Out and About -- In the World at Large

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by weeladdie18 »

Thank you Ray for providing a mature assessment of this somewhat delicate subject...Some of the School Girl members of the Kilt Police who acted with some zeal
regarding their curiousity of younger Kilted School Boys....might nowadays be accused of sexually assaulting Kilted School Boys.....and might be
branded as sexual perverts by a County Court Judge............Weeladdie
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

In 2019 some of these young Female Kilt Police would now be over Eighty Years Old.......
Some Kilties might refer to These Charming but Formidable Scottish Lassies as......... Old Dragons....

Back in the Fifties 500 Scottish Families moved south with the Admiralty and other government departments.....One of the pastimes of this
Scottish Community was live out their Family Heritage ....The lassies dance the Scottish Country Dances with their male partners wearing their
Traditional Scottish Kilts.....One of my neighbours and I danced with this Kilt Wearing Community for over thirty years.....

One of the worst crimes a lassie could commit was to arrive at a Scottish Highland Ball wearing a pattern of evening dress
which another lassie was already wearing.

There were usually over 50 Kilties at these Highland Balls......
The only comment I will make is that a Kiltie has to know how to wear the Traditional Scottish Kilt with Pride if he wishes to be correctly attired for the
Pomp and Ceremony of one of these black tie events with a Live Scottish Country Band and the Clan Tartans hanging on the walls of the Ballroom.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

crfriend wrote:Reasons all for not wearing The Kilt. Too much grief and too much abuse over niggling little details. 'Tis a great way to put folks off the notion!
Well said Sir.....I trust you are aware that if a Kiltie attends a Scottish Country Dance Class , He would wear his Day Kilt and Jacket..
When he attends a Black Tie evening event , he wears an entirely different Traditional Scottish Kilt outfit

The implication is that is if one does not own a Scottish Castle one might not have a enough wardrobe space for all ones Traditional Scottish Highland Dress
as worn today............L.O.L.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Sinned wrote:Nice one pelmut. :lol:

WL. Carl [0], I disagree, comment and unless provoked further move on as the sands of time are want to do. No sense in wasting time and energy over past battles. Now what were we talking about.

[0] Nice intelligent and thoughtful answer, Carl. Just what I would have expected of you. 8)
Please remember Gentlemen ,.a quote was made...... " We are supposed to be Adults " ..... ............weeladdie
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

STEVIE wrote:I had a very nice walk in the sunshine today. Frosty sharp spring day, just what the doctor ordered.
Wine skirt and grey jacket combo which was comfy for the weather.
I even had a couple of conversations with neighbours who haven't seen me in a while too.
No disparaging looks or comments. That is what I call out and about in the world at large.
Steve.
Well done Stevie ...We have had plenty of rain ...grey with a strong wind and heavy rain yesterday....a large and wet world .. could be yours today..

I hope my post to Ray answered your Questions .....I collapsed on a café floor a week ago.....not a successful way to spend time out in the World at Large.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Trip to Glasgow yesterday. Short red cord skirt as per my pics thread, with grey tights, navy blue sweater and blue suede shoes with red soles. Also a stripy polo shirt in navy, red and grey, but sadly it was never on display to show off this spectacular effort at coordinating my outfit.

Mrs SS and a pal had gone up to Glasgow earlier, to listen to a couple of talks in a book festival or something. Then I joined them for a trip to the art gallery, a bite to eat and a gin festival. Back in the old days this sort of arrangement could end badly, because I would take the opportunity to wear a skirt without her being there to ask me not to, then she would moan at me for half the evening about it. But she is more relaxed about the skirts now, and besides, the last time we went out I wore my black jeans. So I reckoned it would be fine, and I was right.

I was a bit early to meet them so I nipped into a barber's for a haircut. When the customer before me got out the chair, he recognised me. We had been a few years apart at school. So we chatted for a couple of minutes and he went on his way.

Then off to the gallery to see a temporary exhibition and have a wander round the permanent collection.

After our meal, the gin festival in the conference centre had about 50 exhibitors all pouring free samples in the hope that you would buy a G&T or a bottle. And of course hundreds of punters there, slowly getting drunk.

And the train home, where we struck up conversation with half a dozen fellow passengers who were also three sheets to the wind.

Was my skirt obvious? Yes, it's bright red.
Did many people see it? Hundreds, maybe a thousand, and not just a fleeting glance as we hurried past each other, busy with whatever.
Did many of them do a double take? Hundreds, I should think. I noticed plenty. In particular the two men involved in the conversation on the train home had their eyes boggling, they just couldn't get their heads round the concept of a man in a skirt and tights.

Final question: what was the score, good comments v bad?
Clue: this is Scotland, the home of reticence.
Answer: nil-nil. Not one word from anybody. Not the guy from school. Not the half-drunk gin drinkers, even when we bumped into the same group of women again and again and chatted to them. Not even the four garrulous women and two incredulous men on the train. But it was still a fine day out, letting the world see that a man can wear a skirt!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Late result just in: my wife has just informed me that her pal (female) thinks I have good legs. Though as she didn't tell me herself, it doesn't count as a tie-breaker. But :D :D :D anyway!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Alastair, you can't get any better than that for an outing in a skirt. It sounds like your OH is becoming more accustomed to you wearing skirts out and about. So enjoy!!
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Alastair,
I regularly see a fair selection of my wife's friends and acquaintances some going back as far as primary school.
I'd be very surprised if there were no comments made with regard to my attire but Mrs K has never repeated any back to me.
Today, I was going onto a bus as one of her church chums was coming off. Knowing the lady in question, she would at least have said that she saw me.
I was wearing the black and gold embroidered skirt so it was difficult not to notice.
Steve.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Well done Alastair, it certainly does look as if Mrs SS is becoming resigned to your skirts. I use the word "resigned" deliberately rather than "accepting" as there is more than just a subtle difference! With "resigned" there is always an implied room for a pointed "barb" at any time. "Acceptance" implies a tacit resignation and realisation that "opposition is futile" as the Vogons are wont to say. Only you would be able to determine which it is.

Anyway, yesterday my daughter gave birth to a little girl after a recorded 7 hour labour. She will probably be home from the hospital today. The weight was a healthy 7lb 1oz. As MOH is at work this gives me an excuse to go into work to tell my colleagues the good news and I will be wearing a skirt, which one is still to be determined. They are used to seeing me in a skirt so it will be no big deal.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Congratulations on becoming a grandfather, Sir!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Thank you so much, Carl. It's actually the 8th time - 6 girls now and 2 boys. The eldest grand-daughter is 17 and maybe in a few years I'll be a great-grandfather. Where does time go to and the prospect of gghhood makes me feel old? Not in the loop as to what the girl's name will be yet.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Congratulations Dennis!! :hooray:

I have hit the Great Granddad mark as of three years ago. If that happens I know you will love it too. :lol:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Thanks Fred. I saw and held her for the first time last night. She'd just been fed so was asleep and quiet. What a privilege.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Congratulations on the new addition to the family, sinned.

You make a nice distinction there about "resigned" v "accepting", and my wife is definitely resigned. I still get the occasional remark when she is already in a bad mood about something else.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair