Good news...

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
crfriend
Master Barista

Good news...

Post by crfriend »

... even though it's not really news, it's nice to see someone going back to his [musical] roots....

In 1975 a young man in the the UK released his third studio album of "long-format" music called Ommadawn. The chap was Mike Oldfield, he of Tubular Bells fame. Ommadawn was released on a plastic (to be precise, vinyl) disc of roughly 12 Imperial inches in diameter, to be spun around its central perforation at precisely 33 and 1/3 revolutions per minute, and contained grooves that represented the sound that would be emitted from the appropriate reproduction apparatus. It was a delight (or at least I thought so), and was part of the rather complex soundtrack that guided me into the long and winding road that led me to being the man that I am today (or at least in part). It had but three tracks to it, the first track filled all of "side 1" of the disc, the other two occupied "side 2" with the second track being much longer than the first.

Here it is: in its entirety.

Fast forward to 2017, and Mr. Oldfield, now many years older than his younger self, had been toying with a second-cut at the thing -- and made good in January of that year, and the result is remarkable. Not only does Mr. Oldfield return gracefully and sensitively to the "long format", but does an entirely nice job in Return to Ommadawn. It's actually recognisable as an extension and reflective re-thought of the original. It represents the first time since 1978 that he's employed the long format, and he remains masterful at it.

Two parts only: Part 1 and Part 2.

Turn the lights down and the speakers up. It passes faster than one might expect.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Good news...

Post by denimini »

Thanks for the nostagia trip and interesting links.
I acknowledge that some here might need the detailed explanation of what a LP record is :)
I am not a fan of vinyl, living in an extremely dusty environment, but understand the attraction of analogue media.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Thanks Carl, I will listen to it when I can devote a section of my quiet time with no-one else around [0]. I never did rid myself of our vinyl collection, not being a true believer that digital was necessarily better than analogue [1]. I do listen to them when MOH is not around and still play some of my heavy metal with the wick turned up. Being in a detached house it perhaps bothers no-one but our cats and bird. [2] Brain Salad Surgery is a particular favourite as also Deep Purple and The Who.

[0] Others in the house at present.
[1] That vinyl is making a comeback is similar to men in skirts - currently a niche market with the potential to be huge and successful, but not necessarily yet.
[2] Can cats and a bird get a headache from loud music?
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Sinned wrote:[2] Can cats and a bird get a headache from loud music?
To the best of my knowledge it doesn't seem to bother cats all that much unless you crank it to the point where the rafters are shaking. This comes from experience. I have no experience with birds.

The system and room it used to be installed in was a pairing made in the heavens. It was a room that one could drive to the sonic intensity of a live concert, yet folks in an adjoining room -- with an open archway separating the two spaces -- could converse in normal tones of voice. I miss that place, and I miss the machine I used to drive it with; I do not miss the bit of carbon-based unpleasantness that my late ex- became. (I have no place to set the thing up now; it's in pieces, some of which are here, but, like a major pipe-organ, it was very much an "installation piece" and simply would not work where I live now, even if I had room for all of it. :cry:
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!