Sightings "in the wild"

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
KellyRain

Re: Sightings "in the wild"

Post by KellyRain »

GerdG wrote:Sounds good and promising!

When I was in Tokyo in 2011 and 2013 including the districts Harajuku and Omotesando, I didn't see any men in kilts or skirts. But a lot of teenage girls in mini-kilts in various tartans.
I didn't see skirts on men other than cross dressing in that same time frame. I've been here since 2000. Early on I'd see the occasional goth or visual kei guy in a skirt. But recently I am seeing them fairly frequently. Still we are talking about 1-5 or so guys in a shopping area with a 100,000 people passing through. Omotesando on a Saturday now is insane compared to years past. In addition to the locals shopping there are massive groups of Chinese tourist shoppers and a lot more international people too. Still tiny numbers of men in skirts.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Japanese sighting as low as other International reports ......In S.W. U.K.....probably three or four last year....No noticeable change last year
6ft3Aussie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by 6ft3Aussie »

OK, this wasn't something I saw myself, but a friend who thinks it's cool said she saw another fellow wearing a black utility kilt, not too far away here in Brisbane just in the last week.
We were talking on Saturday and she mentioned it then, she told me she asked him where he got it and was told that he got it off the internet...who knows where though.

It most certainly was not me, but it doesn't surprise me, as I too have seen one or two blokes wearing what looked like utility kilts over the last few months.
I've seen a couple of blokes wearing sarongs or Island lavalavas recently as well, so they're out there.

Much cooler than sweaty shorts, especially when we have only had one day under 30°C (86°F) this year, and that day was 29.6°C (85.3°F)...Yesterday was 33°C or 91.5°F.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

6ft3Aussie wrote:OK, this wasn't something I saw myself, but a friend who thinks it's cool said she saw another fellow wearing a black utility kilt, not too far away here in Brisbane just in the last week.
We were talking on Saturday and she mentioned it then, she told me she asked him where he got it and was told that he got it off the internet...who knows where though.

It most certainly was not me, but it doesn't surprise me, as I too have seen one or two blokes wearing what looked like utility kilts over the last few months.
I've seen a couple of blokes wearing sarongs or Island lavalavas recently as well, so they're out there.

Much cooler than sweaty shorts, especially when we have only had one day under 30°C (86°F) this year, and that day was 29.6°C (85.3°F)...Yesterday was 33°C or 91.5°F.
Depending on material and design, they can be cooler than shorts or warmer than pants. Always more comfortable than either.
KellyRain

Post by KellyRain »

Saturday evening at a local 2nd hand shop I was checking out the designer section which often has men's used designer skirts for a decent price. After several months visiting this place I have never seen a guy in that section or in a skirt. Until this past Saturday.

To my amazement there was a Japanese guy somewhere between mid 40s and 50s wearing a very colorful and well made kilt. Bare legs, tall socks, boots and usually Tokyo men's fashion and jacket on top. Shopping with his wife and looking 100% at ease in his kilt. So I had to go up and say HI and invite him to connect to a few of us who are keen on kilts here in Tokyo.

Was a nice surprise.

Then on my way to our cafe for an event I stopped to pick up a nice wine for a friend's b-day at a local variety shop. There in line ahead of me, a guy in a long black skirt with a lovely and fashionable young lady on his arm. I was wearing a long black skirt as well and we traded approving nods.

Nice Saturday for skirts in my local area. This part of the city isn't known for high fashion, it is more a center of the city working family kind of place. So this was a nice surprise. We are slowly gaining ground.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Yesterday I saw a fellow in a Utilikilt at Fred Meyers. I made a point of complimenting him on his look. His very equivocal response told me he didn't get my point. Oh, right … I had dirty work to do that day so I was in my jeans. So I said, "Your kilt!" That got a smile out of him.

Then today in a Payless Shoe store while I was checking out the bargains, I saw this middle-aged guy with stringy, long, blonde hair in a denim mini, some kind of heels and a tight, knit top. I wasn't sure what I was looking at so I didn't say anything to him as we passed. He kind of looked like he had raided his teenaged daughters closet for some unknown reason and I'm not a very convincing liar, so I didn't say anything to him.

The point remains, there are more of us out there than we realize.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Well, you’re in Portland. If you don’t find kilted men there, there aren’t any. :lol:
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Derek Plattis
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Derek Plattis »

Saw a skirted man in Harrogate UK last night at he Empress. He was wearing a short denim skirt over black tights. I tried to talk to him but unfortunately didn't get the opportunity. I was in trousers that night. Had I been skirted it might have been easier to introduce myself to him. Was he anyone who contributes to this forum?

Derek
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I live within a hop from Harrogate but it wasn't me. It was the sort of gear I would have worn though.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

Just two days ago, while walking through the dunes, I was looking ate the carpark where kite surfers were changing from wet gear into dry gear. One was wearing after he had taken of his wet gear, a sort of hoody which came down to his knees. You could call it a dress considering the length. He was getting into his car with his female companion.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Gusto10 wrote:Just two days ago, while walking through the dunes, I was looking ate the carpark where kite surfers were changing from wet gear into dry gear. One was wearing after he had taken of his wet gear, a sort of hoody which came down to his knees. You could call it a dress considering the length. He was getting into his car with his female companion.
I have one of those hoodie dresses, my friend gave it to me on my birthday long a go before I started to wear dresses and it has been in the box ever since and I had forgotten about it until now. I am going to dig it out and see if it fits.
:lol:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Yeah,

The Klan wear white ones.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Fred in Skirts wrote:
Gusto10 wrote:Just two days ago, while walking through the dunes, I was looking ate the carpark where kite surfers were changing from wet gear into dry gear. One was wearing after he had taken of his wet gear, a sort of hoody which came down to his knees. You could call it a dress considering the length. He was getting into his car with his female companion.
I have one of those hoodie dresses, my friend gave it to me on my birthday long a go before I started to wear dresses and it has been in the box ever since and I had forgotten about it until now. I am going to dig it out and see if it fits.
:lol:
I have never seen one of those garments.. sounds practical for those who wish to change after going for a dip....the hood does seem to be a fashion thing , rather than have any practical value..............weeladdie
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Kirbstone wrote:Yeah,

The Klan wear white ones.

Tom
Sunday was a pleasant sunny afternoon... I went down to a local beach and watched a small coaster come in and load road ballast stone ....
probably bound for the Continent
I then saw a gentleman wearing a Traditional Kilt in the Cornish National Tartan...I have not seen The Kilt being worn ,here in Cornwall ,
since last year.....

Do the Klan chase those members of the Skirt Café who consider that the Traditional Scottish Male Kilt is a skirt ?..............L.O.L.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

weeladdie18 wrote:Do the Klan chase those members of the Skirt Café who consider that the Traditional Scottish Male Kilt is a skirt ?..............L.O.L.
WL no they don't anymore the Klan is for the most part more of a news phenomenon than doing actual harm to any one. Since the Government has basically outlawed it and set the punishments high enough most just don't want the hassle. :alien:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.