Rain rain rain rain rain rain rain.....

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
trainspotter48
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Rain rain rain rain rain rain rain.....

Post by trainspotter48 »

Continuing on from Carl's comment, this is why 'protection against lightning' involves placing a vertical rod on top of the structure, and a series of rods into the ground at the base connected together by the shortest, straightest route of copper (or more usually today, aluminium) tape to provide a low resistance path. It is the 'bypass' principle in practice.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I'm honestly not an expert on the science of water conductivity, but I think what causes the worst shocks is a good connection to ground. You can touch a live 13kv line and be perfectly fine, provided you're not grounded. That's why birds don't get popped when they land on one. Interestingly I notice I've never seen birds land on the really large 500kv lines. I do know they put off one hell of a charge, so much that you can light a florescent bulb standing under them, and they also are quite noisy, perhaps thats why birds don't like them.

You can get shocked through water, I know from experience. I got a tingle from a fan motor that was shorting through its frame, which was in a puddle of water. I happened to reach down to grab something in the same puddle and got a tingle. I was standing about 20 feet away from the fan.

Also a lot of steamers and ice machines have probes that read through the conductivity of water.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Pure water (distilled, de-ionised) has very little conductivity. Most other waters are conductive to various degrees. Water filtered through reverse osmosis process has a conductivity of 5 uS/cm microSeimens per centimetre), water from my rain water tank is 35 uS/cm, water from the town bore is 1350 and water remaining in pools in the river is just under 3000 uS/cm. I am often measuring this because it is an indication of salt content which if too high, is bad for our health and will kill many plants. Sea water is about 50,000 uS/cm.
I learnt about the conductivity of water when I was a little boy, as we were taught that the word bath did not contain a silent "P". My father used to come in with a magneto and 2 wires and say that if we had pee'd in the bath we would get a shock. He never wound the handle but it certained disuaded my brother and I from breaking the rule.

The adult son of a friend of mine was struck by lightning on a beach and died. It can happen.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

crfriend wrote:
pelmut wrote:Theoretically, if the water was more conductive than human tissue, it should act as a shield and by-pass most of the current from a nearby lightning strike - but I wouldn't be prepared to bet my life on that.
It'd have to be vastly more conductive that human tissue, and even then it's likely that a fair bit of current will pass through the human simply by the laws of electricity. It'd also depend on precise circumstances, e.g. where the strike was, where the bottom is, where the person is, &c. In other words, it'd be very tough to predict an outcome with any degree of certainty.
Well, I have always been advised that it is unpleasant to urinate on an electric fence. (Even though fence energizers pulse with high voltage but low amperage the “tingle” would be transmitted through a body part I’d rather not test!) Ironically, I am one of the few people I know who worked with power fence that did not succumb to a dare to try it. :shock:
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

dillon wrote:Well, I have always been advised that it is unpleasant to urinate on an electric fence. (Even though fence energizers pulse with high voltage but low amperage the “tingle” would be transmitted through a body part I’d rather not test!) Ironically, I am one of the few people I know who worked with power fence that did not succumb to a dare to try it. :shock:
The MythBusters did a segment many years ago about doing that on the third rail. It turns out the "stream" is discontinuous and therefore non-conductive. 600 volts can't pass [0] through it. Several thousand might, but would visually quite apparent due to the arcing [1].

[0] That was originally an accident but I decided to let it go.
[1] And I'd imagine a pretty hefty stink.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Fence energizers pulse at up to 9000 volts but only 0.5 ampere. It gets your attention but won’t kill you.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

And the weather gets worse...

My heart goes out to the families and communities in Alabama and Georgia struck by tornadoes yesterday. More than two dozen fatalities and entire communities obliterated. This catastrophic tornado may have stayed on ground for sixty-five miles. They are still recovering bodies.

Meanwhile, here, the dreariness continues. We are getting about five continuous days of rain, clouds, fog, and drizzle punctuated by a “teaser” day of sunshine, but not nearly enough to dry us out. The forecast is for more of the same over the next week. Ugh. I know people live in places where that’s normal, but I’m ready to leave for New Mexico. If every winter was this bleak and mucky, I’d be inclined to hang myself.

The warm humidity has all our fruit crops, strawberries and blueberries in my region but peaches and apples over other parts of the Carolinas, already blooming, weeks early. And we’re looking at temperatures hitting the low 20s F here this week, which puts us at the limits of practical frost and freeze protection. Looks like another tough year for small farms ahead, and just as I am preparing to get back into the avocation.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

I awoke an hour earlier than usual this morning to find snow falling, somewhat unexpectedly. The forecast allowed for a snow-rain mix, but it appears we will have an inch or two accumulation of heavy wet snow, just in the central coastal counties. March has produced some heavy snowstorms in North Carolina but rarely down east, where many ornamentals had begun an early bloom. The golden daffodils make quite a contrast against the snow. Freaky weather.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

The Alabama tornado was determined to have been an EF4, winds up to 170 mph. It was a mile wide. Some survivors lost their entire immediate families.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

The weather here is very much yo-y0. One day wet and temperatures in the low 40's then today T-shirt weather. Tomorrow is said to be wet again which incidentally is my day off. Sometimes we have had a temperature difference between north and south of this island of 15 degrees.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Just a temperature dip during rain on Mar 3rd, Sunday. We were 10 floors up in Leopardstown (S. Dublin) playing afternoon bridge with friends, looking out at the misty rainy gloom occluding much of the landscape, when mid-afternoon the outside temp got down to 1 deg.C and the heavy rain turned to snow. By the time we left, the entire region was all white rooftops and our 35-minute journey home took two and a quarter hours!

It's the inevitable skidding shunts that muddy the pitch for the rest of us and cause 20-mile bumper-to-bumber tail backs.

It was only a couple of inches & the whole lot was gone by mid-day Monday.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
john62
Member Extraordinaire

Post by john62 »

Last night IT RAINED, not enough but a start. Had to put the coat on the greyhound for the morning walk it was that cold ,13C

John
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

It just shows how perceptions are. 13C cold???? Over here 13C is very nearly T-shirt weather. Not quite, maybe T-shirt and a jumper.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Today, Wednesday , we had plenty of rain on the ground ..All the ditches are full ,up to the road level...Roads flooded in places ....temp up to 13 C
Heavy shower at lunch time.....Much of rain drained away after lunch....Ground soggy again.....Heavy showers come in from the west........

Last Friday the Sand from the Sahara Dust Storm arrived in Southern U K......I understand that this is the time of year for Sahara Dust Storms
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

In the UK I remember two Sahara dust invasions, but cannot remember what time of year they arrived. I lived in Primrose Hill, London NW3 in the late 60s and once woke up to a blanket of dust encrusting every parked vehicle for miles around, including my own. Later on in Hampshire we got quite a dusting overnight and that was in the early 80s.
Perhaps due to our predominant Westerlies I have not observed that phenomenon here in Ireland. We do however, get plenty of RAIN. :blue: which I am told, comes from somewhere else!

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !