Member of Parliament Suggests Schoolboys Should Wear Skirts

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Member of Parliament Suggests Schoolboys Should Wear Ski

Post by moonshadow »

Kilted_John wrote:Funnily enough, I don't fit any of the three stereotypes. Nor does Dan. I love watching the muggles heads implode when they discover that I don't fit anything they try to jam me into.
Yeah, I don't either. I've toyed with liberal notions from time to time, but like the time I toyed with the "gender fliud" thing, I found it didn't quite fit my soul. I'll be the first to admit, if I ran the world, it would crash and burn. I'm generally a political idiot.

So...much like the clothes I wear, and basically every other part of me that makes me who I am, I just try to live my life in peace, enjoy myself, and not worry over to what the world thinks of it.

I hate that certain people think I'm transgender just for wearing a skirt. But there is nothing I can do about their opinions, and I'd rather spend my time here on earth NOT arguing with people over silly sh!t. Facts are facts. And truth shall stand when the world is on fire.

I am a male.... and that is a fact
I am at peace with myself, my place in the world, and finally with my creator.... and that is truth.

The libbys and neo-cons don't get to define who I am... I do.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

weeladdie18 wrote:If one considers the uniformity of our female Prime Minister in the U.K..........sometimes she wears her traditional skirt.........
At other times she wears her trousers..............L.O.L.
Whatta scandal! :lol: :wink:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
shadowfax
Member Extraordinaire

MP Suggests Schoolboys Could Wear Skirts

Post by shadowfax »

weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

We must remember that the school boys did not wear skirts as a protest....It was agreed that they may wear school uniform skirts , as the boys
were not allowed to wear shorts as a school uniform alternative to trousers...Up to 30 boys wore skirts simply because it was agreed that
the boys would be allowed to wear school skirts in the hot summer weather.

It is reasonable to assume that some of these boys might take to wearing skirts when they were not wearing their school or work wear.....
Please read the references again,...if you do not fully understand what I am saying ...............weeladdie
BobM
Member Extraordinaire

Post by BobM »

crfriend wrote:I really, really wish we could decouple trans-* and fashion. Nobody is being done any favours with the way things are at the moment.
Correct. I'm a conventional hetero old married man. It happens that I have liked skirts for most of my life.
I've found that assuming anything about a man you don't know is foolishness. Thankfully, most people are smart enough not to make asses of themselves, but there is always the one with assumptions, assertions, or snide remarks. Those folks don't get the time of day from me. Serious, polite inquiries get serious, polite answers. But honestly, at my age I really don't give a hoot in hell what the unwashed masses think.
Ordained Deacon and Ruling Elder, Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

BobM wrote: I've found that assuming anything about a man you don't know is foolishness.
Exactly. Hence, we should not worry about assumptions people make about us.

I suspect my facial hair reduces some erroneous assumtions, as might Carl's.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Re: MP Suggests Schoolboys Could Wear Skirts

Post by Daryl »

Not yet to the House of Lords. I don't watch UK politics. What are the odds this will die on a table or in a committee somewhere?
Daryl...
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

denimini wrote:
BobM wrote: I've found that assuming anything about a man you don't know is foolishness.
Exactly. Hence, we should not worry about assumptions people make about us.

I suspect my facial hair reduces some erroneous assumtions, as might Carl's.
Yeah, I have a full beard and typically don't run into that issue of people thinking I'm trans or a female or anything.

I did get ma'am-ed the other day (for the first time, I think). A woman called to me from behind to let me know I dropped something. She was probably 30 feet away. I was in a khaki Utilikilt. I have short hair, too. She corrected herself when I turned around, and I didn't make a fuss, I was just thankful for her pointing out what I had dropped.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Dust wrote:I did get ma'am-ed the other day (for the first time, I think). A woman called to me from behind to let me know I dropped something. She was probably 30 feet away. I was in a khaki Utilikilt. I have short hair, too. She corrected herself when I turned around, and I didn't make a fuss, I was just thankful for her pointing out what I had dropped.
The right thing to do in that situation would have been to smile, thank her for pointing out that you dropped something, and saying, "Don't worry about it."

