Member of Parliament Suggests Schoolboys Should Wear Skirts

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Member of Parliament Suggests Schoolboys Should Wear Skirts

Post by Stu »

Allow boys to wear skirts at school as gender neutral uniform, says UK MP

https://lgbt.10ztalk.com/2019/02/23/all ... ays-uk-mp/
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Member of Parliament Suggests Schoolboys Should Wear Ski

Post by crfriend »

I really, really wish we could decouple trans-* and fashion. Nobody is being done any favours with the way things are at the moment.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

crfriend wrote:I really, really wish we could decouple trans-* and fashion. Nobody is being done any favours with the way things are at the moment.
The gears of bureaucracy grind slowly. For decades there were only round and square pegs and their corresponding holes on the bureaucratic board. Now they’ve finally added triangular pegs/holes...“trans.” I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting for everyone to get a hole in the board that fits. Maybe the answer is to ditch the board and the pegs, or at least add a “none of the above “ label option.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

crfriend wrote:I really, really wish we could decouple trans-* and fashion. Nobody is being done any favours with the way things are at the moment.
I'm with you on this. I thought it was bad when gay and fashionable got mixed up. This trans thing...

Getting the rules changed is good long term, but suggesting it is for trans kids is not. Boys need options... as boys! Unfortunately, it's tough to get anyone to care about them.

Boys will get slapped with the trans label for asking for these options, or exercising them if they have them. And that is not a road we should be forcing anyone down.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

I feel we should decouple boys in skirts from boys being transgender or gay......

I never had any sisters ...so I could never try on their clothes ...when my female cousins came to stay..we did not explore wearing each others clothes.
When we became teenagers the boys who had sisters became more interested their own girlfriends
than the boys who did not have sisters... .....It is a strange sort of mix of groups of boys and groups of girls.....and the boys who took girls as lifetime partners

After I had been to Art College in Plymouth and worked in London I became more interested in my own girly skirt wardrobe.....

It is interesting that I have explored the social scene and run into some unusual community gender and fashion styles in my life time
My personal style has developed into a hetrosexual male who is a " Man in a Skirt " ..I love my mature female friends who are now over fifties grannies.

I find that in my travels folks do not fit into boxes.....I blame my parents for not teaching me how to wear a skirt as a boy.....there again my young
boyhood boy chums who had sisters never wore skirts ....so where do we start and where do we finish ?

It does seem that our female generation took to wearing trousers in the swinging sixties but the sixties male did not have the Man In skirts option
off the fashion shelf........
Carl has my permission to move this post to a different section or start a new thread as this perspective of male life style has always confused me......
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

I did not think the article was exclusively about supporting neutral gender.
Moran will present her school uniform bill to the House of Commons on 6 March.
she said: ‘We’re not trying to make everyone wear trousers for example, it’s about giving people more choice.
‘Would the boys want to wear the skirts? Maybe they would, and what’s wrong with that?
‘I see nothing wrong with that whatsoever.’

"Not only that, but all children and young people benefit from being able to wear a uniform they feel comfortable in."

Some people might assume that all the boys wearing skirts were trans but we shouldn't be put off by people making an ass with U & me, or we wouldn't wear skirts ourselves.
It would be great if boys could choose to wear skirts. This is alot better than the model of insisting that girls and boys all wear pants.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

I agree with the comments made by some on here that it's time we broke the automatic link that is made between boys wearing skirts and them having gender identity issues. This does not occur when girls wear trousers - nobody assumes a girl in pants must be trans. Boys should be able to wear skirts as boys.

Nevertheless, this could potentially be a good development IF schools embraced the idea and that was transmitted to retailers. If all school uniforms are supposed to be gender neutral and even the law regards them as such, as this MP is trying to assert, then retailers should be marketing them accordingly and that means to first stop referring them as "girls' skirts" and secondly to show boys wearing them in their advertising, brochures etc. Now that would be a monumental development, but I'm not holding my breath!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Stu wrote:Boys should be able to wear skirts as boys.
That's the main thrust that I want to see.
Nevertheless, this could potentially be a good development IF schools embraced the idea and that was transmitted to retailers. If all school uniforms are supposed to be gender neutral and even the law regards them as such, as this MP is trying to assert, then retailers should be marketing them accordingly and that means to first stop referring them as "girls' skirts" and secondly to show boys wearing them in their advertising, brochures etc. Now that would be a monumental development, but I'm not holding my breath!
That would, indeed, be monumental, but unless the trans-* linkage can be broken would be a Pyrrhic victory.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

It is difficult to suggest at what age a boy should wear a skirt to school......If the boy was forced into a skirt by his mother at five years old
and all the other boys wore skirts to school until they were sixteen.... there would be no problem.....

Most of our Scottish Members are not old enough to remember that in the forties and fifties in certain regions of Scotland, Boys were forced into the Kilt
at four years old and were thrashed if they did not wear their kilt correctly....Some of my friends talk of continuous Kilt wearing ,and no trousers
in their wardrobe until they left school....this is a confidence building lesson in Kilt wearing. Some Scots today do not know how to wear a Kilt
or a skirt correctly.

