How many is enough to normalise us?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Re: How many is enough to normalise us?

Post by weeladdie18 »

I would agree Denimini ....we are getting support for our Men in Skirts from all over the World ,...
so carry on skirting.....Weeladdie
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

weeladdie18 wrote:Some are reminded by Scottish Historians that their Ancestors were certainly members of a particular Scottish Clan but it was unlikely that their ancestors had worn their Clan Tartan at the time they migrated to the New World.....
Much of the migration happened in the 18th and early 19th Centuries and at that time what we know of as the modern kilt did not exist. The modern kilt was invented in the mid 19th Century, and most of the lore regarding ancient tartans and clan association was a fiction to amuse a young Queen Victoria. In short, it's mostly bunk.

Now, I am not slagging off on guys who wear kilts exclusively -- far from it. I'm merely pointing out a set of facts surrounding the garment. If one desires to wear a kilt -- and deal with all the associated baggage that goes with it, do so: you'll add class to a world increasingly bereft of it. Properly done The Kilt [1] is one of the sharpest-looking pieces of male fashion, and may perhaps be the pinnacle of it. However, some of us don't feel the desire to be hamstrung with all the baggage, the Kilt Police, and the incessant and juvenile questioning on what we've got on underneath.
I find it unfortunate that at least 3 members of this website are sufficiently ill bred to make offensive comments against those of us who choose to wear Their Traditional Scottish Kilt With Pride.
I would advise caution when calling folks out regarding their parentage. Bad things happen when that's done, and it's pointless.

[1] It might as well be trade-marked.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Thank you for your interesting Post ..Carl ....In the context of my reference.. " sufficiently ill bred ".. is made regarding
those who are not sufficiently well educated to " mind their P's and Q's " and show some respect for their Elders and Betters.

I trust you will agree that one is ill advised to attempt to wear The Traditional Scottish Kilt without the guidance of
a Local Scottish Kilt Wearing Community..... Weeladdie
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

weeladdie18 wrote:I find it unfortunate that at least 3 members of this website are sufficiently ill bred to make offensive commentsagainst those of us who choose to wear Their Traditional Scottish Kilt With Pride.
I will leave my last word on this subject to oor Rabbie,

“O, wad some Power the giftie gie us
To see oursels as others see us!
It wad frae monie a blunder free us,
An' foolish notion.”

Steve.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

crfriend wrote: Much of the migration happened in the 18th and early 19th Centuries and at that time what we know of as the modern kilt did not exist. The modern kilt was invented in the mid 19th Century, and most of the lore regarding ancient tartans and clan association was a fiction to amuse a young Queen Victoria. In short, it's mostly bunk.

Now, I am not slagging off on guys who wear kilts exclusively -- far from it. I'm merely pointing out a set of facts surrounding the garment. If one desires to wear a kilt -- and deal with all the associated baggage that goes with it, do so: you'll add class to a world increasingly bereft of it. Properly done The Kilt [1] is one of the sharpest-looking pieces of male fashion, and may perhaps be the pinnacle of it. However, some of us don't feel the desire to be hamstrung with all the baggage, the Kilt Police, and the incessant and juvenile questioning on what we've got on underneath.

[1] It might as well be trade-marked.
Yeah, the baggage and questions are why I've never worn a tartan kilt, and probably never will. Not even the one of the tartans that anyone can wear. It's also got me looking to move away from kilts in general, despite all the good aspects of it.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Dust wrote:Yeah, the baggage and questions are why I've never worn a tartan kilt, and probably never will. Not even the one of the tartans that anyone can wear. It's also got me looking to move away from kilts in general, despite all the good aspects of it.
This is the saddest aspect if it -- that the baggage can cause folks to not even explore the option, because it's a damned good option otherwise. However, mavericks generally don't take well to being told how to do things -- especially when The Way is generally known as dubious at best, and outright specious as worst.

No bones here -- The Kilt is a damned fine and attractive costume. The downside on that is that because of all the attached baggage it's largely precisely that -- a costume.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

One of the reasons I have avoided the kilt is the compliance of it... It's totally acceptable and not really pushing any boundaries.

That and, from my early research it did seem like it came with a lot of rules.

But when I think back to when I first got the idea of skirt wearing, yes the kilt was the first thing that came to mind. However, the price tag was quite discouraging. That's quite a bit of bank to lay down for something I wasn't even sure I was going to like. Thank God I observed regular men hiking in sun dresses and gypsy skirts on the trail... It told me that I wouldn't get shot and left for dead if I attempted this. A few weeks later a Macabi was in my mailbox, and the rest, as they say... is history.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
kingfish
Member Extraordinaire

Kilts and the fasion police.

