis said, eBay has tons. Even brand new surplus stuff - ex M&S to designer like Fendi or D&G. All my kilts and skirts have come from eBay, there's the convenience of Click & Collect, so the item goes to the local Argos collection point (some are even in Sainsburys / Homebase branches as Sainsbury's own Argos) - you will get a code which you quote to the cashier, along with your name... no funny looks, smirks from staff no matter what the item is. Get looking for what you want, set up a PayPal account, link it to your bank and away you go! :wink:
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Kilty
It rather depends on budget and the style you are after.
I have found Matalan and charity shops good sources.
Don't dismiss Marks and Spencer or Next, their prices are ok the products mainly good quality.
I also like to try things on and have never been faced with anything but decent service.
Just keep looking.
Steve.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Stevie,

Apart from the acute dearth of skirts on offer, I had thought that NE Scotland, i.e. anywhere above or East of Perth was uninhabitable by Man, yet you say you always get the best of service :?

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

STEVIE wrote:Hi Kilty
It rather depends on budget and the style you are after.
I have found Matalan and charity shops good sources.
Don't dismiss Marks and Spencer or Next, their prices are ok the products mainly good quality.
I also like to try things on and have never been faced with anything but decent service.
Just keep looking.
Steve.
It is nice to try things on, but I know I'm a 10 and yes, there are loose 10s and tight ones... but after choosing the buy it now price, I rarely go above £10, you can get some bargains! Bought a gorgeous Warehouse denim with cute side zip for a fraction of shop price, the royal blue one was only £12. It depends on what we are most comfortable doing :wink:
hillaryskirt

Post by hillaryskirt »

This thread has gone a bit cold? But I"m new so so what!
I like to buy skirts from Marks and Spencer. I just like the classic tailoring and cool lining.
If I'm honest I bet a bit of a kick from the fact there is something quintessential about, as a man, wearing a skirt with a label that says: M&S Woman on it but each to their own and I enjoy the look so why not? :oops: :roll: :D
"The past is never dead. It's not even past." - William Faulkner.
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

Check with Amazon, they have everything. Not knowing what style you are looking for I would check tennis skirts / skorts, and scrub skirts that can be shortened. This should be the time of the year when Spring fashions will be appearing.
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

hillaryskirt wrote:This thread has gone a bit cold? But I"m new so so what!
I like to buy skirts from Marks and Spencer. I just like the classic tailoring and cool lining.
If I'm honest I bet a bit of a kick from the fact there is something quintessential about, as a man, wearing a skirt with a label that says: M&S Woman on it but each to their own and I enjoy the look so why not? :oops: :roll: :D
I might give M&S a try if I look on ebay, some of their pencils are okay for work, but they tread a fine line between okay and frumpy. I've been out to the City (took a ride on the bus) and walked about in my Michael Kors pencil (with black tights, and wore ladies' trainers like most girls dashing to work) - I asked one girl on a reception desk for a good place to buy skirts - she looked a bit embarrassed :oops: but told me Warehouse, Zara, H&M... avoid the tat in Next or Topshop as it's cheaply made stretchy stuff which can ride up your legs :shock:

I do like the corporate look that Mark has and have tried to emulate that with a smart shirt and sensible knee-length skirt. There's plenty of skirts out there, and I see loads of girls in skirts which encourages me too. I bought a grey skirt in Zara today, a pencil one, quite a large slit at the back but as girls aren't bothered about showing flesh, why shouldn't I too? :) I need to get some pumps sooner or later, though I'm scared of busting my ankle :roll:
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
hillaryskirt

Post by hillaryskirt »

Spring fashions.. Frumpy [I like Frumpy!!].. Asking for advice.. Thanks for the comment / so many nice ideas.. :pr: :pl: :pl: :pl: :shock:
"The past is never dead. It's not even past." - William Faulkner.