Exiting the Cult of Social Media

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Exiting the Cult of Social Media

Post by Fred in Skirts »

I just recently received a new phone (one of the smart phones) and the biggest thing I use it for is talking to my daughter in Omaha. It has the interthingy but I seldom use it unless I really need something and am not at home. I seldom now go on my face book page and do not have any other social media accounts. The most time I spend on the web is right here at the cafe. I also do some shopping on Amazon too.

I believe that future generations will be connected at birth with bio-electronic computers installed in the brain. We will be slaves to the world governments and will do as we are told by them.
MoonsWifeJenn wrote:how insurance agencies are coming out with a way to track how you drive like a gps. If you are too hard at driving they can make our cars not start. Now that’s pure craziness. I do agree with you about the interlinks of our minds.
Remember BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU!
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
MoonsWifeJenn

Post by MoonsWifeJenn »

Fred in Skirts wrote:I just recently received a new phone (one of the smart phones) and the biggest thing I use it for is talking to my daughter in Omaha. It has the interthingy but I seldom use it unless I really need something and am not at home. I seldom now go on my face book page and do not have any other social media accounts. The most time I spend on the web is right here at the cafe. I also do some shopping on Amazon too.

I believe that future generations will be connected at birth with bio-electronic computers installed in the brain. We will be slaves to the world governments and will do as we are told by them.
MoonsWifeJenn wrote:how insurance agencies are coming out with a way to track how you drive like a gps. If you are too hard at driving they can make our cars not start. Now that’s pure craziness. I do agree with you about the interlinks of our minds.
Remember BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU!
The saddest thing is it seems like we’re actually heading in that direction now Fred. Before long we’ll need a stamp or chip just to buy food.
❤️Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage❤️
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

It sure is scary. This actually reminds me of something Moon stated. He told me something about how insurance agencies are coming out with a way to track how you drive like a gps. If you are too hard at driving they can make our cars not start. Now that’s pure craziness. I do agree with you about the interlinks of our minds. You can’t even walk into a store or restaurant without people on their phones. It’s either Facebook or Snapchat they have pulled up. It’s like mind control.

Yes it is like mind control. I am sure there is a historical quote that mentions occupy the masses while the elite work their plan.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

MoonsWifeJenn wrote:Amber’s addicted. There’s been many fights with her to put it away but she doesn’t listen. Since she’s turned 19 she has a go ____ yourself attitude when it comes to us wanting her to do something. Only way she’ll do it is if she’s in control.
She should at least be made aware of the fact that her behaviour is deeply and profoundly disrespectful of all those in her vicinity -- especially if they're trying to live their own lives, or trying to communicate to the one using the "device".

We had an idiot this noon in where I take lunch who was sitting with three of his buddies and was yapping on his speaker 'phone. I really don't care about his 1099 taxes, but the part where he was discussing what sounded very much like a drugs-drop was interesting in a voyeuristic way. I made it a point to ask the bartender if they'd ever considered putting in cell' 'phone jammers and all he could do was shrug his shoulders and say that there's nothing they can do.

I used to joke about this sort of stuff back in the '90s and pointedly suggested to several bartenders that they put in a "cone of silence" that would jam cellular signals. It's not a joke any more. Any sort of publican who respects his clientèle should explicitly be allowed by law to install jammers on premises.
Don’t get us wrong we love her very much but this is my point in how technology and Social Media have ruined teenagers. All she wants to do is play on her phone.
She'll be doing it sometime in her car -- in motion -- and not notice the traffic stopped ahead of her. The rest will be entirely predictable history. Or she'll be doing it someplace less than safe and get mugged. Or she may be doing it and because of that miss a cue that could change her entire life for the better. Is that the future she wants? We isolate ourselves at our peril -- especially when we do it in public.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

moonshadow wrote:There will be no more "out and about in the world" anymore... everyone will be home.
Hi Moon and Jenn,
My kids are 25 and 30 so the teen years are well past. When they were at that stage social media just did not have the mass penetration we are seeing nowadays.
The problem with being a parent at any stage is that there is no formula for success. I won't offer up any spurious advice on how to deal with Amber. I can only send my best wishes to the 3 of you for a happy outcome.
One thing that I have noticed that social media fixation is really not exclusive to the teenagers among us. There are plenty of more mature years who really should know better.
Moon, I really want to say something about Facebook and being "out and about". I needn't go into my current health stuff, that's becoming boring. I just have not been out and about in any meaningful way since October last year. I have used FB as a pseudo window on the world. I do not spend vast amounts of time on it and also stay very aware of the pitfalls too. I recently had a virtual chat with another café patron regarding his holiday in the other side of the world while he was actually there. No substitute for meat space communications but they do help to mitigate some of the feelings of isolation.
I think that the answer is to keep perspective and proportion on the whole subject and never let it become paramount in life.
I am also fortunate that the beginning of the end of my confinement will be next week. The first operation is scheduled for the 13th February. At the first opportunity, I will certainly be out and about. I even have a new outfit worked out for the occasion too.
Steve.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

