Why Most Men Still Don’t Casually Wear Dresses

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Why Most Men Still Don’t Casually Wear Dresses

Post by oldsalt1 »

To Cr and Dave It is obvious that I have had many disagreements with both of you during my Tenure on the café. Cr in this last instance I have to agree with Dave that a lot of your comments on this issue are rude and inappropriate and in nature a personal attack.

And finally I would like to say that I am sick and tired of the cheap snide remarks being made about my President.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

To Carl and Dave,
I have been following this with baited breath as to who will try to kill the other first. As I see it both of you are right to a point and both wrong to a point. I do not believe in boxes or labels. So puting someone in a box or laying a label on them is wrong.

Carl you must remember that Dave lives in the upper West Coast area, and Dave you must remember that Carl lives in the upper East Coast area. Both of these areas are at odd ends of the spectrum from each other.
One is ultra conservitive (Puitanicly) and the other is ultra liberal.

We are not all going to agree with each other at all times and so why don't we bury the hatchet (1) and stop the bickering.

(1) Not in each other sheads either!
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

oldsalt1 wrote:And finally I would like to say that I am sick and tired of the cheap snide remarks being made about my President.
Dan he is President to all of us Americans! I know some do not want to admit it but the fact remains he was elected to be the President of the United States of America.

And I too am tired of the crap that is being piled on by those who do not like him saying he is not their President. The one thing I say to them "There is the door"
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

oldsalt1 wrote:To Cr and Dave It is obvious that I have had many disagreements with both of you during my Tenure on the café. Cr in this last instance I have to agree with Dave that a lot of your comments on this issue are rude and inappropriate and in nature a personal attack.
Some of those, Dan, were actually interesting, and thanks for those. I retain the ability to learn. Disagreements are part and parcel of life in a complex world.

In this current brouhaha I am guilty of a "personal attack" insofar as I reached out and struck a B-flat on Dave's keyboard simply to see what'd happen, and, lo and behold, he sounded a prefect B-flat in response. He dislikes being jammed into an inappropriate "box". This was deliberately done to provoke in him a sense of what he's been doing to others for quite a while now. Whether the lesson was learnt remains to be seen.

I've got a sometimes uncomfortable context with the group here. I genuinely want to interact with the community, but at the same time I'm tasked with keeping it more or less on-topic -- and that topic is "advocating and promoting skirts and kilts as a fashion choice for men" (not the specifically GBT portion of the spectrum, although all have been and remain entirely welcome -- it's a wide tent). Personally, I prefer to do this from a non-administrative position and try to gently steer by example. Sometimes -- clearly -- it doesn't work. Before anybody calls me a "'Net-NAZI", I'll remind the community that I do have absolute and complete power here -- and I'll also ask the community how often that power has been overtly wielded. If memory serves, I've been here for well over a decade, and in that time I've only had to exert overt power less than a handful of times.
And finally I would like to say that I am sick and tired of the cheap snide remarks being made about my President.
I appreciate the angst and distress, but thanks to the mass-media and unlimited propaganda on both "sides" there are about 150 million odd that disagree. I really wish that this was a united country.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

oldsalt1 wrote:And finally I would like to say that I am sick and tired of the cheap snide remarks being made about my President.
Sorry, old salt, if my remarks are at times a bit too biting. Believe me, I am exercising restraint. But you must admit that the President himself provides a “target-rich environment” day after day after day. I suspect you feel our disdain for him more intensely than Trump himself does. If the abundance of easy barbs bothered him as much as it seems to offend his fans, I guess he’d restrain his embarrassing impulses. Apparently almost a third of America finds his outbursts and bizarre tweets entertaining...and a few may even believe them. I can say only that if a man wants others to take him as seriously as he takes himself, he might try absorbing the example of serious men. That example would begin by simply speaking the truth, sans fabrication, exaggeration, and embellishments. However, I sense that would be mentally impossible for “your” President. Sorry, but it’s all hanging out there, like the Emperor’s new clothes.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Dan, as a member of the non-Americans I feel that I can hold up a lot of Americanisms to ridicule and that includes your President. I agree that he does give plenty of opportunities with his demeanour, head rug and comments and were he over here as a resident Brit I assure you that he would get worse treatment form the comedians. Parody, sarcasm, satire are well-honed barbs over here and have been used with dramatic effect certainly since at least the early sixties and probably even before that. We hold up our own politicians to ridicule just the same. If you ever saw any of the episodes of our "Spitting' Image" [1] programmes then you will know what I mean. The Queen [0], Prince Phillip, Maggie Thatcher and loads of others would tune in every week just to enjoy themselves being parodied and insulted. Any politician or other leading figure that is not thick-skinned enough to ignore or even relish such treatment shouldn't be in such a position. At one stage in my early life I did consider trying to get into politics as an M.P. but by then I was married with children and I thought to myself, "Do I really want such a life, living away from home part time, being held up to ridicule and the stresses of public life, just to wallow in the vanity of being out there?" Then reality asserted itself and I concluded that I loved my wife and family more and said, "No!" nand haven't thought about it since.