I saw one wee laddie in a Kilt Hire Shop trying on his Hire Kilt without taking off his trousers......
I understood that he was attending a Kilt Wearing School Ball.....I am not sure how he expected to Pull The Birds if he did not know how
to wear his Kilt.....I expect all the Cruel Lassies were sitting in a group and laughing at his antics..........L O L
Last edited by weeladdie18 on Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Transgender

Gay

Liberal

The three stereotypes of the male skirt wearer. (At least in the media)

I agree, it's getting tiresome. Fortunately, I get the feeling that most (and by most I mean 99%) of the locals assume I'm just a man in a skirt... a crazy man in a skirt, a foolish man in a skirt, a weird man in a skirt, but very few (as in... 2 to date) have assumed I was transgender. And that's out of thousands of interactions.

Trans is a fad. I suspect in a hundred years it won't matter.

Why?

Because frankly it's too damned confusing.

In fact I think it's already starting to die down.... Then again, I haven't caught a news story in ages... I just know the locals haven't started showing up with torches and pitch forks, so I assume all is well.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

If “trans” is dying down it’s because of the fact that for our successor generations, the concept that Creation is imperfect is undeniable. Too, they understand and accept that it is a simpler matter to reconcile the body to the mind than vice versa. I’d argue that the next gens are well ahead of us in social evolution, and we might do well to catch up with them in our own thinking.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

moonshadow wrote: Trans is a fad. I suspect in a hundred years it won't matter.

Why?

I'm with you here, Moon. I've devoted way too much time and way too many brain cells trying to make sense of it.

I think I understand what's going on at this point, but I'm still not sure how to help these folks who are caught up on it all, other than to show them (by example) that there is another way to be yourself than to try and impersonate the other sex.
moonshadow wrote: In fact I think it's already starting to die down.... Then again, I haven't caught a news story in ages... I just know the locals haven't started showing up with torches and pitch forks, so I assume all is well.
I hope you are correct here as well. I think I'm starting to see cracks form in the dam, metaphorically speaking, but it's hard to say.
dillon wrote:If “trans” is dying down it’s because of the fact that for our successor generations, the concept that Creation is imperfect is undeniable.
People have acknowledged the brokenness of creation for centuries, millennia even. It has been called the effect of the Fall, as well as other things. This is nothing new for people to get.
dillon wrote: Too, they understand and accept that it is a simpler matter to reconcile the body to the mind than vice versa. I’d argue that the next gens are well ahead of us in social evolution, and we might do well to catch up with them in our own thinking.
I don't buy this at all. Fixing the mind is very hard, but altering the body does no good. We shouldn't pressure people into chemical/hormonal changes and surgeries as a "fix" for being a bit out of the ordinary mentally or emotionally.

We need all kinds of people, and I pray that one day everyone can be themselves and follow their interests no matter which sex they are, without being labeled as homosexual or transgender.
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

moonshadow wrote:
Transgender

Gay

Liberal

The three stereotypes of the male skirt wearer. (At least in the media)

I agree, it's getting tiresome. Fortunately, I get the feeling that most (and by most I mean 99%) of the locals assume I'm just a man in a skirt... a crazy man in a skirt, a foolish man in a skirt, a weird man in a skirt, but very few (as in... 2 to date) have assumed I was transgender. And that's out of thousands of interactions.

Trans is a fad. I suspect in a hundred years it won't matter.

Why?

In fact I think it's already starting to die down.... Then again, I haven't caught a news story in ages... I just know the locals haven't started showing up with torches and pitch forks, so I assume all is well.
Funnily enough, I don't fit any of the three stereotypes. Nor does Dan. I love watching the muggles heads implode when they discover that I don't fit anything they try to jam me into.

That said, like in your case, nobody has tried to jam me into a box in a long time. Partly because I've been doing it so long that it really is normal.
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

My observations are that young schoolgirls and schoolboys dress according to their gender...............
Their mothers dress themselves in any female style they see fit to wear............................
When the Male reaches an age of maturity he may wish to cross the isle and wear a skirt as we have individually done....
Men in Skirts is a style which we have adopted....the style was not forced upon us ,as a group of skirt wearers, by fashion change.

Our Men in Skirts style was not promoted by gender disorientation.....
From my observations out in the wild , one cannot earmark gender disorientation by the style of clothes being worn .

With regard to the boy at school; It is reasonable to assume that the boy may wear a skirt to school if he wishes ,
..but he cannot have access to his school skirt unless his school allows him to wear a skirt as part of his uniform....
...and his parents considerer they are justified in providing him with a school skirt....as part of the uniformity of his school uniform
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

If one considers the uniformity of our female Prime Minister in the U.K..........sometimes she wears her traditional skirt.........
At other times she wears her trousers..............L.O.L.