How many is enough to normalise us?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Re: How many is enough to normalise us?

Post by Elisabetta »

TheSkirtedMan wrote:
JennC03 wrote:What you have money can’t buy. It’s Priceless and that’s an accepting wife. Maybe some people should actually learn something from me in how to live in this world and not worry over a piece of clothing.
Well said. My wifes sentiment as well.

For me, I am retired, did so when my wife did, but I ran a garden maintenance and design business and lost not one of my regular clients when I decided to go public and had no problem with ongoing new clients. Still maintain 1 day a week, summer months only for maintenance only for a few clients. Friends maintained, new ones acquired. One or two distant family members raised points when they finally heard but they only come into our life at christenings, weddings, and funerals and quite often not even then and certainly had no social interaction. Have had no issues within voluntary roles at two different historic houses interacting with paying visitors. Perhaps I am lucky, perhaps societies direct involvement with my wife and I have open minded people in our lives.

As Moonshadow has stated he had problems and quite a few on this forum hint of such with partners so I can see why some men do hide behind doors. Especially if within professional occupations with strict obsession to society expectations and labels that are relaxed with females with regards dress codes and appearance but still held in high regard towards males. Quite often it is the fear of the unknown and it is these who could potentially increase the number of men in skirts in public. This forum, others and the many positive comments on the internet about men in skirts may hopefully encourage them to take that first step. Sadly negative comments abound as well which can negate any positive thoughts.

Society, certainly in the western cultures, it is masculinity that is seen as being normal and all most aspire and adhere to it to be accepted by the larger society "clan" membership. I am an individual, true to myself and develop a personal life around that. All else, I just ignore. Or use!

I’m Moonshadows wife. I fully support him no matter what he wears. He’d like for his mother to be okay with it but I always ask. Why do you need her approval?
"When life gets blurry adjust your focus."
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Well said again Jenn .....Perhaps the Males are getting upset because the Lassies are more interested in eyeing up a Man in a Skirt.....
than eyeing up a butch male with a funny haircut and lots of weird tattoos ................................L.O.L.
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

weeladdie18 wrote:Well said again Jenn .....Perhaps the Males are getting upset because the Lassies are more interested in eyeing up a Man in a Skirt.....
than eyeing up a butch male with a funny haircut and lots of weird tattoos ................................L.O.L.

Thank you =-)
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Thank you Jenn...It is interesting to note that my mother did not wish me to go out of her front door whilst wearing a skirt....
because of what her neighbours might think......It was unfortunate that she did not consider what I thought of her neighbours......L.O.L.

There again the cultural acceptance of the local community has changed since I was born,.. and lived in Sea Ports for many years.....weeladdie
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

weeladdie18 wrote:Thank you Jenn...It is interesting to note that my mother did not wish me to go out of her front door whilst wearing a skirt....
because of what her neighbours might think......It was unfortunate that she did not consider what I thought of her neighbours......L.O.L.

There again the cultural acceptance of the local community has changed since I was born,.. and lived in Sea Ports for many years.....weeladdie

You’re welcome. I’m not sure why your mom worried so much. Maybe you could’ve flashed them the Moon then they’d have something to chatter about LOL
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Jenn..It is unfortunate to say that my Mother passed away at home when she was nearly ninety years old......
If she had chatted to Moon's Mom , they would probably have agreed that theirs sons should not wear skirts....
However I am quite sure that they would have continued to chatter until they found a subject for mutual disagreement.........
........L.O.L................weeladdie
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Jenn,

I don't think he understood the phrase "flashed them the Moon" ;)
:hide:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

Uncle Al wrote:Jenn,

I don't think he understood the phrase "flashed them the Moon" ;)
:hide:

Uncle Al
Lol
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

weeladdie18 wrote:Jenn..It is unfortunate to say that my Mother passed away at home when she was nearly ninety years old......
If she had chatted to Moon's Mom , they would probably have agreed that theirs sons should not wear skirts....
However I am quite sure that they would have continued to chatter until they found a subject for mutual disagreement.........
........L.O.L................weeladdie

Weeladdie I meant you flash your neighbors your butt LOL!

Sorry to hear about your mom.
TheSkirtedMan
Member Extraordinaire

Post by TheSkirtedMan »

JennC03 wrote:... but I always ask. Why do you need her approval?
Exactly. Why does anyone need anothers approval for anything in life so long as no physical harm to others is being done. If that person is happy and content with themselves, let them be. For some, family connection is important and that can add personal pressure on themselves.