Post by kingfish »

I think the "compliant" nature of the kilts is what has that style of garment far closer to (if not already inside) the envelope of normal attire. I also think that envelope expansion leveraged by the normalcy of the kilt is a valid path to normalize it for us regarding other styles.

The kilt is also the garment that got me out and about.

Roughly 19 years ago, one of my first outings involved a traditional kilt. I did get the occasional critiquing from the "fashion police" early on for not following traditional uniform standard(s), but even that hasn't happened it in quite a while. Even back then, the biggest deviation critique I received was centered around the "Three Stooges" tie I was sporting.

I quickly expanded it to include sarongs and even a couple of field hockey skirts. The field hockey skirt(s) got called kilts. Paired with a t-shirt, it got me a pretty glowing compliment from some random guy, and this was the summer of 2001.

Today, my kilt style garment collection has a couple more pleated skirts, a black utility style kilt, and two sport kilts. The field hockey skirts are in the back of the closet waiting for me to re-lose about 40 pounds.

Outside of formal settings, I deviate from the "standard look" with a certain sense of impunity and the look often fits more of a "pleated skirt" style. More recently, I've picked up a couple of cropped moto-style jackets out of Torrid and for tops tend to go for the turtleneck, henley, or polo shirt styles. And the best part about the kilted skirt look is that the morons, on seeing the pleats and casual style, seem to completely skip the whole drag queen stereotype and go directly to the far more benign "Scottish Heritage"/Bagpiper label.

In other words, it is hard for the fashion cops to bust you for not being kilt-compliant if it is far enough from it to make it obvious that the look is *intentionally* non-compliant.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Kilts and the fasion police.

Post by weeladdie18 »

kingfish wrote:
In other words, it is hard for the fashion cops to bust you for not being kilt-compliant if it is far enough from it to make it obvious that the look is *intentionally* non-compliant.
It is unfortunate that on the one hand the Scots are suggesting that a Traditional Scottish Kilt ...which is part of
of The Scottish National Dress....." is a skirt ".....

On the other hand it is suggested that a garment which has been designed and manufactured in a country far removed from Scotland is a " Kilt.... " .....although the garment is not..... " Kilt Compliant"......

I would suggest you call in your " Kilt Police " to sort out the use of The English language in The Skirt Cafe .....L O L
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Re: The fashion cops

Post by moonshadow »

Whew! And to think.... us freestylers only have to contend with Deuteronomy! :P
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Before Embarkation for WW11 a Kilted Scottish Highland Regiment were billited out in private homes close to London.

The Local Lassies admired the soldiers Kilts and asked where they had come from...The polite reply was " Ross Shire "

The lassies started a rumour that the Kilties were........... " Russians "......................
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

In France the field telephone systems were intercepted by the Germans , so British Messages were sent in Gallic by
The Highland Regiments......The Germans had no Gallic Interpreters.....So our Highland Regiments saved the day...
kingfish
Member Extraordinaire

Post by kingfish »

weeladdie18 wrote:
It is unfortunate that on the one hand the Scots are suggesting that a Traditional Scottish Kilt ...which is part of
of The Scottish National Dress....." is a skirt ".....

On the other hand it is suggested that a garment which has been designed and manufactured in a country far removed from Scotland is a " Kilt.... " .....although the garment is not..... " Kilt Compliant"......

I would suggest you call in your " Kilt Police " to sort out the use of The English language in The Skirt Cafe .....L O L
It is precisely that line-blurring ambiguity of terminology that enables us to expand the envelope of normal male attire further into the variety of skirts.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

kingfish wrote:precisely that line-blurring ambiguity of terminology that enables us to expand the envelope of normal male attire further into the variety of skirts.
I agree , just go with the flow with Men in Skirts and see what happens...............weeladdie
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

crfriend wrote:No bones here -- The Kilt is a damned fine and attractive costume. The downside on that is that because of all the attached baggage it's largely precisely that -- a costume.
I would agree with you Carl...Wearing the Kilt as a Social Costume in a community does present a sense of uniformity........

One might become involved with more serious problems than the Imaginary Kilt Police......
If one has not learnt how to wear the Kilt correctly within one's Kilt Wearing Community...................