Skirts to dresses

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Mercury

Skirts to dresses

Post by Mercury »

I have been wearing skirts in various forms for about two years I think. First I started with a kilt. Then I started making and wearing my own. I have gotten to the point where I want to push it a little further. Last weekend I stopped by Hobby Lobby and Joann's because they had a sale on patterns. I picked up two dress patterns that I liked. I want to make one of them and wear it publicly. I'm really nervous about it. Has anyone else been nervous about wearing dresses? For some reason it seems more intimidating than putting on a skirt.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Re: Skirts to dresses

Post by beachlion »

I'm exactly at the same spot where you are. I also started with kilts. After a first buy, I made a few more by myself. Then I switched to skirts, buying some and making more by myself. Now I made a few dresses but I don't have the balls to wear them in the open. Beside that, the weather is not co-operating either. Check the Sewing part for more info about my sewing.

I'm curious how you are going to solve your problem. I have no idea yet. Maybe I should start with a light jacket over the dress.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Mercury

Post by Mercury »

beachlion wrote:I'm exactly at the same spot where you are. I also started with kilts. After a first buy, I made a few more by myself. Then I switched to skirts, buying some and making more by myself. Now I made a few dresses but I don't have the balls to wear them in the open. Beside that, the weather is not co-operating either. Check the Sewing part for more info about my sewing.

I'm curious how you are going to solve your problem. I have no idea yet. Maybe I should start with a light jacket over the dress.
When I first started wearing skirts I used solid subdued colors, nothing too flashy. That helped me to ease into it. Maybe I could do the same with dresses. I could use lightweight denim or chambray. I could also include a light jacket. I will need one any since it's still chilly around here.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

Mercury wrote:...... When I first started wearing skirts I used solid subdued colors, nothing too flashy. That helped me to ease into it. Maybe I could do the same with dresses. I could use lightweight denim or chambray. I could also include a light jacket. I will need one any since it's still chilly around here.
My oolors are still quite dark like black and denim. I also use a light denim fabric and sometimes khaki. I have a few "wild" skirts but those are for the beach.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Mercury wrote:When I first started wearing skirts I used solid subdued colors, nothing too flashy. That helped me to ease into it. Maybe I could do the same with dresses.
When I started wearing skirts, it was in a home-made white mini -- hardly "subdued". The ones I later wore in public settings were typically more sedate although there was a favourite red one in the mix. Over time, my sense of colour became more daring and I ventured into very rich purples, reds, and blues in exotic fabrics like velvet. I retain all of that and I also have two dresses -- one is a bespoke piece manufactured to my precise measurements and the other is an off-the-peg number with a slight modification to the neckline.

I still have a hard time with my dresses in public. The way they hang from the shoulders and the way that they move on my body when I'm in motion tends to confuse me, and I find myself continually questioning whether I'm wearing anything at all. It's a weird situation. I'm not sure that the fabric will make all that much of a difference.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

I do wear dresses in public, but must confess that I do so usually with some sort of pullover, and that obscures the fact that it’s a dress. I will wear knee length or shorter dresses with a pullover. Only at the beach will I wear a long tank dress without a tee shirt or sweater atop. I am an old man and don’t have the musculature in my upper body to pull off that look. If a guy doesn’t have pretty buff and cut arms and shoulders then he should avoid wearing a dress that emphasizes them. Otherwise, it’s just...ewwww.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
kingfish
Member Extraordinaire

Post by kingfish »

*chuckle* Kilts are definitely a gateway garment. It got me out in public.

As for dresses, I own a few and have worn them in public. Being overweight myself, I found the lack of something constricting my waist to be a delightful sensation.

Wearing a jacket or top that covers the waist makes effectively obscures the fact that you're wearing a dress.

By the way, the caftan, thobe/dishdasha, cassock, alb, changpao, and kimono are all effectively dresses.
Lastly, the academic gown seen on just about every judge and everyone marching in an academic commencement ceremony, is also a dress.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I've been a dress wearer for almost as long as I've been wearing skirts. I have no major issues going out in a dress, at least no more so than I would over going out in a skirt for the most part.

Consider this:

Dresses, or dress like garments, really are the genesis of human clothing. The ancients often wore robes, caftans, and other dress like garments that hung from the shoulders. They can be beautifully elegant on both men and women, depending on the style.

In general, skirts are more popular than dresses, even amongst the ladies. It's too bad that there isn't more to choose from in the thrift stores and other establishments.

In case you haven't noticed by now, yes I'm a BIG dress fan. There is just so much you can do with them, sometimes I even like to combine them with skirts (let them hang over the skirt, with some of the skirt sticking out of the bottom). It may not be a popular look, but I personally love it. It also can be a toasty choice in the cold of winter.

Why, dresses seem to be so much of the core of our evolution as a civilized species, that even our phrase to don clothing at all tends to be "to get dressed".

So what are you waiting on?
ms_dress_skirt004.JPG
ms_dress_skirt002.JPG
ms_dress_skirt003.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

More examples:
ms_dress_skirt005.JPG
ms_dress_skirt006.JPG
ms_dress_skirt007.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

And finally, I will end my dress show with this shot of me trying to pull of a "Kilted John" pose with my very widely flared boho dress...
ms_dress_skirt008.JPG
Oh dresses are SO FUN! You guys don't know what you're missing!
-Andrea
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

Last month, we had a "sweater day" it's a green initiative, and we turn down the thermostat a few degrees, and wear warm sweaters, colorful, old school, ugly, stylish, etc.

I finally took the opportunity to wear my "sweater dress" it's dark blue merino wool long sleeve, with a loose turtle neck, I think it's called a cowl neck. Pretty basic straight design, with an offset buckle which pulls the shape in such a way that any bumps get hidden. It comes to just about knee length on me. Lots of good comments from co workers, a few confused looks from customers, I don't think there was much indication that it was sweater day. Turns out I won the "most stylish" award.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

moonshadow wrote:And finally, I will end my dress show with this shot of me trying to pull of a "Kilted John" pose with my very widely flared boho dress...
ms_dress_skirt008.JPG
Oh dresses are SO FUN! You guys don't know what you're missing!

Good job on the "Kilted John pose". The picture is the first thing that caught my eye. It fooled me until I read your post.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi All,
Going from a skirt to a dress is just a matter for the individual to decide on.
The crucial factor is to be confident and comfortable with the choice.
Don't we get enough of being made miserable by any other limitations on our choices without inflicting more on ourselves?
I just made my first outing in a new dress yesterday. That is only the second one in several years.
The outing was most enjoyable. The new look a vast improvement too but I will let others judge when I get some photos up.
Steve.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

I've been wearing dresses regularly for the last year and a half or so, and really, it's no big deal. In some ways, dresses are easier to wear because you don't have to struggle over properly pairing a top with a skirt (if you obsess with looking fashionable as I do), with a dress, you just put it on and go, nothing more complicated than that. And, most of all, it's fun!
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

I bought a dress a while ago, must be at least three years ago now. It's basically a knee-length polo shirt in bright stripes. It hasn't seen the light of day, and Mrs SS doesn't know about it (AFAIK). It looks fine except that the shape is wrong. I wear a size 12 skirt. I guessed size 18 for my shoulders and it's nearly big enough up there, very slightly on the tight side. It's the right size on my chest and it has no darts so it's not particularly "womanly" shaped. But of course it's three sizes too wide round the backside.

All of which makes me ask Mercury this: why make a dress from a pattern? How much will you have to adjust the measurements to get it to fit well?

I could get mine taken in but I doubt it's worth it. Wearing it in public would be a big step which I don't feel the need to take. Mrs SS would go ballistic. She pretty much accepts my skirts without complaint these days. Any extra physical comfort would be outweighed by the grief I'd get - it might even reverse the progress I've made over the years.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair