GQ magazine is telling us this is going to happen!

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
English_bloke

GQ magazine is telling us this is going to happen!

Post by English_bloke »

Thought you'd all be interested in this little story and all the twitter comments!! Get involved while it's hot!!

https://www.gq.com/story/mens-skirts

https://mobile.twitter.com/GQMagazine/s ... 5750321152
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Re: GQ magazine is telling us this is going to happen!

Post by Ray »

The article starts off with a bit of a sardonic sneer, but finishes well.

I think I’ll wear my black utilikilt with tights to my friends’ house tomorrow. Just to help get the show on the road... :-)
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

GQ's followers on Twit would appear to disagree.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

IMHO I don’t see any of the fashions in their pics happening...anywhere.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Seems that readers are very guarded about their percieved masculinity, not surprising with a magazine that started out as Gentlemen's Quarterly. I think GQ magazine now is a male version of Dolly.
I am so thankful that I don't care - about masculinity or whether skirts will be trendy for men.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Sheeeaat......

That ain't gonna happen! Not in a million years!

Poor old skirtcraft there by his lonesome.... pissing into the wind....

Dem boys don't wanna wear skirts.... they're worried their d--k might fall off.... :roll:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Looks like the same old clown parade on the runway. :clown:
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I don't think shows like this help things.... in fact, I think they might actually make it worse.

Why can't we just have "normal" skirts on display? Look I can respect that most guys won't be adopting the Moon Shadow style, but I think most of the guys on this website wear more practical skirts that stand a better chance of being adopted by other men..... but you never see those types depicted in these articles! It's always this crazy, off the wall stuff.

I can't really fault the commentors... they do look ridiculous.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Quick update.

Today, I wore my black utilikilt with black tshirt, sheer Wolford nude tights, grey walking socks and walking boots. I was with my wife at the house of a friend and his wife for a languid lunch. No eyes were batted. I got a compliment (friend”s wife said “ I like your skirt”) and we focused on the wines - a wonderful combination of USA (Rhys), France (Gevrey-Chambertin and a couple of Meursaults, as well as a ‘10 Rieussec) and a stellar 1998 Wynns Michael Shiraz from Australia.

All sensual - just like my outfit.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

moonshadow wrote:Why can't we just have "normal" skirts on display?
You have hit the nail on the head with that question! :D

Instead of a simple, straight or A-line knee length, or a traditional denim etc, the designers are shoving out weird, complicated styles with folds, wrap-overs, things that look like (but aren't) kilts or else extremely femme things with lace and frills. Most of these are unwearable and all are unaffordable. They are designed for the catwalk and maybe some celeb with more money than sense will appear in one at a gala night etc, but these are not designed for ordinary men and will never be seen in the High Street stores.

Have been suggesting for a while that a good starting point would be the simple, unadorned and traditionally-styled knee-length denim being categorised and marketed as unisex in the same way that some jeans are. A few ads showing them being worn by models of both sexes in "rugged" situations like, for example, hill-hiking would show new possibilities that could catch on. The haute couture or bizarre student designs will always be fringe styles only and not an option for 99.99% of males.
kingfish
Member Extraordinaire

Post by kingfish »

The runway experiments, as I see them, are shock value eliminators. The designers push the edge of the envelope of normalcy by producing outlandish outfits, giving themselves creative leeway when manufacturers come looking to contract them. It subliminally widens perspective of normalcy for all that watch. The best case outcome from this is that the critics think more about its otherwise outlandish nature and less on the concept of the outfit being unbifurcated and on a man.

The tone of the article is light years closer than it was just a decade ago.

Things are looking up, gentlemen!
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Perhaps. But you are correct in that there are always fashion shows featuring male skirts or dresses, no matter how ridiculous.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

kingfish wrote:The runway experiments, as I see them, are shock value eliminators. The designers push the edge of the envelope of normalcy by producing outlandish outfits, giving themselves creative leeway when manufacturers come looking to contract them. It subliminally widens perspective of normalcy for all that watch.
Yeah, but for the average male, the idea of even wearing "normal" skirts has shock value. For men the most plain of skirts pushes the envelope to near the breaking point.

The fashion designers show no sign of understanding their would be customers.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Grok wrote:The fashion designers show no sign of understanding their would be customers.
I rather suspect that the designers are aiming their focus at the large corporate buyers than the end consumer. Whilst the buyer is going to be aware of the ways of the designers (which are geared to attract attention), the designer is likely not really thinking about the ultimate consumer on the street. Something stylish that would possibly appeal to the man on the street isn't going to be sufficiently bizarre to capture the eye of, say, a Wal-Mart (or Nordstrom's) buyer (who's buying for Wal-Mart, not the man on the street).
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Interesting that you say that the corporate buyer is buying for the retailer and not the man in the street and this is such an important distinction because of perception differences. This shows that the Marketing function is probably not doing its research properly [1] or still doing it with the usual preconceptions in mind. That is, that sufficient numbers of the ordinary man in the street are not interested in wearing a skirt as part of their wardrobe. From the discussions on this site there probably is a hidden, but unrecognised, demand so does it take one of the big names ASDA/Walmart, Tesco, Seers and others to take the bull by the horns and retail say, 3 or 4 ordinary skirts, say with dual sizing labels [0] but obviously those at the top of the Marketing/Sales ladder aren't feeling the pulse of fashion to take such a chance. Even with growing perceptions of the LBG+ bandwagon. Shame, really.

[0] The label showing men's waist size and women's fictitious or magic numbers that may or may not bear any relation to the size of the garment. Hey, the dual sizing may actually bring some reality into women's sizing, but I doubt it.
[1] Or maybe it is but just can't or doesn't want to believe the results!
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.