Rain rain rain rain rain rain rain.....

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Rain rain rain rain rain rain rain.....

Post by denimini »

Scary as it is, once that event is over, it is probably good that you know how your property stands up to such events, as dare I say it; with the lack of action on global warming there will be more of it.
Gee, those land slides are a worry.

.............. and we get nothing here.
Last edited by denimini on Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:20 am, edited 3 times in total.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

I put a poem here but felt it was too much of a thread drift as it was about dry conditions only.
So here is one that includes flooding rain:
"Said Hanrahan" is a poem written by the Australian bush poet John O'Brien, the pen name of Roman Catholic priest Patrick Joseph Hartigan.

SAID HANRAHAN
"We'll all be rooned," said Hanrahan,
In accents most forlorn,
Outside the church, ere Mass began,
One frosty Sunday morn.

The congregation stood about,
Coat-collars to the ears,
And talked of stock, and crops, and drought,
As it had done for years.

"It's lookin' crook," said Daniel Croke;
"Bedad, it's cruke, me lad,
For never since the banks went broke
Has seasons been so bad."

"It's dry, all right," said young O'Neil,
With which astute remark
He squatted down upon his heel
And chewed a piece of bark.

And so around the chorus ran
"It's keepin' dry, no doubt."
"Before the year is out.

"The crops are done; ye'll have your work
To save one bag of grain;
From here way out to Back-o'-Bourke
They're singin' out for rain.

"They're singin' out for rain," he said,
"And all the tanks are dry."
The congregation scratched its head,
And gazed around the sky.

"There won't be grass, in any case,
Enough to feed an ass;
There's not a blade on Casey's place
As I came down to Mass."

"If rain don't come this month," said Dan,
And cleared his throat to speak--
"If rain don't come this week."

A heavy silence seemed to steal
On all at this remark;
And each man squatted on his heel,
And chewed a piece of bark.

"We want a inch of rain, we do,"
O'Neil observed at last;
But Croke "maintained" we wanted two
To put the danger past.

"If we don't get three inches, man,
Or four to break this drought,
We'll all be rooned," said Hanrahan,
"Before the year is out."

In God's good time down came the rain;
And all the afternoon
On iron roof and window-pane
It drummed a homely tune.

And through the night it pattered still,
And lightsome, gladsome elves
On dripping spout and window-sill
Kept talking to themselves.

It pelted, pelted all day long,
A-singing at its work,
Till every heart took up the song
Way out to Back-o'Bourke.

And every creek a banker ran,
And dams filled overtop;
"If this rain doesn't stop."

And stop it did, in God's good time;
And spring came in to fold
A mantle o'er the hills sublime
Of green and pink and gold.

And days went by on dancing feet,
With harvest-hopes immense,
And laughing eyes beheld the wheat
Nid-nodding o'er the fence.

And, oh, the smiles on every face,
As happy lad and lass
Through grass knee-deep on Casey's place
Went riding down to Mass.

While round the church in clothes genteel
Discoursed the men of mark,
And each man squatted on his heel,
And chewed his piece of bark.

"There'll be bush-fires for sure, me man,
There will, without a doubt;
We'll all be rooned," said Hanrahan,
"Before the year is out."

John O'Brien
Last edited by denimini on Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

crfriend wrote:
moonshadow wrote:Not combat fencing silly goose. :lol:
If it was combat-fencing we'd be talking about concertina-wire. {duck-and-cover}
I ad an uncle who played one of those concertina wire thingies :!: :!: :rofl:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

moonshadow wrote:
r.m.anderson wrote:If this keeps up were going to have to find Noah and built another Ark with skies on it to cover all the global warming bases !
Gl**al w***ming? Cl**ate ch**ge?

We dare not even speak of such things in Appalachia... that's a good way to get shot buddy...!

It doesn't matter if it's scientifically sound anymore, it's nothing but politics at this point, so I don't even bring it up.

We prefer to stick our heads in the sand... thankfully I've got more sand in my backyard than most hillbillies do. The fact that it's saturated with sh!t simply sweetens the deal! :mrgreen:

God I need to see the sun... I'm getting cranky as hell...! :twisted:
Appalachia better get used to it, just as the northern states better get used to immense snowfall. As the climate, and subsequently the oceans warm, there will be more water in the atmosphere. What goes up will eventually come down. As polar ice diminishes, there will be more wobbling of the jet stream and more polar vortexes (vortices?) At any rate, weather will be a conundrum. Those who ignore the science, which, admittedly, can a bit complicated and dense, will continue to try and simplify the problem to a matter of expecting the weather to be consistently warmer, every day of the year. That has never been in the model; it has always been presumed that there would still be cold snowy winters and perhaps mild wet summers. Climate change is measured in averages around the globe, and those temperature averages are getting warmer. The evidence is most pronounced at the polar extremes. The overly simplistic concept of every day being warmer has become part of the anecdotal argument against science in political circles at any time that the weather of the moment deviates from that unscientific disinformation. But we are where we are. Even if we do the right thing and try to reduce our carbon emissions, we are deep into the snowball acceleration of the consequences and we have to deal with the inevitable costs and painful adaptation necessary to confront the changes.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I know Dillon, I know....

These people don't care, and I just dont have the political chops to effectively change any minds. I'm not a climatologist or a scientist. I'm just a lone man with a strange fashion sense, surrounded by flat earthers, holy rollers, snake handlers, and a majority of people who believe that no matter what, "the lord will provide".

*sighs* I dunno man... :|
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

moonshadow wrote:I know Dillon, I know....