Many women these days have short hair, so that was an entirely logical conclusion of hers in lieu of other visible factors. I've never been ma'am-ed, but that's entirely likely down to my height (which is statistically off-the-chart for women) and that my beard is full enough that it's likely somewhat visible even from astern -- and if someone did call me ma'am in a non-sarcastic manner I wouldn't particularly be bothered by it as it's an innocent enough mistake.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

crfriend wrote:
Dust wrote:I did get ma'am-ed the other day (for the first time, I think). A woman called to me from behind to let me know I dropped something. She was probably 30 feet away. I was in a khaki Utilikilt. I have short hair, too. She corrected herself when I turned around, and I didn't make a fuss, I was just thankful for her pointing out what I had dropped.
The right thing to do in that situation would have been to smile, thank her for pointing out that you dropped something, and saying, "Don't worry about it."

Many women these days have short hair, so that was an entirely logical conclusion of hers in lieu of other visible factors. I've never been ma'am-ed, but that's entirely likely down to my height (which is statistically off-the-chart for women) and that my beard is full enough that it's likely somewhat visible even from astern -- and if someone did call me ma'am in a non-sarcastic manner I wouldn't particularly be bothered by it as it's an innocent enough mistake.
I don't remember exactly what I did or said, but I know I didn't take offense. She didn't seem too embarrassed either. I think we both knew it was an honest mistake. It might not have even had to do with my attire, anyway.

I've rolled with it in the past when people call it a kilt or a skirt, even if it is said with obvious malice, and this woman clearly had none of that. I find agreeing with someone who is trying to insult or mock you can diffuse a situation pretty well. Taking offense only makes things worse, most of the time.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Dust wrote: I did get ma'am-ed the other day (for the first time, I think). A woman called to me from behind to let me know I dropped something. She was probably 30 feet away. I was in a khaki Utilikilt. I have short hair, too. She corrected herself when I turned around, and I didn't make a fuss, I was just thankful for her pointing out what I had dropped.
I got "Thankyou ma'am" once from an elderly lady when I was checking out at an Op-shop (thrift store), buying skirts and wearing a skirt. I had a short trimmed beard and obviously was facing her. It caught me off guard and I didn't know how to respond as I believed that she was trying to be "with it" and courteous. I just let it go as if I didn't hear. She probably thought I was a terrible failure as a crossdresser and felt sorry for me.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I don't think I've been ma'amed lately, but I do remember the time I was standing at the sink in a Walmart bathroom washing my hands. An older man walked in, quickly turned around and walked out, then a few seconds later walked back in.... :lol: He thought he entered the wrong room! :rofl:

When he came back in I hollered at him "you're in the right one buddy!"

He didn't say anything but I think he got embarrassed... :mrgreen:
-Andrea
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

moonshadow wrote:
crfriend wrote:I really, really wish we could decouple trans-* and fashion. Nobody is being done any favours with the way things are at the moment.
Transgender

Gay

Liberal

The three stereotypes of the male skirt wearer. (At least in the media)

I agree, it's getting tiresome. Fortunately, I get the feeling that most (and by most I mean 99%) of the locals assume I'm just a man in a skirt... a crazy man in a skirt, a foolish man in a skirt, a weird man in a skirt, but very few (as in... 2 to date) have assumed I was transgender. And that's out of thousands of interactions.

Trans is a fad. I suspect in a hundred years it won't matter.

Why?

Because frankly it's too damned confusing.

In fact I think it's already starting to die down.... Then again, I haven't caught a news story in ages... I just know the locals haven't started showing up with torches and pitch forks, so I assume all is well.
This MP is craving for attention by using trendy, hyped up, stigmatising issues and thus "building a statute" for her self. Self expression, comfort and health are passé as being "political correct".
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Charlie »

moonshadow wrote:I don't think I've been ma'amed lately, but I do remember the time I was standing at the sink in a Walmart bathroom washing my hands. An older man walked in, quickly turned around and walked out, then a few seconds later walked back in.... :lol: He thought he entered the wrong room! :rofl:

I've had similar a couple of times, to which I reply "If women ever start wearing trousers it'll get really confusing." :twisted:
Charlie
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

Charlie wrote:
moonshadow wrote:I don't think I've been ma'amed lately, but I do remember the time I was standing at the sink in a Walmart bathroom washing my hands. An older man walked in, quickly turned around and walked out, then a few seconds later walked back in.... :lol: He thought he entered the wrong room! :rofl:

I've had similar a couple of times, to which I reply "If women ever start wearing trousers it'll get really confusing." :twisted:
Charlie
You both crack me up. Thank you, I needed that laugh.

I'm going to have to remember that quip about women and use it often. Humor is your friend when out in something atypical.