I have been far more settled as an individual since I started being far more open with my preferred clothing choice and ignoring society clothing labels and expectations. Should I have been stronger with myself earlier in life, perhaps but society then was even more indocterinated and professional even non professional careers would have been more awkward, even impossible for the likes of me and other diverse individuals to be themselves. I do not dwell on it but make the most of now and try to encourage others in all aspects of life to be themselves so long as no law broken, no physical harm to others. Forget the society gender and other labels and expectations, be yourself, be an individual. I can only stress once again, to those men hiding in private, taking the first step is hard but it gets very much easier. Be confident, not too extreme and interact just as a woman who has assimilated the male wardrobe does in day to day life. Do they think of labels, expectations or even seek approval of others? No, they complain and join forces with others in the sisterhood if any question about their individuality and rights are raised. Forget the labels and expectations, just be you. Partner/wife objection is a different subject and best dealt in house.

The world is full of interferring do gooders who always fail to see their own idiosyncrasies. No one is perfect in the eyes of another.
Be yourself because an original is worth more than a copy.
familyman34
Distinguished Member

Post by familyman34 »

Just been going back over posts that I must have missed earlier ... and I see that Jetblasted and Dust have made points about shaving (I presume of legs).
Well, 40 years ago I noticed that my legs had become completely hairless, leaving just a few hairs right up at the inside top of my thighs (My arms and chest have a fairly normal covering of hair, and I'm just now starting to get a slight bald patch on the crown of my head); I think that it must be a genetic predisposition as my father had the same thing. I've heard that it may be caused by poor blood circulation, but I don't think that that applies to me as I apparently have excellent circulation.
Hairless legs certainly makes skirt-wearing a little easier.
And my three daughters all say how envious they are!

Familyman34
Familyman34
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

familyman the solar panel is undoubtedly genetic and has nothing to do with blood circulation. I have the same thing. As to leg hair mine is fair and fine so I don't shave.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
familyman34
Distinguished Member

Post by familyman34 »

I saw a MIS in the distance in Lowestoft this spring; I think that I recall another SC member giving Lowestoft as his location, but nothing shows up on the members map. And there was a youngish (student?) dress-wearer in the audience at a street theatre event in Norwich on 14th July this year (http://www.angliasquarelovestory.com) Other than the Gorleston bowler I mentioned in a previous post, I haven't seen any other MIS in the East Norfolk/Waveney area.

During our holiday in Ireland (June/July this summer), I was mini-skirted for more than half the time, and it was certainly the most suitable garb for the weather, unseasonally hot and sunny for Ireland - I even got quite badly sunburned. Over two weeks we drove just over 3000km, from Drogheda anticlockwise around the coast to Dublin, and then finished with four days of general tourism in Dublin where I wore skirts every day. We were out walking most days, doing about 15km a day. And no hassle at all, anywhere, in town or country!

I appear to have become a bit fitter as a result, and I've certainly lost some weight. Since our return, I've tried to keep up the exercise regime, and am walking (skirted, of course, in 15" or 16" minis) between 15 and 20km a day; the only problems are the brambles and nettles that have invaded parts of the public footpath network, and the potential risk of ticks (and consequent Lyme Disease) in the undergrowth, though I haven't found any yet when I inspect my lower regions when I get home afterwards. Anyone else with any experience of ticks?

Some examples of my walks:
Hempnall circuit http://www.mappedometer.com/?maproute=759675

Claxton circuit http://www.mappedometer.com/?maproute=759691

Aldeby circuit http://www.mappedometer.com/?maproute=760355

Somerleyton circuit http://www.mappedometer.com/?maproute=760515

West Caister http://www.mappedometer.com/?maproute=760746

Once I've worked out how to post pictures of my attire, I'll try to show some. Milfog's sticky about posting pictures in Pics and Looks seems to assume a PC, but I'm a Mac user ....

Familyman34
Familyman34
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

familyman34 wrote:Once I've worked out how to post pictures of my attire, I'll try to show some.
Milfog's sticky about posting pictures in Pics and Looks seems to assume a PC,
but I'm a Mac user ....

Familyman34
We won't hold you being a MAC user against you but,
the process is the same. You have a pic on your computer.
You move down on the composition screen to the tab/button labeled "Browse" next to
the "File Name". Find your pic file. Highlight your 'Pic File' and click on "Add File".
Once the file has been 'uploaded', you'll find a new button labeled 'Place-in-line'.
Put your cursor where you want the pic to go and press 'Place-in-line'.
BINGO - Pic is loaded into your post :D

Uncle Al
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Uncle Al wrote:[No matter the computer in question] the process [of posting a photo here] is the same.

You have a pic on your computer. You move down on the composition screen to the tab/button labeled "Browse" next to the "File Name". Find your pic file. Highlight your 'Pic File' and click on "Add File". [...]
In all fairness, there may be additional steps, please see my write-up on digital imagery as it pertains to the WWW and The Skirt Cafe for additional information.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!