These people don't care, and I just dont have the political chops to effectively change any minds. I'm not a climatologist or a scientist. I'm just a lone man with a strange fashion sense, surrounded by flat earthers, holy rollers, snake handlers, and a majority of people who believe that no matter what, "the lord will provide".

*sighs* I dunno man... :|
Well, I cannot dispute anyone's faith in the Almighty, but if they are putting their faith in the current government or in the coal industry, they are playing a losing hand.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

dillon wrote:but if they are putting their faith in the current government or in the coal industry, they are playing a losing hand.
Well, that's pretty much what's going on.

I can't say much anymore. I'm reminded if my own hypocrisy. I'm sure my carbon foot print is larger than I'd like to admit. I'd love to be a part if the solution, but I still have electricity and still drive a vehicle that burns fossil fuels.

The infrastructure simply doesn't exist in this part of the world to truly "live green". Appalachia is NOT Holland. And the local leaders, state delegates and congressman Griffith panders to the coal industry, and this region is so deeply entrenched in those type of politics, it will be a cold day in hell before anything changes.

You can be a creepy crossdresser and survive in Appalachia relatively unharrassed.... but speaking out against coal puts you on dangerous ground.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

moonshadow wrote:
dillon wrote:but if they are putting their faith in the current government or in the coal industry, they are playing a losing hand.
Well, that's pretty much what's going on.

I can't say much anymore. I'm reminded if my own hypocrisy. I'm sure my carbon foot print is larger than I'd like to admit. I'd love to be a part if the solution, but I still have electricity and still drive a vehicle that burns fossil fuels.

The infrastructure simply doesn't exist in this part of the world to truly "live green". Appalachia is NOT Holland. And the local leaders, state delegates and congressman Griffith panders to the coal industry, and this region is so deeply entrenched in those type of politics, it will be a cold day in hell before anything changes.

You can be a creepy crossdresser and survive in Appalachia relatively unharrassed.... but speaking out against coal puts you on dangerous ground.
There is no rural place in the first or second worlds where people can live green. In the third world, perhaps, but only because of poverty so staggering the populous cannot afford the luxury of a consumption society. It is the way we build our cities that is our problem. They are built not for people but for automobiles. That’s a product of post-Ford development. We had the chance to model our urban life after the rural life we left behind, did so gratefully, and found it a fine lifestyle. We didn’t imagine the consequences of taking all that sequestered carbon from deep in the Earth and dumping it willy-nilly into the atmosphere. Lack of foresight is not a damnable fault, but our failure to respond effectively once we knew the seriousness of the problem has become a dangerous fault.

Climate change is the fault of ALL OF US, but the lack of response has been mostly the fault of those who bought and sold politicians to protect their vested interests, rather than saying “Let’s find a way to fix this together, since we all share in the carbon fuel economy.” But it’s the same as the politics du jour, easier to deny that which doesn’t fit a narrative that affirms our lifestyle, certifies our belief system. So we pick leaders who tell us all the bad news is fake, don’t worry, everything you’ve been doing is just fine.

Not to be morose, but the somewhat pretentious words of T. S. Eliot come to mind:

This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang but with a whimper
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Sorry to delete post if anyone was commenting...

My thoughts were getting pretty dark and they don't need a written account. You don't get out of a rut by digging the hole deeper.

I have my issues with what I witness in society. I'll do what I can and accept what I cant.
-Andrea
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Moon,

The Serenity Prayer

God give me the serenity to accept what I cannot change,
The courage to change what I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.

I'm trying to get MOH to understand it so that maybe she can accept my skirts even if she doesn't agree with me wearing them.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Excellent response Dennis. Thanks!
-Andrea
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Being the wiseguy I am, I'll offer this just to make it a bit more weird [0]. For, indeed, we are all flukes of the universe.

In all seriousness, though, I get precisely how bad this morass we've found ourselves in is, and I'd counsel expending one's energy on matters where actual change can be effected. A corollary to that is, "Don't waste precious energy fighting things that you cannot change." BTDT. 2015. Got the scars, but not the t-shirt. At least the PTSD is gone.

[0] "I before E except after C"? But what about "weird"? Gotta love English.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Thank you for that take off. Amusing and mostly true, if scary.

"weird" is not the only word that's the exception to the rule. Abseil, ageing, albeit, atheist, freight, seeing, vein come readily to mind but I'm sure that there are lots of others.

Then there are words that are spelt the opposite way - ancient, deficiency, science, society are the ones in mind. And yes, English is weird but is comprised of words from many other languages. I'm just grateful that not many African words have permeated our tongue. Some of their spellings, particularly of names are strange and I wouldn't know how to pronounce them. Interestingly, at work I hear a lot of names in the course of my duties and I do make a reasonably high percentage of spellings from the said name or pronunciation from the spelt name.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

beachlion wrote:Moon, I feel with you.
It looks like the Dutch weather. So they should just copy the Dutch. The Dutch built dikes to keep the land dry and they built windmills to get the water outside the dikes. For centuries the Dutch have dry feet. They even reclaimed about 25% of the land now. The last century however saw a switch from wind to steam, Diesel and gas power.
Dutch weather? At present 72F, everybody on the beach...
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

Gusto10 wrote:
beachlion wrote:Moon, I feel with you.
It looks like the Dutch weather. So they should just copy the Dutch. The Dutch built dikes to keep the land dry and they built windmills to get the water outside the dikes. For centuries the Dutch have dry feet. They even reclaimed about 25% of the land now. The last century however saw a switch from wind to steam, Diesel and gas power.
Dutch weather? At present 72F, everybody on the beach...
I was talking of old-fashioned Dutch weather, not the current result of climate change. It looks like it is high time to plant some palmtrees on the boulevard of Scheveningen. ;)
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak