What is your favorite skirt for flying and why?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Re: What is your favorite skirt for flying and why?

Post by r.m.anderson »

denimini wrote:At least the seats in an aircraft are mini skirt friendly; not like some trains or busses where the seats face other passengers.

I haven't flown in a skirt as none of them are aerodynamic enough :)

I haven't flown in a skirt as none of them are aerodynamic enough

All you need is a propulsion vehicle like a broomstick that is always apapro with a skirt or dress
Ya donna need any pointy hat - you won't be making any sonic shock waves
due care on landing - a skirt is not a parachute (petticoat drag chute)
Avoid having a splash-down (melting) water landing
Click your heels three times to resume normal skirted demeanor you aren't in Kansas anymore !

Oh you were discussing commercial air travel and not Hollywood theme park stuff !

Must admit wearing a kilt or a skirt is pushing the take (off) envelope for the common public.
But it is all legal - let them eat cake !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Witch style of skirt do you prefer to wear with your broomstick ?...........L.O.L.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Perhaps this is the thread to discuss the flying experiences of Robert Burns the Immortal Scottish Baird.

It was said that he grew up in Alowa and was a very philanthropic gentleman....
One of his friends invented a Miners Saftey Lamp....As this lamp did not flare up during use ,......
Burns considers it might be suitable for modification to be used as a Kilt Warmer hanging benieth his Kilt....

On the first Burns Night in Alowa ...Burns wore his Kilt Warmer benieth his Kilt and
performed a Scottish Highland Sword Dance in the village street
to the accompaniment of the Local Piper....

The local residents were waiting for the outdoor performance under a clear and star light sky...

As his dancing became more energetic Burns shouts of joy turned to screams of pain...
Smoke poured out from benieth his Kilt.....Then a big sheet of flame.....
There was a technical problem with the Kilt Warmer.......Slowly Burns rose from the ground...

His speed of assent increased and he headed across the roof tops of his village at a height of 200 feet
with a sheet of flame coming out of his Kilt

This epic space travel story set Burns and his local community at least 200 years ahead of the International Space Race.

Any Kilt Wearing Community will wear their Kilts with pride when they share a wee dram to celebrate Burns Night
My friends always thought this tale of the Heritage of Scotland was worthy of another dram........L.O.L.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

weeladdie18 wrote:Perhaps this is the thread to discuss the flying experiences of Robert Burns the Immortal Scottish Baird...
I often wondered why he was called "Burns".
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Just to set the record straight, Rabbie Burns never wore The Kilt and never flew unless fuelled by whisky.
The Flying Scotsman is a wholly different entity.
The Davy safety lamp was not responsible as he died in 1796, nineteen years before its introduction.
Steve.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

STEVIE wrote:Just to set the record straight, Rabbie Burns never wore The Kilt and never flew unless fuelled by whisky.
The Flying Scotsman is a wholly different entity.
The Davy safety lamp was not responsible as he died in 1796, nineteen years before its introduction.
Steve.
I stand corrected.....I do apologise gentlemen.......
As far as I am aware the crew of the Flying Scotsman were well " Trained " .............

This was a very fast mode of transport on the right track but never actually ... " flew " .... down the line..............L.O.L.
eightofnine

Post by eightofnine »

I worn a skirt a few times knee length and i have been really cold on the plane .I have had to use the blanket to keep warm ,I might try a longer skirt next time .
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

eightofnine wrote:I worn a skirt a few times knee length and i have been really cold on the plane .I have had to use the blanket to keep warm ,I might try a longer skirt next time .
Airplane air conditioning is among the reasons I chose an ankle length skirt for that flight.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

pelmut wrote: I often wondered why he was called "Burns".
I believe it was his father's surname.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

I have more times been flying in kilts. Every time I have been wearing my USA Kilts Casual which is closed by Velcro and there has no metal parts. Then I just remove my belt and sporran and send it through the x-ray. No alarms set – except for the first time. I was wearing garters and their metal snaps must have been enough.
GerdG

There ARE viable alternatives to trousers.
andrewsh

Post by andrewsh »

I found this lungi/longyi the most comfortable skirt for me to fly in:

It has, just as any lungi, a downside: after sitting in it for long time the tie loosens, so when you need to go to the loo you may find the lungi is very loose, so you have to hold it to prevent it from falling onto the floor :)
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

And if I had those abs, I’d fly exactly like that, skirted and shirtless!
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
kidme

Post by kidme »

I have flown ultra long hauls in mini skirt, calf length pencil denim skirt, and loose ankle length skirt. No issue getting through security, been through multiple airports inside USA and Asia.

My favorite is the ankle length skirt. Loose enough for me to position my legs on the plane without any trouble. Long Pencil skirt is tight - makes sitting in Economy even more miserable. Mini rides up gradually when I shift around in the seat, if I am not careful.

The only “incident” I had was after collecting my bag at SFO (transit), while waiting for my colleague to collect his, I was stop by a TSA who did a extra check on my passport (at the belt). He asked why am I wearing a skirt; my response was I wanted to be as comfortable as I can on the ultra long flight...

Still thinking over if I want to be wearing a skirt in coming trip... since it is flying from summer weather to winter temperature.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

andrewsh wrote:I found this lungi/longyi the most comfortable skirt for me to fly in:

It has, just as any lungi, a downside: after sitting in it for long time the tie loosens, so when you need to go to the loo you may find the lungi is very loose, so you have to hold it to prevent it from falling onto the floor :)
I have one from them and it is very nice. The fabric is excellent quality and very comfortable.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

My favorite skirt for flying is a dress.

In fact, a particular dress. 2 of the 3 times I flew in a dress it was a black printed number from Ann Taylor Factory. Knee length.

The third time was a tank style minidress that I had bought in Hawai'i. Perhaps flying from Hawai'i to Oregon in the middle of March in a light tank dress with only a cardigan and a leather jacket for warmth when I arrived wasn't the best plan, but I survived. And I was recognized a few weeks later in a fabric store by the lady I had sat next during the flight!

As far as TSA hassles went, none really. If it's a concern, pay $40 for a TSA Easy Pass or whatever they call (Pre Screening Pass). Anyway, they check you out before. When they determine you have no connection to a terrorist group, you're good to go in the shorter, faster line that basically just gives your carry-ons a cursory check and no groping.

Oh yes, why? Because it's a nice, classy dress and it was the first one I took the chance to fly in so I think of it as my "travel dress."
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.