[0] "Gawd bless her little cotton socks."
[1] I wish that they would bring the programme back - it's needed now more than ever. And you can be sure that Trump Towers and their occupants would be right int he firing line. It would be tooooooo tempting for the writers and He gives out too many opportunities. And I suspect that He would love it!"!!!!
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Once again Carl, Read. My. Posts!

I NEVER said categorically that men who wear skirts are Gay or Bi- or Transgendered, NEVER!

I'm sorry you're so damaged and insecure that you read it that way, but I can't help that.

Before you pull your crap again, READ. MY. POSTS. And read some of the current literature on gender.

Before you think, let alone claim that I fell into your so-called trap, Read My Response.

Dan and Fred, Donald Trump has excluded himself from being most of the American population's President with not only his policies, but more importantly his rhetoric and his whole approach to his office. He was elected President NOT dictator. Unlike Carl, he doesn't have absolute power over anything.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Mod Hat - - - - ON
Dave,
I've read many of your posts. Some I can agree with, others not.
I take them as your opinions, just as I have mine. You even took a simple
comment of mine and blew it out of proportion. With the above post,
your comments are getting out of line. Real yourself back into check.
Your discrediting the POTUS is quite disgraceful, especially to you.
He was duly elected, in proper form, by the citizens of the U.S.
You can't argue with that.

For quite some time, you've been intimating that anyone who doesn't agree
with you, MUST BE REPRIMANDED/BULLIED UNTIL THEY AGREE WITH YOU.
They must dress like you, copy you in all aspects.

Another outburst like you just posted, you'll be placed on moderated status :!:
For this, I'm not joking :!:

This forum is for, and about, Men In Skirts & Kilts. NOTHING MORE :!:
The driving of the forum towards the LBGTQ idiom, which you keep promoting,
is not warranted nor wanted at Skirt Cafe'.

Cool your jets. I've dealt with people who had Asperger's before, and you
are showing this side of yourself more with each of your posts.

So far, you've pushed 8 out of my 10 buttons. I've kept quiet each time.
This time, the 9th button, I'm publicly giving you a warning.
As I stated above,
Another outburst like you just posted, you'll be placed on moderated status :!:
For this, I'm not joking
:!:

Uncle Al

Mod Hat - - - - OFF

This thread is now locked :!:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

After several PM's from members & "Staff", I've unlocked this thread.
It is still a valid topic, one which should be discussed.

PLEASE - Keep on topic, OK :D

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

dillon wrote:
Sorry, old salt, if my remarks are at times a bit too biting. Believe me, I am exercising restraint. But you must admit that the President himself provides a “target-rich environment” day after day after day. I suspect you feel our disdain for him more intensely than Trump himself does. If the abundance of easy barbs bothered him as much as it seems to offend his fans, I guess he’d restrain his embarrassing impulses. Apparently almost a third of America finds his outbursts and bizarre tweets entertaining...and a few may even believe them. I can say only that if a man wants others to take him as seriously as he takes himself, he might try absorbing the example of serious men. That example would begin by simply speaking the truth, sans fabrication, exaggeration, and embellishments. However, I sense that would be mentally impossible for “your” President. Sorry, but it’s all hanging out there, like the Emperor’s new clothes.
Dillion both you and Dave are entitled to your opinions , But I didn't log on to the SKIRT CAFE to hear them.

What we need are some photos of men casually wearing dresses.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

oldsalt1 wrote:What we need are some photos of men casually wearing dresses.
If the local weather ever warms up enough I'll post another few of me in mine. At the moment, it's just too darn cold and wet.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Uncle Al wrote:After several PM's from members & "Staff", I've unlocked this thread.
It is still a valid topic, one which should be discussed.

PLEASE - Keep on topic, OK :D

Uncle Al
Well that's good. My thread is within two pages of catching up with renesm1's thread!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote:At the moment, it's just too darn cold and wet.
I'm thinking of just boxing up all of my skirts except for the Macabi's (rain skirts)... seems like those are the only ones I ever get to wear anymore.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote:I'm thinking of just boxing up all of my skirts except for the Macabi's (rain skirts)... seems like those are the only ones I ever get to wear anymore.
Cue music! The sun'll come up tomorrow! Tomorrow, tomorrow... Of course, "tomorrow" is always a day away.

Don't give up hope! At least not just yet.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

We FINALLY had sunshine today :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny:
I was skirted all day & didn't have to wear a winter coat.
So, Moon & Jenn, it's headed your way.
Will probably take a couple of days,
but (as Carl said) "The Sun Will Come Out - Tomorrow" :sunny:

Uncle Al
Kilted Organist/Musician