STEVIE wrote:I am also fortunate that the beginning of the end of my confinement will be next week. The first operation is scheduled for the 13th February. At the first opportunity, I will certainly be out and about. I even have a new outfit worked out for the occasion too.
That's awesome news, Steve. Here's hoping it goes perfectly to plan!

And, you're absolutely right. There is no substitute for personal interaction in the wild -- i.e. "meat-space". The best the other bits can do is provide a rather poor simulacrum.
MoonsWifeJenn

Post by MoonsWifeJenn »

crfriend wrote:
MoonsWifeJenn wrote:Amber’s addicted. There’s been many fights with her to put it away but she doesn’t listen. Since she’s turned 19 she has a go ____ yourself attitude when it comes to us wanting her to do something. Only way she’ll do it is if she’s in control.
She should at least be made aware of the fact that her behaviour is deeply and profoundly disrespectful of all those in her vicinity -- especially if they're trying to live their own lives, or trying to communicate to the one using the "device".

We had an idiot this noon in where I take lunch who was sitting with three of his buddies and was yapping on his speaker 'phone. I really don't care about his 1099 taxes, but the part where he was discussing what sounded very much like a drugs-drop was interesting in a voyeuristic way. I made it a point to ask the bartender if they'd ever considered putting in cell' 'phone jammers and all he could do was shrug his shoulders and say that there's nothing they can do.

I used to joke about this sort of stuff back in the '90s and pointedly suggested to several bartenders that they put in a "cone of silence" that would jam cellular signals. It's not a joke any more. Any sort of publican who respects his clientèle should explicitly be allowed by law to install jammers on premises.
Don’t get us wrong we love her very much but this is my point in how technology and Social Media have ruined teenagers. All she wants to do is play on her phone.
She'll be doing it sometime in her car -- in motion -- and not notice the traffic stopped ahead of her. The rest will be entirely predictable history. Or she'll be doing it someplace less than safe and get mugged. Or she may be doing it and because of that miss a cue that could change her entire life for the better. Is that the future she wants? We isolate ourselves at our peril -- especially when we do it in public.

I’ve officially banned all devices at the Kitchen table with Moons back up. As of right now Moon and Amber are having a very pleasant conversation with absolutely no devices at the table. They’re laughing and having a good time which is music to my ears.
❤️Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage❤️
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

MoonsWifeJenn wrote:I’ve officially banned all devices at the Kitchen table with Moons back up. As of right now Moon and Amber are having a very pleasant conversation with absolutely no devices at the table. They’re laughing and having a good time which is music to my ears.
That is absolutely wonderful news on all fronts! Life, the way life should be.
MoonsWifeJenn

Post by MoonsWifeJenn »

crfriend wrote:
MoonsWifeJenn wrote:I’ve officially banned all devices at the Kitchen table with Moons back up. As of right now Moon and Amber are having a very pleasant conversation with absolutely no devices at the table. They’re laughing and having a good time which is music to my ears.
That is absolutely wonderful news on all fronts! Life, the way life should be.

I totally agree. It brings back actual conversations before devices took over.

Stevie- Thank You. I’m praying for a great outcome with your upcoming surgery.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Jenn and Carl,
Thanks for the good wishes, they mean a lot. BTW, I have designated the 13th February as Hip-Hop Day, seems fitting.
Jenn, I like that you have called a ban on devices.
That is real good, stay with it and the dividends will surely follow.
For what it's worth, no matter how old, she will always be your little un and a worry too.
Personally, I would not have it any other way.
Steve.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Jenn/Moon/Steve, first of all I hope your treatment is successful and give you mobility back again. Like you my kids were too young for the mobile phone phenomenon. I do have concerns for my grandchildren though and all their generation. It's good on your mealtime ban. I was going to suggest it but you worked it out for yourselves. Do you still play games with Amber? You know like Risk, Monopoly. Payday and so on. I hope so as they can be very liberating and cathartic in this day and age. If you do, ban the phones during those times too. Communication face to face is vital to picking up visual clues about what is REALLY going on in the other's mind. The youth are in danger of not learning social interactive cues and hence generate huge misunderstandings. I wish you all the best in forming civil understandings between yourselves. And Carl is right - the peril of being so obsessed with THE MOBILE that you react to it in situations that are highly dangerous is real and potentially life threatening. After all on receipt of a call/text the initial and instantaneous reaction is to reach for the phone and respond rather than wait a short period for a more apt time. Worrying.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
MoonsWifeJenn

