I have a dumb question...

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Re: I have a dumb question...

Post by Dust »

STEVIE wrote:Hi Guys,
In the UK, the boots illustrated would be called Chelsea Boots and not associated with any kind of agricultural work.
Thanks! I'd heard that term before, but wasn't confident it went with those things. Not sure what the point of them is, but I won't tell people what to wear (or not) unless they are looking for help.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Dust,
Chelsea boots are a fashion item, no more, no less.
Their only practical value is slightly added protection over low top shoes in bad weather.
That, and easier to don than a laced boot.
They do have some association as wear for the wheeler dealers of the world.
Hence the other name.
I have had a few versions over the years since the 70s and they are perfectly good around town but certainly not a hiking boot.
Steve.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

crfriend wrote:
STEVIE wrote:In the UK, the boots illustrated would be called Chelsea Boots and not associated with any kind of agricultural work.
I'm guessing there's a linkage in there to Chelsea Tractors. What's so awful about Chelsea?
Chelsea is a district of London where the rich and famous pop stars , fashion designers and fashion models made popular in the swinging sixties.........

The Chelsea Tractor is a large and indestructible car traditionally driven by Mad Mothers to transport their children to school in Urban England.

Since their relocation to the rural Countryside it is best to avoid the school routes used by the Mad Mothers as their driving skills do not match those
of the rural school bus drivers.....Convoys of these highly polished vehicles head for the rural village schools every morning of term time.

I remember the elasticated sided male fashion boot known as the Chelsea Boot becoming popular in the Swinging Sixties
Kilted Musician
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted Musician »

To those who wear cowboy boots... never squat with your spurs on... :lol:

--Rick
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Kilted Musician wrote:To those who wear cowboy boots... never squat with your spurs on... :lol:

--Rick
He,he, yes.
There are a lot of things not to do wearing spurs. I think the reason old Landrovers had bare metal floors. It might even be the reason for the steel hulled rowing boat (in Mini Skirt Weather thread).
Even changing skirts can be dodgy :)
Thankfully, for horses, they are not used alot except for dressage.
Last edited by denimini on Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
pepsie1

Post by pepsie1 »

I think it's time for this thread to end. No one so far has a clue about which they speak.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

pepsie1 wrote:I think it's time for this thread to end. No one so far has a clue about which they speak.
That is the problem we have with "I have a dumb question..." answering with a dumb answer !

The problem with ending a thread is - has it been thoroughly beaten or flogged to death trying to derive another post getting the same result ?
In most cases these threads die off of their own volition - patience - simply do not participate any further - ignore it and it won't bother you anymore !

Meanwhile - - -
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

The military would call it “mission creep.” I really only wondered why cowboy boots, the garb of the right wing, were being advertised on left-leaning television networks. Oh well, ask a question, ya get an answer, regardless of its relationship to the original inquiry. :lol:
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

dillon wrote:Oh well, ask a question, ya get an answer, regardless of its relationship to the original inquiry. :lol:
Aren't you glad that I didn't throw my two cents worth in there?

Suffice it to say that the average wearer of "cowboy boots" wouldn't recognise a cow if she nuzzled him. (And I've got an absolutely hilarious parachutist's story about bovines from above and where to make an emergency landing. He chose poorly, but fortunately lived to tell the tale.)
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Have I been asleep..and missed the story ?....or have I just lost the plot ?????????????
john62
Member Extraordinaire

Post by john62 »

On the news last night a paraglider landed in a field and was set upon by kangeroos, he filmed it with his helmut camera, he escaped uninjuried.

John
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

dillon wrote:The military would call it “mission creep.” I really only wondered why cowboy boots, the garb of the right wing, were being advertised on left-leaning television networks. Oh well, ask a question, ya get an answer, regardless of its relationship to the original inquiry. :lol:
"Garb of the right wing"? Heh heh. Those kinds of distinctions really make more sense in our heads than anywhere else. Commercials cost significant money. Those ads can only be justified by the audience viewing them.

Last year my wife and I visited Calgary Alberta, a Conservative stronghold for as long as I can remember. Calgary is famous for its "Stampede" rodeo, and for its many oil-company headquarters. In person, my expectations of these "conservative" westerners was shattered. Hugely diverse population, a mayor named Naheed Kurban Nenshi, and nary a second glance at my skirt, even when we went into a tack shop looking at cowboy shirts, boots and hats, or even out in the countryside.

You will never see a prettier crop of shirts and boots than those in an Alberta tack shop, I swear. Yes, it's mostly for show, but the rodeo is a big part of the show. Cowboy boots are the only men's footwear that can rival women's for heel heights. A long heel can help cowboys (and can help bikers too) in a number of ways, not least of which being keeping boot in stirrup. So it started out practical, and continues to be so, while also being an aesthetic choice. Not sure it could really be called "fashion", but something like that applies. I think cowboy boots with low heels only exist because many men are afraid to wear anything that might be seen as feminine, and the high heel definitely falls into that space.
Daryl...
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

crfriend wrote:Suffice it to say that the average wearer of "cowboy boots" wouldn't recognise a cow if she nuzzled him.
The average wearer or carrier of timepieces (aka cellphones and watches) knows nothing of gravity's effect on time, even while gravity is keeping them held down to the surface of the planet.

People in cowboy boots don't know cows.

People with watches don't know time.

Worse yet, some people do both at the same time.
Daryl...
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

john62 wrote:On the news last night a paraglider landed in a field and was set upon by kangeroos, he filmed it with his helmut camera, he escaped uninjuried.

John
Wow. That’s the proverbial Looney Tunes cartoon. Elmer Fudd, or Sylvester, or Foghorn Leghorn getting his butt kicked by a kangaroo...

You can’t imagine how alien the phrase “set upon by kangaroos” is to an American. :lol:
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Daryl wrote:
crfriend wrote:Suffice it to say that the average wearer of "cowboy boots" wouldn't recognise a cow if she nuzzled him.
The average wearer or carrier of timepieces (aka cellphones and watches) knows nothing of gravity's effect on time, even while gravity is keeping them held down to the surface of the planet.

People in cowboy boots don't know cows.

People with watches don't know time.

Worse yet, some people do both at the same time.
I would love to go out as a Man in a Skirt and stand by the Town Hall Clock....and watch the World go by
However it is unfortunate that I have not got the time..............................................L.O.L.................weeladdie