(Good) Comments are king.

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Re: (Good) Comments are king.

Post by Freedomforall »

Sinned wrote:I have to agree with FFA on this as I don't vie for acceptance from either males or females [0]. I also am a loner, always have been and am definitely not of the macho type. I was never one for going out drinking, acting obnoxious or really interested in sports. So I couldn't really care what other males think just so long as they don't give any grief about what I wear and so far they haven't.

[0] MOH and family excepting.

Dennis the more I see your posts, it makes me realize that we are very much alike. I also am not into sports. Of course we are alike on the other things we both mentioned as well.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

FFA, I posted a poem based on Dr Seuss' "I Love My Job" in the Off Topic section, thread "Skirt related poetry". It may help you in your cause. MOH will get it tomorrow in her Valentine's Day card. I had hoped that there would be some that could offer improvement on my effort but no takers so far so she will get it as is. I think that certainly Moon is a kindred spirit from what he has posted. He's lucky to have Jenn who is supportive. There are others.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Had to go to the Post Office. Had on my normal Denim skirt knee boots still cold so I had tights.
I do a lot of work with my tax clients thru the mail. So usually when I go to the post office its few things to take care of.
I'm am in there often I know the clerks.

I was working with one lady and while she was processing my stuff it was the small talk

We were done as she was handing me my receipt she smiled and she said

" You know it really pisses me off when I see a man who looks better in a skirt and boots than I do. "
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

oldsalt1 wrote:We were done as she was handing me my receipt she smiled and she said " You know it really pisses me off when I see a man who looks better in a skirt and boots than I do. "
Now that is great praise coming your way. :D
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

Sinned wrote:FFA, I posted a poem based on Dr Seuss' "I Love My Job" in the Off Topic section, thread "Skirt related poetry". It may help you in your cause. MOH will get it tomorrow in her Valentine's Day card. I had hoped that there would be some that could offer improvement on my effort but no takers so far so she will get it as is. I think that certainly Moon is a kindred spirit from what he has posted. He's lucky to have Jenn who is supportive. There are others.
How did YOH react to the poem?
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Gusto, she was expectantly underwhelming and I don't think that it has done one jot to alter her opinion. I never really expected it to but one has to try. True, she hasn't whinged when I have worn a skirt recently but that's not unusual - she will often go a while being tolerant before I get a hurricane of a tirade and then all goes quiet again.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Is this a good comment or a bad one.

I went back to the post office today got the same lady clerk.

I was wearing pants today. As I was leaving her comment was "I liked you better with the skirt on"
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

oldsalt1 wrote:Is this a good comment or a bad one.

I was wearing pants today. As I was leaving her comment was "I liked you better with the skirt on"
That is what I would call a great comment!!! :D :D :D :D
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

oldsalt1 wrote:Is this a good comment or a bad one.

The only way to judge that would have been correlation with the tone of the comment and body language, which sadly are of necessity missing here.

You're on your own on this one as none of us (other than you, of course) were there.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

... but in the absence of tone, body language and whatnot, it sure looks like a great comment! As did the previous one.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Skirtyscot I agree its simple nothing deep . Its being seen in a skirt and being acknowledged with a smile and a chuckle instead of a stare and a sneer
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

oldsalt1 wrote:Skirtyscot I agree its simple nothing deep . Its being seen in a skirt and being acknowledged with a smile and a chuckle instead of a stare and a sneer
That, alone, is worth the price of admission!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

It's been an interesting day. I've been called many things in the past, but "spirit animal" isn't one of 'em, even though the delivery was one of sincere appreciation. I also garnered a couple more at my local where I got supper.

When pinned about what sort of animal I might be, I thought about it for a moment and mentioned, "platypus" -- which was widely regarded as a joke or hoax before live specimens were brought to the "old world" or, perhaps as likely, filmed in situ Down Under. I think that fits as well an anything else, and I am quite possibly the only adult male in the USA that has a plush platypus on my bed along with a teddy bear. I feel no shame whatsoever in this.

Later in the day, when I got to my local, only to find the bar completely socked in, I opted to sit next to the "piano" and one of the wait-staff. "Is this spot taken?" // "Yes! By you!" which was delivered with a big smile, and once I sat down was peppered with compliments on my attire by a member of the staff there who's going to migrate south to Florida next week and who seemed thrilled to have time to actually chat with me. She made it a point that she appreciated my attire and attention to detail. She's a dear and I'll miss her.

Later still, after several pints of Guinness, a pair of patrons exited past me, including one regular whom I chat with frequently, and her friend was astonished by my legwear: "He's werirng fishnets! I used to wear fishnets back in the '70s!" My retort to that was, "Yes, I am, and I, too, have recollections of the '70s although I'd not have worn these then." which garnered some level of respect.

There was also very sad news today, as one of the women there whom I greatly enjoyed chatting with passed away earlier in the week. A couple of the bar staff made sure to tell me, and whilst it was sad news indeed, I thanked them for it. That definitely threw a wet towel over everything else, so it's with a bit of a heavy heart that I write this now. Bon nuit milady. It sucks getting old because so many friends and acquaintances seem to drop dead before it's time. :(
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I've just had an interesting experience which has boosted my spirits a lot. As I said in another thread, I was going to go into work skirted to tell them the news about my new grand-daughter and I did. All in black [0] except for my bias cut grey/red plaid skirt. I went straight behind the counter to talk to the girls. Few customers and no managers about so quite safe. I did notice one of my colleagues [1] serving a customer. I relayed my news and the lady serving said that the customer she had been serving said that she was offended by my wearing a skirt and I should have been told to leave the shop immediately. The customer had already gone when this news was relayed. What heartened me was the attitude of my colleagues. To a person they all said that it was none of the customer's business what I wore, it was nothing illegal and the customer should go out and get a life. They said that if she hadn't seen another man wearing a skirt even if it was a kilt then she should get into the real world. The customer is known by other members of staff as one that likes to complain about anything. The customer said that she was going to put in a complaint [2] as I had been rude to her in previous transactions and the others said that the company could do nothing as it was in my own time. I had no criticism, in fact the others said that they liked the skirt and it looked good. To get such support from colleagues was heartening and I said that I loved them all for it.

[0] Leather-effect jacket, formal button short sleeve shirt, thick tights and canvas shoes.
[1] An older lady disabled with arthritis, walks with sticks and a bit negative in her outlook. Delights a bit in passing bad news but I do get along with her quite well.
[2] The company promotes a website for customer feedback but management know of my sartorial tastes and that I keep exposure to my skirts to sensible levels. I have said that I wouldn't wear a skirt on company time but AFAIAA off-time they can do nothing about [3]. The equality laws cover me if I wanted to wear a skirt but sense prevails and I don't want to inflame a sensitive position just because I want to take a stand. I'm not worried about any adverse feedback from management. If I need any defence it would be that I went behind the counter to minimise disclosure to customers. With customers like her I can see why the company is reticent to allow me to wear a skirt in hours and TBH I can agree with them. OTOH when I have been able to talk to customers about a man wearing a skirt the feedback has been positive in the "why not" camp so this customer was probably an anachronism.
[3] Moon, I empathise with you on this issue. I will take things as they come.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

That’s such an affirming experience! I’m delighted for you. Maybe things are changing?