Post by MoonsWifeJenn »

Sinned wrote:Jenn/Moon/Steve, first of all I hope your treatment is successful and give you mobility back again. Like you my kids were too young for the mobile phone phenomenon. I do have concerns for my grandchildren though and all their generation. It's good on your mealtime ban. I was going to suggest it but you worked it out for yourselves. Do you still play games with Amber? You know like Risk, Monopoly. Payday and so on. I hope so as they can be very liberating and cathartic in this day and age. If you do, ban the phones during those times too. Communication face to face is vital to picking up visual clues about what is REALLY going on in the other's mind. The youth are in danger of not learning social interactive cues and hence generate huge misunderstandings. I wish you all the best in forming civil understandings between yourselves. And Carl is right - the peril of being so obsessed with THE MOBILE that you react to it in situations that are highly dangerous is real and potentially life threatening. After all on receipt of a call/text the initial and instantaneous reaction is to reach for the phone and respond rather than wait a short period for a more apt time. Worrying.

We do play games. Our favorite is Yahtzee. Since Amber drives Moons truck there was one time she glanced at her phone while driving my car. We both rolled her ___ for it. Since then and I’ve ridden with her she refuses to grab her phone or bother with it while driving. I keep on her and she knows if I or Daddy catches her all driving privileges are revoked and she will be made to walk as her punishment. Say I’m strict I could careless but that’s my baby and she’s all I have. My other three children look down from Heaven watching her. Life is way to precious for a text or Facebook notifications. My daughters life is important and those around her she puts at risk acting careless.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Hey Jenn, you are right to be strict. Far better that than be minus a daughter. Believe me, I lost one son to Leukaemia [0] and it's not something I would want to repeat or wish on anyone. I have had small car accidents in the past due to just a moment's inattention so I know what I'm talking about. The trouble is that the younger the person is the less they think about their mortality. As an old fogy it's becoming the elephant in the room [1]. Yahtzee is good. We like Uno played with more than one deck. Alsop jigsaws with a large number of pieces ( 2000 minimum ) which can be left out to work on over several days, say over Christmas. 500 or 1000 piece ones are good for shorter sessions.

[0] Eleven years today at 15:50 GMT. Spookily he had a clock in his bedroom that stopped at exactly the time he died. We have not restarted it.
[1] 65 in June. Scary as I have to think about pension schemes even though I will not retire at 65. Can't really afford to and retiring would mean admitting that I'm getting on a bit!!!!
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

I went on Facebook and Twitter for the first time after I retired about a year ago. I almost regret doing so, because they are both designed to stimulate anger, and I see that I could be a bit of an anger junkie if I didn't step back at times and say "Whoa, Nellie...let's take a break from this ****." So social media is the new tobacco; addictive to the max, like "vaping" to exacerbate the sharp edges in one's realm of opinion. I am of an age where I wouldn't even think of pulling out a phone or iPad at the dinner table, but damn if my son won't do it in a heartbeat, unless we have guests, when he behaves with general shy courtesy. Glad to hear you've beaten back that habit in your home, Jenn.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
MoonsWifeJenn

Post by MoonsWifeJenn »

dillon wrote:I went on Facebook and Twitter for the first time after I retired about a year ago. I almost regret doing so, because they are both designed to stimulate anger, and I see that I could be a bit of an anger junkie if I didn't step back at times and say "Whoa, Nellie...let's take a break from this ****." So social media is the new tobacco; addictive to the max, like "vaping" to exacerbate the sharp edges in one's realm of opinion. I am of an age where I wouldn't even think of pulling out a phone or iPad at the dinner table, but damn if my son won't do it in a heartbeat, unless we have guests, when he behaves with general shy courtesy. Glad to hear you've beaten back that habit in your home, Jenn.

Thank you Dillon. Yes it’s a bad habit. Tonight we went out to dinner. The table had two older couples and a younger teen, anyways he was on his cellphone while eating. I just shook my head.